Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mystery Bass....

danoftheriot

Just picked up a p-bass copy on ebay relatively cheap. Just for a bit of fun and some tinkering. Does anybody know anything about this brand? The guy said he has no idea other than it is Japanese from 70's but all my web trawling has come up with nada...

Just want to make sure I'm not hacking into something slightly more valuable than I think it is.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1029605/DSCN0493.JPGhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1029605/DSCN0491.JPG

Status 6 String

Fender Jazz V 24

Fender Jazz Deluxe V (Mex)

Trace Elliot RAH400SMX

Gallien Kreuger MB2

Epifani 210

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we could see the pickups.....

I'd say that the truss rod cover is indicative of the Fugi Gen factory - ie same factory as Ibanez etc, as the Matsumoku copies tended to have the truss rod adjustment at the heel.

It may play quite well if set up properly & the pickups may be quite decent too, but not actually great in value.

Health to enjoy it.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I haven't recieved it yet. Should be picking it up in the next 2 days. Will post a better pic of the headstock then.

Russian copy?? Cool first I've ever heard of Russian basses. It has Made in Japan stamped on the neck plate.

Status 6 String

Fender Jazz V 24

Trace Elliot RAH400SMX

Gallien Kreuger MB2

Epifani 210

Any chance you could remove the G string and get a better shot of the logo?

You totally just asked a dude to take off his G string.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Indeed. This also would have worked if you had said something like, "Could you move your G string to the side a bit?"

If I only had a nickel for every time I've heard that one....

Also, you just said, "insert obscene anatomical part here" to another dude.

You're a total mess, bro.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

There's nothing inherently obscene about any body part.

It's all about context.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

That logo looks familiar. Didn't someone post a similar thread about IDing the same brand a year or two ago?
It was me. See here:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/717770

Never did find out what it was - although in some other forum I saw a post about ASOA guitars.

What did you pay for it btw?

The one I used played ok (it was the 1st bass I played so what do I know) but only the volume pot worked. It's still around I think - our rhythm git had it. (unless it found it's way to eBay)

The pickup was a narrow, chrome covered thing - made the amp hum and buzz if that's any help.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

There's nothing inherently obscene about any body part.

It's all about context.

It doesn't say what kind of anatomy, and that factor could constitute context...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

That logo looks familiar. Didn't someone post a similar thread about IDing the same brand a year or two ago?
It was me. See here:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/717770

Never did find out what it was - although in some other forum I saw a post about ASOA guitars.

What did you pay for it btw?

The one I used played ok (it was the 1st bass I played so what do I know) but only the volume pot worked. It's still around I think - our rhythm git had it. (unless it found it's way to eBay)

The pickup was a narrow, chrome covered thing - made the amp hum and buzz if that's any help.

Yep thats the one.

I paid AUS$250 for it. The pick up is as you described. Haven't run it through a decent amp yet to see if there's much noise. The tone of the wood when I put my ear to the upper horn is actually quite nice. Going to rip everything out and throw in a Pbass pick up and a Humbucker as I described in my other thread and see how she goes.

I had to wrench the truss rod into working. Don't think it's ever been used. Took off the flats it came with and put on some old Bass Boomers I've had sitting around and this thing acoustically has an awesome slap tone. Can't wait to change up the pick ups. The screws holding on the ash trays were stripped so I had to get a pair of plyers onto them to get them out... With a few scars at the end unfortunately but it adds to the character. Will change out the tuners as well because they're pretty old and are pretty hard to turn. While I'm at it I might as well throw a badass or something on it. :)

Overall I reckon this could turn out to be a decent bar gigging bass that I can sit in the corner and not worry too much about it going missing.... But if it does go missing there'll be one less low life in that bar that night. :)

Status 6 String

Fender Jazz V 24

Trace Elliot RAH400SMX

Gallien Kreuger MB2

Epifani 210

I've never quite understood the concept of buying a crummy bass for $250 and then putting $250 more into in parts (bridge, tuners, pickups, pots) so you can end up with a half-decent bass with no resale value.

Why not just replace the neck and body while you are at it? :)

Then you'll end up with a decent bass (with still not much resale value).

I've never quite understood the concept of buying a crummy bass for $250 and then putting $250 more into in parts (bridge, tuners, pickups, pots) so you can end up with a half-decent bass with no resale value.

Unless you're doing it to learn about how to do some of that work yourself.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Unless you're doing it to learn about how to do some of that work yourself.

Peace.

--SW

Precisely.

Who says I want to sell it afterwards?? :)

Status 6 String

Fender Jazz V 24

Trace Elliot RAH400SMX

Gallien Kreuger MB2

Epifani 210

Archived