Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Privia PX-320/330

JohnDoe

Questions to Mike Martin:

Today I tried a PX-320 and I sure liked it a lot. One thing put me off though:

The e-piano tone that is very close to a Wurlitzer was sampled with tremelo. Is it possible to edit(cut out)the tremelo?

Can you edit the tones in any way, other than adding effects and eq?

Does the PX-330 have the same Wurlitzer tremelo sample?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can not edit sounds on either the PX-320 or PX-330. I believe the tremolo is present in the PX-330's wurly sound.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on your new gig with Casio Mike!

FWIW, I played the new PX-330 today at GC and was generally pleased with both the key bed action and the overall ac. grand piano sound. Casio is definitely improving with each subsequent model they release in the Privia line it seems. Kudos to them!

What is holding me back from getting this ultra light 88 key wonder board for use as a controller is the lack of a Mod wheel Mike. Gotta have it, especially since there is no DSP On/Off button etc. to control a simulated leslie effect for Organ sounds. I didn't find any such function when perusing through the menu functions either. Quite possibly I missed it perhaps though.

What Casio might consider doing if they want to continue to keep the sleek outer frame on the Privia line is to provide an all-in-one Mod/Bend "stick" like you find on Roland or Korg, etc. A single Mod/Bend stick would certainly take up less space than two separate wheels and the people who are perhaps hesitant on getting a PX-330 would most likely consider getting a Privia again if the new model(s) had both Pitch Bend and Modulation functions incorporated into them.

I know with all your expertise that you should have little trouble convincing Casio of the dire need of getting this implemented in future Privia models Mike. We're counting on you Bro. And I, for one, am really looking forward to when this will become an actuality in future Privia model(s).

Mike

Mike

I know with all your expertise that you should have little trouble convincing Casio of the dire need of getting this implemented in future Privia models Mike. We're counting on you Bro.

"Dire need"? Really? I don't mean this as a knock, but I don't think the majority of people buying Privias think as you do.

The mod wheel is not a "dire need" item however to partially concede the point, I would like to see a fast/slow control for a leslie effect on the organ patches... something that a mod wheel is often used for.

The PX-330 sounds like a relatively minor upgrade to the 320 with improvements to the ac. piano sounds and the obvious pitch wheel. Improvements to the 320's el.piano and organ sounds would be a major boost to this fine instrument but that doesn't sound like what the 330 is about... perhaps a forthcoming model will address those things.

The PX-330 is likely the best instrument in it's class currently... some of us are anxious to see Casio go even further.

On the mod wheel or stick, the thing when considering a board as a controller is that u want the option of it...for people who never use it, fine u dont need it, but for freelance players who do a variety of gigs..say in a week you do a jazz gig, a blues gig, a wedding and a rock gig, and want to utilize 1 controller w/1 or 2 modules, you can use it...

On The Pro's above post, are there improvements to the acc piano sound? I was able to try a 320 awhile back, Id like to try the 330..

The acoustic piano has been completely redone from what I've read. Based on the demos it's significantly better, but personally I haven't played the 330 yet. Nearest GC is two hours away form me but plan to make the trip within the next few weeks.

As for the lack of a mod wheel, these things are kind of like the Yamaha P series. They're built for people who want to just plop them down, turn them on, and play pianos on them. I'm surprised that they even put a pitch wheel on it.

I tried the PX-330 at our local Sam Ash a few days ago, and thought the action was really good, in fact so much so that I reckon the PX-130 would make a very good and affordable controller.

I only played it over the internal speakers, and although the piano sound is much fuller than the previous generation, it still does not sound tight enough. But I'll go back and check with headphones soon.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I spent some time last week with a PX130 (the only Privia model in the store.) I liked it, and am considering it for its AP and EP sounds, as well as midi controller, but was a bit disappointed in the design, in that you need both hands to change sounds. Anyone know if the 330 has a similar design?
"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

I tried the PX-330 at our local Sam Ash a few days ago, and thought the action was really good, in fact so much so that I reckon the PX-130 would make a very good and affordable controller.

It should be noted that the PX-130 doesn't have MIDI. :crazy: The PX-120 had it. Why was it removed? :confused:

I spent some time last week with a PX130 (the only Privia model in the store.) I liked it, and am considering it for its AP and EP sounds, as well as midi controller, but was a bit disappointed in the design, in that you need both hands to change sounds. Anyone know if the 330 has a similar design?

The PX-330 has dedicated buttons for sounds, also has both MIDI I/O and USB MIDI.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Just got back from a quick stop at GC to try the PX-330. There was a PX-320 above it so I was able to A/B them. The white keys on the 330 seemed to me to be a little lighter than they are on the 320. Strangely, the black keys on the 330 felt a little heavier than they do on the 320. As such, there was a slight disparity between the black and white key weights on the 330. The piano sounds on the 330 were noticeably better to me than on the 320. The Rhodes sound seemed the same. That was all I had time for.

Can anyone compare the PX330 with the Yamaha P155.

My understanding is that the PX330 is the equivalent for Yamaha P155. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Mike , if you can answer this question that would be great.

Also on a side note Yamaha P155's come with 3 yr parts and labor warranty.

I am leaning towards getting the Casion PX330 as it is cheaper but still debating if spending 500 more is worth it for the Yamaha P155.

I have been waiting for the implementation of pitch wheel as they recently did to their CPD 200

have previously on this site talked about what the privia could become/needs,at this stage the px 330 is great with the addition of a pitch wheel without increasing size and is next on my shopping list to look at..

yes add all the other goodies in future revisions [and I have previously posted a good sized list] but please do not change the weight or the dimensions...this is what makes the privias the wonders they are...a truley portable 88 note piano keyboard

Can anyone compare the PX330 with the Yamaha P155.

My understanding is that the PX330 is the equivalent for Yamaha P155. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Mike , if you can answer this question that would be great.

Also on a side note Yamaha P155's come with 3 yr parts and labor warranty.

I am leaning towards getting the Casio PX330 as it is cheaper but still debating if spending 500 more is worth it for the Yamaha P155.

There are some similarities between the PX-330 and P155, but there are several differences too.

They both have 128 notes of polyphony and both have 4 layer stereo piano samples and both have optional matching stands.

The PX-330 however has an LCD display, USB MIDI, 233 more sounds, the ability to store splits and layers (registrations), a pitch bend wheel and more.

Pianos are a very subjective thing, so I suggest that you try both instruments and then decide which one will fit your needs and your budget.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

Become a fan of Casio on Facebook

-Mike Martin

Casio

So guys, not much going on w/this thread since this thing came out..

Has anyone tried it enough to compare it to the usual crop of DP's out there?

Piano sound? Rhodes sound? Action? As Les McCann once said...Compared to What?

Do you like it? Would u buy it instead of a (fill in blank)...................

I saw that D....What I want to know..is it on par with say, an FP4 as far as piano sounds? Would u buy it instead of a ......?

If u could compare it to a dp on the market...which one?

Interesting about your disparity remark...people dont generally say things like that...

I have an M50-88, think Im getting used to the action..a little anyway...but I use my ole FP3 w/Rec for my jazz gigs and dont plan on using the 50 for jazz, and sorry to say, I think my FP3 is getting a bit long in the tooth...the action, which has been great, is turning to mush...Ive had a few fellow P players play it, and they even seem to agree on that...Id really be sorry to see that 1 go...so I may be looking for a simple nice action, light board to replace it....its gotta have a good rhodes too thou...Im also wondering, at that price..will it stand up to being used a lot, or will it turn to mush after a year??

I have the PX-320 and I LOVE IT!!!

It's so convenient to have around when

all you need at the moment is a great piano sound.

The feel is nice (to these fingers, at least) and

it's incredibly light!

Hey Mike. Please feel free to put up that demo I did with

The Lucas Group using the PX-320 so the guys here on the

board can hear what it sounds like in a jazz trio setting.

FL

www.p10studios.com

It's been so long, you're welcome back my friends......to the show that never ends!!!

I saw that D....What I want to know..is it on par with say, an FP4 as far as piano sounds?

IMO, no.

Based on what you've said (you like your Roland DP, you play jazz, you want a good Rhodes sound), I think it makes more sense for you to be looking at the FP-4 or RD-300GX instead of a Privia.

What I want to know..is it on par with say, an FP4 as far as piano sounds? Would u buy it instead of a ......?

If u could compare it to a dp on the market...which one?

...its gotta have a good rhodes too thou...Im also wondering, at that price..will it stand up to being used a lot, or will it turn to mush after a year??

Here's some answers to questions about the PX-320 and I'm assuming they also apply to the PX-330 as well:

Value: IMHO the PX-320 is the best value of ANY DP in it's price range. For quality of acoustic piano sounds, range and number of overall sounds, features and build quality I believe nothing else compares. Does it beat pianos costing twice as much or more in tone quality? No. What piano does? Be reasonable... the PX-320/330 is good enough for professional use and it's worth every penny it costs.

Build quality: The Casio Privias have proven to be tough gig-worthy instruments with solid build quality. I play hard and I like stiff keyboard action - the Privia has never failed me and I expect my hands to wear out before my 320's keyboard does. Just because it's light and inexpensive does not mean it can't take pro usage.

Rhodes/EP quality: IMHO the PX-320 has a miserable electric piano sound. See? You thought I was just going to sugar-coat this didn't you? It's true... while you may find the EP sounds useable they have no high end, no clarity, and no character at all. The organ sucks on the 320 too. This is why the PX-320 does not compare to a Roland FP4, but it's not meant to... most people want the acoustic piano to be amazing first and foremost and that's where the money went on the 320/330. If Casio ever puts a serious Rhodes and a good tonewheel clone in an economical package with the 320/330 piano sounds then it'll be a game changer, but it won't cost what the PX-320/330 does.

Real world application: The 320/330 is the lightest and best jam piano ever made for the money. You can carry it on a bus to a gig. It's great for apartments, students, practice, anything you want to do on the fly or on the cheap. I use my PX-320 with my church worship team in a two-tier setup with a Yamaha Motif XS6 which gives me a light rig with nearly any sound combination I would ever need. One of the the most frequently asked questions on every keyboard forum is what piano to get for under $1000 - the PX-320/330 is the answer.

And finally, here's a repost of a demo I did with the PX-320. This is a SMF/GM sequence I created of the song "Soulful Strut" which is being played in real time using the PX-320 sequencer with live playing on the piano over it. Enjoy.

D, I use the FP3 as a controller for Rec/Ivory..but I do like the Rhodes, run it flat, eq it a bit...I dont like the rhodes in the fp4, the action is light, or feels as it hasnt the dip the 3 has..

Pro, why would a decent rhodes patch make it more expensive? What does it really take to put a little better ep on it..Im not saying put killer b3's, symphonic strgs, etc...but if your doing jazz or dare I say jazzy gigs, u need the rhodes as much as u need a good piano...or almost as much...

And speaking of expense...what does the board, the 330..cost?

Glad to hear thou that it stands up to being used..my M50-88 is so thin feeling, the metal on it, that Im afraid to bump it..so to hear that the C is road worthy is a good thing..

Thx guys for the feedback..I gonna try it...

I'm going to try and track one down around town today to see what the buzz is about.

This P120 has served me well for many years but it is definitely time to go. I have to get a lightweight alternative to this CP300. I used it last night, was tired after 3 sets of extended blowing and just about killed myself getting the thing into my Volvo wagon. I'm in excellent shape at 56 but when you're tired like last night, that 72 lbs. felt like 720 lbs.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

In the area of $550-575 from what I've picked up in a couple of online conversations. This may not be apparent with a simple Google search, which would yield mostly the price venues can legally advertise - MAP - and not the actual price if you do some serious talking.

Pro, why would a decent rhodes patch make it more expensive? What does it really take to put a little better ep on it..Im not saying put killer b3's, symphonic strgs, etc...but if your doing jazz or dare I say jazzy gigs, u need the rhodes as much as u need a good piano...or almost as much...

Hate to say it but, it's not about you or me or what we need.

The real question is - how much does a competitive keyboard with excellent acoustic piano, ep's and organ cost currently? Probably about the mid-$1000's and up in my estimate - about half what the PX-320/330 lists for. If Casio made a keyboard that was directly competitive with other keyboards that had better quality EP and organ sounds as well as acoustic pianos then it would logically be priced the same as them.

Right now the Casio PX-320/330 is directly competitive with the Yamaha P-80, which also has a fair acoustic piano and poor EP's and organs. The PX's are a better value compared to their direct competition and they are priced accordingly.

It's not a matter of how much more it would cost for a manufacturer to add features to a particular product, it's the way the market for that product is structured.

Ahhh, I understand grasshopper....And hey D, yes I google...unfortunatly google has turned into a mere shadow of itself preferring to show ads rather than useful information....

I also tried googling my neighbor, but she punched me in the eye!!

Archived