Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Little Monitors..

Hi All, I've narrowed my search for small portable powered monitors to 3 contenders, KRK V4s JBL LSR 25Ps HHB Circle 3As I plan to audition them tonight. Anyone have any opinions? Any input would be greatly appreciated geo [ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: profesrgeo@earthlink.net ]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few tips to consider: In my experience, a brand new speaker sounds a little "harder" than it will after some use. If you are lucky, you will compare speakers that have been used for at least 10 or 20 hours prior to your test. Then, when you have decided, purchase a brand new set of speakers. (This is not odd in my book, compare it to shopping for a new car.) Some experimenting on placement with each pair of monitors might make a big difference, try to make each pair sound as good as possible before comparing them. Then, compare them at equal SPL's, a basic decibel meter would come in handy. Also if you can have more than one listening session in your own enviroment the decision will feel safer. Listening to CD's is good but perhaps you could do a session including some tracking and mixing with each pair of monitors. What you like instantly is perhaps just a first impression where you don't notice some smaller details and quirks. If you have only one evening to listen, rest your ears every now and then. Listen to the MUSIC. Don't trust any marketing hype, other peoples rants & raves, your eyes or your wallet. Have fun, good luck with your try-out. /Mats [ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: mats.olsson@rockfile.se ]

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Hi All, Thanks for excellent input. Based on Mats suggestions I'm gonna try to get a week with each if they'll let me... I'll eventually want to add a sub to this system. I know the KRKs and HHBs have matching subs and the JBL has the 12p. JBL's web site makes reference to using the 12p with 28Ps and 32Ps but not the 25Ps. Might this be an issue? Thanks again... geo

Mats, Thanks for that insight on new drivers - I had never thought of it, but it makes sense. This might make floor demo speakers an even better value. A former neighbor bought a brand new van, brought it home only to realize it was just a little too tall to fit in his garage. So he and his father (an accomplished carpenter) tore off the trim board around the garage door, went out and bought a narrower trim board and installed it. They then loaded the whole extended family in the van, went out to eat and filled it with gas. By the time they got back, the van had "set down" on its new springs and would have cleared the old door. Dylan - I have found that over the years, JBL is one brand that combines outstanding performance and durability, along with good customer support. Not that the others wouldn't have been fine for the use and the money. I have a pair of nearly 30 yr. old JBL 8" 2115's that I had reconed about six years ago. The guys at the reconing shop kind of salivated when they saw them. People still remark how good they sound in a set of (cheap) Lafayette cabinets I had laying around when I bought the drivers. Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Re: Subs First find out what monitors to buy. Use them for some time and really get to know them in your room. Then, if you find it necessary, shop for a sub that works well with your other gear in your particular room. Placement and adjustments on subs can be tricky, it will take some experimenting before you get it as good as possible. There are many good subs out there, and many not so good. /Mats [ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: mats.olsson@rockfile.se ]

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived