Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting a new synthesizer

Trucoto

Hello, I'm looking for getting a new synth (never had one before), with the idea of having at least one decent piano sound. My budget is rather small, so I'm considering choosing among a Korg X5D or a Roland XP10. Which one would you say it's better for that scenario? Do you think there's another synth around that kind of money that could work for me?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for your reply. I want a nice piano sound, but will use other sounds for sure: pads, strings, bass. I enjoy the piano, I have a real piano at home that I play daily, that's why I think that will be the sound I will use the most. But I also have at home a mute MIDI keyboard, and use to compose things with the computer. I find myself using classical instruments the most (strings) and sounds like sine pulses and the like. I want to play in a band now, and carrying the computer with the keyboard (let alone the piano) is kind of a mess, so I would like a synth I could take with me with good sounds, but I don't have much money to spend. I don't want a piano-only stuff, I know I'll use some other stuff. What would be a good entry-level synth?

Thank you both, I'm planning to buying used. The budget I guess will be meaningless to you: I live in Argentina, where a used X5D or XP10 is around 600usd. Keyboards around the value of those keyboards where you live I suppose will be in that order of magnitude here as well.

The mute keyboard is reaaaally cheap, id est, unusable :P I would like something more "playable". The Roland Juno D is almost twice the price of the other two keyboards; same for the MM6.

Don't have experience with the x5d, but the XP10 has a good generic set of sounds - it covers all the basics. It's basically got Roland's GS sound set (expanded GM). You can do basic splits and layers and it's pretty easy to use. I gigged out wiyh it's predecessor - the JV30 - for a long time with decent results. I'd say it would suit your needs.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The market is smaller here. Couldn't found a used MM6 or Juno D, but a new one of either one is around 1000usd. I suppose they are rather new models here to find them used. Would you say those are better than my first choice? How do they compare with the Korg XP50, far easier to get here?

Archived