Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

noise gate

simus35

i would like to know if somebody know this compagny. because i want to buy a noise gate and the only one i know is boss but i'm not a big fan of boss.

Artec

http://www.artecsound.com/effect/se-ngt.htm

or this one Mars effects usa. this one is FUZZ AND NOISE GATE + 6 BAND EQ CONTROL

http://marsfxusa.com/fuzz.aspx

thanks again for the info

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would like to know if somebody know this compagny. because i want to buy a noise gate and the only one i know is boss but i'm not a big fan of boss.

Artec

http://www.artecsound.com/effect/se-ngt.htm

or this one Mars effects usa. this one is FUZZ AND NOISE GATE + 6 BAND EQ CONTROL

http://marsfxusa.com/fuzz.aspx

thanks again for the info

I've never heard of either company. The strangely non-idiomatic use of English on the Mars FX USA site tells me these are probably Asian.

The Boss noise gate has the advantage of variable release time so it doesn't stutter as the signal hovers around the threshold. I use one in my FX loop all the time & it never unnaturally cuts off decays as some other units have. You might give Boss another try on this because it's a good design.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Never heard of either of 'em.

If you need a noise-gate or noise-suppressor, that "Fuzz + EQ + Noise-Gate" is NOT what you want!

Combining them together might not be a bad idea for making their fuzz and EQ less of a noise and hum problem, but for someone looking for a noise-gate to begin with, it's a whole binch of stuff that you DON'T NEED and the fuzz and EQ components WILL ADD MORE NOISE.

One of the very best noise-suppressors I ever had was a Boss, their NS-50 "half-rack" unit, I loved it! Unfortunately, they don't make them any more...

Now, I'm wondering; what is it that you want a noise-gate for? Exactly what is it that you want to do?

Do you want a noise-gate for cutting out unwanted hum and noise,

-OR-

do you want a noise-gate for super staccato choppy metal rhythm-guitar effects like "Dimebag" Darrell used?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I want to remove the hum and noise

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

Noise gates do not do that. If you want to remove hum and noise, search for the source of the hum and noise and fix it. Noise gates simply shut down the output signal when you are not playing, and open back up when you start to play (ergo: GATE). That means that the noise and hum are always there in your signal when you are playing. That is terrible.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

this is the way i want, when i stop playing i don't want the hum and noise

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

Ttake the pedals out of line and see if the noise and hum go away...if it does, add the pedals back in one at a time and you'll find out which ones are causing your problem...usually you'll have no noise or hum from chorus, reverb, echo, delay and you'll get your noise from distortion, fuzz, overdrive, pedals that add a lot of gain...you'll also find noise/hum coming from your gain controls on the amp with no pedals in line...the noise gate may or may not help if you're trying to overcome that rushy gain noise that seems to go away once the whole band fires up...find the buzz first...you can always try a noise gate and send it back if it doesn't help...nothing wrong with the Boss version...IMHO
Take care, Larryz

Archived