Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

August BP, 9 Questions with Skeet Curtis

johngoldsby

Here we go! A new 9 Questions, this time with Rodney "Skeet" Curtis. You probably know Skeet from his work with Parliment Funkadelic, Maceo Parker, Dennis Chambers, and many others. Check him out in the September issue of BP.

BP * What is your idea of a perfect gig?

Skeet Curtis: One the starts on time, ends on time and everybody leaves feeling that theyve gotten their moneys worth.

BP * What is your most treasured possession?

Skeet Curtis: I have a Fernandes Jazz bass knockoff that I bought in Japan in 1980it brings back memories of the Atomic Dog Tour in 1983.

BP * If you were to die and come back as any musician, who would it be?

Skeet Curtis: James Jamerson . . . my greatest influence.

BP * What is your third all-time favorite record and why?

Skeet Curtis: Number three would be Darling Dear by the Jackson 5 which is a tremendous display of bass playing by James Jamerson. Two is Aint Nothin' Like the Real Thing by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, and my number one favorite is Hair by Graham Central Station

BP * What is your dream scenario?

Skeet Curtis: I show up at a gig . . . the equipment is exactly what I asked forI can hear everything clearly and the stage volume is such that I dont need to wear ear plugs

BP * What annoys you about the music business?

Skeet Curtis: Music is becoming less and less emphasized in the music business.

BP * Who are your musical heroes?

Skeet Curtis: Dennis Chambers, Maceo Parker, Will Boulware, Prince, and George Clinton, and specific to bassJames Jamerson, Rocco Prestia, Jaco, Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten.

BP * What was your most recent big mistake?

Skeet Curtis: I accepted a gig based on what I was told the parameters would be. They werent and I ended up being under-prepared.

BP * What is your goal for the coming year?

Skeet Curtis: I want to continue doing what Im doing, which is traveling the world playing funky music.

As always, feel free to comment on Skeet's answers. Give us your own answers. Ask a new question. Let me know what new questions I should be asking our bass friends out there.

www.goldsby.de

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved his work on some of my fave PFunk records!

Hmmm, Curtis doesn't mention Bootsy Collins in his litany of heroes.

Is there still lingering animosity in the PFunk camp over Bootsy's being hoisted to solo star status over some of the others ?

Not to inject reality into an imaginary exercise but I can't help pointing out his choice to return as any musician focuses on one who's already long deceased. :D

Of course when we're talking about someone who's a physical behemoth but's nicknamed "Skeeter" (as in mosquito), well, as PFunk fans know "fantasy is reality in the world today "!

Oh yeah, check this Skeet vid out:

Thanks for the info!!

(I can never find BPlayer in local stores).

d=halfnote

Bootsy was already Bootsy when I joined the band .... I don't know what went on before that

Loved his work on some of my fave PFunk records!

Is there still lingering animosity in the PFunk camp over Bootsy's being hoisted to solo star status over some of the others

Archived