Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar for Daughter - what age?

J. Dan

I know there's been a lot of discussion about when to start lessons for a child, but my question's a little different.

I have a 4-1/2 yr old Daughter. She's been very exposed to music since Daddy plays every weekend and plays keys, guitar, bass, and sax. She loves music and has an "imaginary" band called the balance beam band. I did buy a real piano and have started teaching her very basic stuff whenever she is interested - I don't push anything.

She is almost obsessed with guitar though. When I have mine out she wants to strum it, when the catalogs come in the mail, she picks them up and goes right to the guitars (usually looking for the "Hello Kitty" guitar).

So I guess my question is, would it be worth it to get her a smaller scale guitar like a mini srat or something, or just keep her on piano and occassionally messing with my guitar until she's big enough to play a full-scale guitar (and read, and take lessons, etc).

I didn't learn guitar until I was a teenager, but started taking piano lessons as soon as I could read. So I wanted to get some feedback from tose of you who started early and/or have started your kids early.

Thanks

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my daughter a little guitar at age five.

not to teach or learn but to get her used to holding

a guitar and be familar with it. plus she would quit

beating up on my guitars. she was real curious just like your girl.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

An inexpensive kids strat with some hello kitty type stickers on it would be cool...don't forget the amp that goes with it...my little nephew had one and lost interest after a year or so, but who knows he may make a comeback someday...
Take care, Larryz

don't forget the amp that goes with it

yeah, I was kind of thinking maybe along the lines of the battery powered Line 6 or Roland Micro cube. Not cheap, but if I get her something, I don't want it to be a toy.

I have time - I'm thinking ahead for Christmas or her birthday (March).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

then when my daughter was 7 I bought her one of those

mini strats. those little things are awesome. Jerrica

is now 14 freshman in high school. she plays alto and

baritone sax, piano, and guitar. writes her own music

mostly on piano. right now she pretty sure she wants

to be a music teacher. I think the best thing you can

do is buy instuments for your kids. I just gave my 2yr

old 1 of my old harmonicas. she figured out how to make

sound in about 5 minutes. that might have been a mistake

on my part. by the way I just got the Roland mobile cube.

fantastic, and my buddy got the line 6 micro spider. also

fantastic. the micro spider uses 6-D batteries and the roland

uses 6-AA's. the spiders batteries last a least twice as long

as the mobile cube.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

the spiders batteries last a least twice as long

as the mobile cube.

That's good to know - thanks!

Dan

My daughter begged me to teach her guitar at age 11...so I bought her an acoustic.

She picked it up very quickly and 6 months later...stopped abruptly to begin chear leading. haha :(

I was bummed...but, what the heck.

But...after she got into college we were having a big party at our lake house and many of her friends were there.

So one of the guys wanted to play my Les Paul I had at the time so she brought it out to him AND....my acoustic guitar...where she began to play like hell!!!

I'm like...what the heck is going on here? :rawk::)

So what I did...was plant the seed and she took it from there without letting me know.

Hey...I can't figure out daughters or women.

Not sure if anyone can but...who cares, right? :D

Bottom line...do what YOU feel is right.

You know your daughter best. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

It never hurts to strat, I mean start early.

One thing to consider: while any sort of beginner guitar at her age is best chosen from a smaller scale version*, you should make sure that it is still well made.

If it's hard to play, that's a turn-off.

If it's not accurate in terms of intonation, it could have bad effects on her developing ear.

d=halfnote

don't forget the amp that goes with it

yeah, I was kind of thinking maybe along the lines of the battery powered Line 6 or Roland Micro cube. Not cheap, but if I get her something, I don't want it to be a toy.

I have time - I'm thinking ahead for Christmas or her birthday (March).

You might consider buying yourself a little practice amp (which of course will be available for the young'en to use) and if someone gets a little guitar at christmas (which you have checked out to make sure it's easy to play) then she'll have something to plug in to...if she keeps at it she'll be getting a bigger amp in the future along with a full size guitar and you will still have a practice amp that you like and a momento to hang in a wall frame (ie. her 1st guitar)....just thinking outloud....

Take care, Larryz

The first clue is that she already has an expectation. You may recall Eddie Murphys routine about wanting a McDonalds hamburger, and his mom dragging him into the kitchen and building a serious burger from scratch.... and he's crying he doesn't want that, he wants McDonalds. She wants a Hello Kitty guitar, get her one.

I bought my nephew a cheap electric outfit with amp when he was very young, and he never played it. A year later I bought him a much nicer electric guitar, and he did play it a lot until he got interested in sports. (somehow I had time for both, and girls, too...)

My first thought was something like a Baby Taylor. If she punks out, you can get some use from it. Or one of those Martin backpackers. Both are acoustic.

But really, kids grow quickly and those fingers will very soon be able to handle a short scale instrument. If you buy something crappy, it will be hard to play and useless. So if you are trying to save money, don't be pound-foolish.

Battery powered amps? Would not be my choice. But I try to say away from batteries in general. Too many places that we HAVE to use them.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Battery powered amps? Would not be my choice. But I try to say away from batteries in general. Too many places that we HAVE to use them.

Yeah, I'd rather not... but the other thing I have to consider is my 9-mo old son. He's cruising and will soon be walking. We're covering all the outlets with those protector things. I can plug an amp in for her in a safe place and make sure the cord is out of the way when he's out, but I'd feel better if I could avoid the power cord. I'm even a little nervous about her plugging it in at 4-1/2... accidents happen. Maybe I'm overprotective, but that's my justification. I want her to be able to play it when she wants, without supervision. Of course an acoustic would solve that, but I don't think she would like it as much.

Dan

Archived