Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweet and Lowdown

Gruupi

This movie has probably been discussed before but I finally got to see it on Netflix online. Wow, a guitar movie that is actually a good movie. It's a Woodie Allen film starring Sean Penn as "the 2nd greatest guitar player in the world" to Django Reinhardt. Penn's character is really interesting and well acted, and the story is great too. There is plenty of great guitar playing in the gypsy jazz style. I guess this film was sort of under the radar, I had heard of it but hadn't thought it would be this good.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I love that movie! I really enjoyed that one. The bit about the car accident and "The Gypsy" and all was pretty funny and unexpected, too!

While not guitar-centric, you should also check out The Red Violin if you haven't seen it. And if you haven't, DON'T look up anything about it before watching it.

The Legend of 1900 is also pretty good.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd like to see Head in the Clouds, if mainly for the scenes where John Jorgenson plays Django Reinhardt.

Here's an interesting article all about that, penned by none other than John Jorgenson himself...

I really hated Mr. Holland's Opus, it was just negative and depressing. Sorry :) I've seen Shine I think but can't really remember much.

Oh, man, yer gonna make Cole cry!

(I thought it was cool that he named his Son Coletrain, after the greatest lead-guitarist ever to never play the guitar.)

Don't know a thing about Shine, other than the apparent solar-panel that's developed on top of my head...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived