Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"It doesn't fit your style"

EddiePlaysBass

I was discussing some upcoming gigs for my band with my girlfriend last night, and all of a sudden she says: "I don't really like your upright. It doesn't fit the style of your band, an electric bass is way cooler."

Got me stumped, really. I tried explaining that most early rock'n'roll and most rockabilly is played on upright (granted, not electric upright, but still) but she held her ground. I'm hoping it is just my total lack of upright skills which caused her to feel this way :grin: Because I do plan to play more upright on our gigs. Perhaps I should dance around a bit more ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I notice about these URB's is that they stand on a tripod whereas the the traditional double bass has a spike. In Rockabily etc a lot of the visuals come from spinning the bass around and "dancing" with it. I imagine with the tripod this would be quite awkward.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

That's the vibe I get from my own WAV4. I feel like I could play a rockabilly gig on an EUB. But will it fit the overall presentation like an acoustic upright? The visual elements of a show can be significant.

And from an appearance standpoint, I can understand the confusion that an EUB might create with the audience. Just what is this instrument? I know that I was pretty puzzled when I first saw one. I think it was during an SNL appearance for Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians. But how well versed is the audience in bass gear? I've heard audience members refer to an EUB as "a pogo stick with strings".

When it comes down to it, I think this harkens back to something that's far too common. That people will criticise things that they don't understand. Or perhaps they're "listening with their eyes".

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Or perhaps they're "listening with their eyes".

Hmmmm, yes. I know that when I played fretless on a recent gig, really no one noticed any difference. Most likely because they didn't pay attention to the bass, but still ... :grin:

Regardless, I'll play the crap out of the WAV, after all that's what I bought it for ...

... as I can be a pain in the ass, I'll suggest that you play the electric bass.... They sound soo much better to me.... regardless of genre.

There.... now I did it.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

When I think rockabilly I picture that cat splapping away on his URB. For example the Stray Cats. Those instruments (big body Gretsch, a doghouse, and simple drumm kit)just look right for the genera. An ERB does seem a bit too modern looking for that style not that that should matter but people I think DO listen with their eyes. With live music anyway. Maybe your girl is used to more of the traditional "rock band" were the bass player is using a bass guitar.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Eff that. Play what you want. It's your music. I've seen rockabilly and psychobilly players spin, flip and climb on their URBs. I don't do that. Try gluing some cardboard wings on your EUB so it looks like a URB. The band leader is the only person other than myself that can comment on which instrument might be most appropriate for me to play.

it is funny/ironic that you go to all that effort to get an authentic tone that is music appropriate and yet it looks all wrong.

Change your girlfriend. It's cheaper.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

That's the vibe I get from my own WAV4. I feel like I could play a rockabilly gig on an EUB. But will it fit the overall presentation like an acoustic upright? The visual elements of a show can be significant.

Yes.

For rockabilly

http://images.miretail.com/products/full/KingDoublebass/633802263183124245.jpghttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/7/0/1/553701.jpghttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/8/6/6/432866.jpg

In that order.

Sorry.

Push the button Frank.

Just to be clear here, was your lady saying she didn't like the sound of the WAV, or the look?

Both. Mind you, first time I gigged with it, the WAV was too loud compared to the Jazz, and second time I gigged with it, the WAV was not loud enough, courtesy of the worst soundmen I've worked with so far :rolleyes: Not that I've worked with loads of them, but these guys took the cake.

Archived