Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What else do you do?

jeremy c

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

day job: software architect/developer for a large computer company working on enterprise management software

hobbies: I used to like to play sports (tennis, ultimate, basketball), mountain bike (when I lived in Oregon) and build stuff or do crafty stuff (that must involve risk of severe injury in some way, and no paper cuts don't count) with my wife. Since the arrival of the kids (now 12 and 6) a little time for music is my escape and the rest of my free time is pretty much dedicated to kid stuff (scouts, kid sports, supervising homework/projects, playing games, etc.). Currently supervising building a small ballista for my son's science fair project this year (he did a trebuchet last year) so getting in some building fun there.

school: I'd love to go back sometime but we all like to eat so staying working seems like a better idea

My career is in IT. I started as a programmer, and other than the hyper-technical or network stuff, I've done a variety of jobs. I'm currently a "client partner", meaning I help translate the needs of my business unit to IT people. Lately I've been helping a new team with configuring Salesforce.com and doing database reporting work(which I've done lots of). Unlike many technical people, I enjoy the "dealing with people" part of my job, and often am the bridge between groups of people.

I do some stuff around the house - I had done mechanical work as a kid, and then worked rebuilding appliance parts (before IT). I don't do too much of that now - there doesn't seem to be any time.

My wife (31 yrs) bikes and does a great job taking care of our family. While my kids are grown, we are still close to them.

I play at Mass on Sunday with the youth group but am not involved much in church beyond that (I used to do more). Stonefly takes some of my time despite our infrequent rehearsal/gigs. I watch TV, read (including audiobooks), and have a great extended family. And I sometimes help moderate a forum.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Day job: translator.

Hobbies: chess, reading. Writing pointless entries to musician websites, for people who have nothing better to do than read them... LOL

Mostly I'm a guitarist and mandolinist and flute beginner. I can't call myself a real bassist but I can play simple parts on one, and sure enjoy it when I do!

I make my dough by leading evaluation research projects of educational programs and policies. Can you say, "randomized control trial?" Good! I knew you could!

I'm dad to two wonderful kids (elementary and middle school), and I'm happy that they both have begun musical journeys of their own on flute and guitar.

I've been a runner for a long time, although injuries have been on again, off again since I turned about 35. Nonetheless, I love to put on the shoes and get out in the world for a run, and willingly tolerate all kinds of weather and terrain.

I play bass for fun. I enjoy playing in an original rock band (see sig), although we're on a break right now due to various family transitions for multiple band members. They also let me blow on harmonica from time to time. I'm working on getting another band up and running, also originals, but a little more along the lines of rock/soul/r&b. I also play one jazz gig a year at the company winter holiday party, and consider myself fortunate that I have some outstanding musicians as colleagues.

I like a nice beer, and have become partial to IPAs of recent. getz76 brews a nice IPA, and I've heard that Carey Nordstrand does as well, although I haven't tried his brew. Smuttynose IPA might be my current favorite that's available commercially.

I played rugby back in the day in college, which I enjoyed a great deal. It also meant I got to travel to Ireland, Wales, and England while a student, helping me to develop my appreciation of a nice ale. I try to catch the occasional match on cable tv when I can, and look forward to the next World Cup in 2011 and the return of rugby to the Olympics in 2016.

I make an annual plea to Mr. Sadowsky to gift me a bass for my birthday. He has been cordial. He has been kind. He has been a gentleman. However, he has yet to gift me a bass.

And, like Thomas, I help to moderate this forum.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

After 15 years in the mortgage business, that bubble blew up in '06. I work for an insurance investment company. Job's ok; the commute is hell. (Ok, so it's not quite as long as some in NY or LA; but still bad enough)

I love rollercoasters & theme parks; reading (history, sci fi, theology, comics... er, graphic novels, biographies, music catalogs, BP mag); cooking; eating; playing board games; The Finer Things Club; bad movies; criticizing; soccer (can't play much anymore- bad knees; but help coach my kids); Scouting activities with my kids (anybody want to buy some Girl Scout cookies?); long walks on the beach; watching my kids in theater productions (in fact, this time last year, the whole family was in a local produciton of "Scrooge & Marley"- I was Bob Cratchit); and general Tomfoolery. And bass & guitar playing, in church, with the band, anywhere else that will let me...

I used to like painting miniatures, too. My Space Orks will crush you, O9. Oar knott.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Presently I'm employed as an underground electrician... not in the normal sense (as in the guy who buries power cables by the roadside) but literally 3000 feet underground in the largest primary producing Molybdenum mine in the country... about 45 miles or so outside of Denver. It's a great job, definitely unique and very rewarding. I've been with the electrical department for 2 years plus a little. Before that, I was a miner, at this same mine, doing the real fun stuff... drilling, blasting, basically using explosives to turn a mountain into small rocks and moving them to a place where they can be processed into moly.

I've done many jobs, like a lot of us here, I see, starting in the mining business at 16, in various capacities, throwing in a few half-hearted aborted attempts at college, farming, a stint in the Marines, logging, commercial fishing, hotel management, cable TV/internet/IT services and network administration, massage therapy... the list goes on. It's been a fun filled, adventure packed 39 years.

Currently I am playing bass and guitar on the worship team at church, doing a little at-home composing and recording, and spending quality time with my family.

I have a big one... my lovely, wonderful and fortunately VERY understanding (3rd and LAST!!) wife, 8 kids and a large dog. No livestock at this time.

Other hobbies/pastimes include cooking, photography, website building, 3D modeling and animation, electronics tinkering (effects pedals, gadgets etc.) and avoiding yardwork at all costs.

DX

[Edit]Incidently, anyone travelling to or through the Denver area who might be interested in seeing what it looks like 3000' under the surface is more than welcome to hit me up and I'll see what I can do about arranging a little tour. It is very interesting, and a huge part of our coutry's heritage.

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Anyone remember the "six word biography" from a couple of years ago? I came up with, "Musician by design, salesman by necessity." I got a BA in jazz studies in college, which is why I currently sell windows for a large home improvement company. In the small bit of free time my new job allows, I play drums in the Shannon Tower Band. I am also a full-time husband and homeowner, trying to figure out how to get my house put back together after the wife and I tore it apart in a quest for floor space. The new floors are almost ready to go down... Otherwise: a good pale ale, Alabama football, politics/current events/solving all the world's problems, and muscle cars occupy my brain.

My current fantasy is to load the trunk of a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with cases of Mirror Pond Pale Ale and run down a few hundred congressmen on my way to the Alabama/Auburn game, where my band would play at halftime, and afterwards I'd sell a new window package to all 92,000 people in the stands.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

My current fantasy is to load the trunk of a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with cases of Mirror Pond Pale Ale and run down a few hundred congressmen on my way to the Alabama/Auburn game, where my band would play at halftime, and afterwards I'd sell a new window package to all 92,000 people in the stands.

I would like to ride along, especially when you are running over congressmen.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

What else do I do?...

Well, I work a full time job. I also have a full time class schedule in college. I have a 2 1/2 yrs old daughter and a beautiful wife that I stay pretty busy with. I work sessions at a local studio (though sessions have pretty much stopped because my availability has decreased since I started school in Sept). I do a lot!! ;)

Josh Senic

Session Bassist

Pocket Grooves

Laying Down The Low End

http://www.wix.com/pocketgroovesgso/official

Married 16 years. To the same woman. We have 2 girls and a boy. Our oldest daughter left for Michigan in the fall to attend Oakland University. Her Major? Music. My younger daughter and son are in high school and looking very much forward to getting out from under my thumb.

I work for a smallish (150 emp.) roller bearing manufacturer. I am the sole CNC programmer. It keeps me busy. Very.

I like holding hands, walks on the beach, puppies, and Scotch.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Being a Scott, I am proud of our family distillery, "Oban" Have you tried it?

Personally, I very much like MacCallan single malt.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Can you get our politicians whilst you're at it?

Alex

No problem. Except that I'd probably do it in a Bentley Continental loaded with cases of Guinness, on the way to a Man United game. As long as there's good beer, a hot car, dead politicians, and sports mayhem involved, sign me up.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

After working as a street peddler for 11 years (fruit, flowers to Christmas trees, and everything in between) I decided to get a real job after graduate school. I currently work for the government in an investigative capacity here in NYC. It's not one of those, "If I tell you, I'll have to kill you" sort of things, but I might kick over your trash can if you're not careful.

Other than musical related hobbies, I enjoy a nice pint of the dark stuff from Dublin, sleeping, and my newly rediscovered love of video games...in that order.

Being a Scott, I am proud of our family distillery, "Oban" Have you tried it?

Personally, I very much like MacCallan single malt.

Rocky

Have yet to try Oban. I have recently become a HUGE fan of Caol Ila.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Archived