Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Here comes the man in brown...

davio

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Well. I was playing the WAV tonight and the rattle from the crappy fit of the bracket at the top of the tripod pole finally got to me. I found some leftover craft foam (I'd guess ~1-2mm thick) and took the bracket off, put a strip of foam along the inside of the cavity where the pole goes and put it back on. While tightening the screw back into place, the tiny bit of torque I used somehow made the nut pull the last ~5mm of the tip of the screw clean off. Yay for cheap components!

I'll be making a trip to the hardware store tomorrow to try and replace the screw and nut with something that doesn't suck.

Oh.

A) There seems to be an epidemic of EUB purchases going on at the moment.

B) Why does everyone buy the one EUB that's so obviously flawed?

C) I want the URB tone. That's it. Nothing else. I want that URB tone. Will an EUB give me it?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Davo,

A) Indeed.

B) Unfair statement. For one, out of all those who have bought and own one, a small percentage complains. And they complain about the stand, not the actual EUB.

C) Most likely no, even if only in your head / to your ears.

I am using the WAV more and more during rehearsal. My playing is very flawed and amateuristic, but I could post clips (later this week) for you to judge, if you want ?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

A) There seems to be an epidemic of EUB purchases going on at the moment.

B) Why does everyone buy the one EUB that's so obviously flawed?

C) I want the URB tone. That's it. Nothing else. I want that URB tone. Will an EUB give me it?

Davo

A) Yeah.

B) Like David said, the bass still seems pretty darn good for the money. Mine was a used budget purchase (if I didn't know it was used I would have never guessed it and I payed a fraction of the new price) and I've already gotten my money's worth by my estimation. My only complaints about the bass are that it comes with crappy strings (but everybody changes their strings when they get a new instrument) and the tuners are *meh* at best. Other than that, my only issue with the stand is that the bracket doesn't sit snugly on the pole...I'm working on that now and I'll report back when I'm done.

C) Some EUBs will get you closer to it than others but you will certainly pay for it. The WAV can get some gross approximation in an ensemble setting but if you're really jonesing for pure URB tone, there's no compromise.

Ok. Problem solved. I wrapped plumbers tape around the shaft of the tripod (many layers), fitted the bracket back on over the tape (very snug now), put on my new screw and nut with a drop of blue Loctite and everything's good to go.

I'm taking it to a rehearsal tomorrow and I'll finally get to see how it stands up (no pun intended) in a blues-ish band.

Also, I may or may not have just been visited again by the man in brown. There may or may not be another thread coming soon.

Archived