Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just getting started

airtight

Hi everyone, I'm 36 & just getting started on the bass. I've never played a instrument before and I'm taking lessons right now, but I'm in the process of learning how to read music so things are pretty simple & boring right now. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to accelerate my learning & playing ability. If you can reccomend any websites, exercises, books, youtube videos, or whatever I will really appreaciate it. I will also be looking to purchase another bass in the near future, "I currently have a Jay Turser that I'm not to happy with" so please give me info on what you're playing and what you reccomend <$500. I have pretty big hands and long fingers so I know that plays a factor in things. Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum(s).

The terms "simple & boring" don't always have to go together. Try to play along by ear with the albums/artists/songs that made you pick up the bass in the first place. That to me, would never be boring.

Knowing my history with basses, I'm probably the last one you should get advice from :D

AT - Welcome to the forum.

Recommendation #1 - Stick with the lessons. Yeah, it may seem boring, but learning good technique now will save you so much trouble down the road.

Recommendation #2 - Try to find some people in your area that might be interested in forming a jam band. Yeah, you might not be "road ready" yet, but you will be surprised how fast you pick up stuff by playing with other musicians.

Solution #1 - You could pick up a couple Ed Friedland's books on building bass lines. They assume that you have a little knowledge of how to read music and understand some scale theory (but not much), but you could get one in for the style of music (blues, jazz, rock) that you are interested in and play that concurrently with lessons.

Solution #2 - Jay Turser's are great ... for firewood. You can get a really decent Squire (they are much better now than they used to be) or and Ibanez for less than 500. Yamaha also puts out a good product. You can check out the on line super stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Musician's Friend, American Musical Supply) - they always have insane on-line sales. E-Bay and Craig's list are also ways to find used gear that may be in good conditions.

Stay with it.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Airtight--First, congratulations on learning the greatest instrument ever. I too started playing bass five years ago as a 45-year-old with no instrumental experience. I'm now in a band. In addition to learning to read music as you are doing, my suggestion is to start listening to and learning to play along with as many songs as you can. You will learn tons about bass simply by listening and trying to emulate what you hear. You didn't mention what kind of music you are into, but there are great bassists and great bass lines in every genre. Listen to what you love and pick it out on your bass.

As for a new bass--read Bass Player Magazine and pay attention to the reviews. You'll soon learn about decent basses in your price range. I bought a Fender American Standard Jazz bass after a review in the magazine, and I love it.

One final thought--no matter at what level you think you are playing now, find other people to play with. Nothing accelerates your learning like playing with other people. Have fun!

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Welcome, airtight (and rwellsinbc)

Hi everyone, I'm 36 & just getting started on the bass. I've never played a instrument before and I'm taking lessons right now, but I'm in the process of learning how to read music so things are pretty simple & boring right now. ...

You know the saying 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'? A month of lessons can be worth a year of trial and error. I started playing about 10 years ago, and the level I am now I could have been at a lot quicker if I took lessons. Lessons are important to establish a firm foundational understanding of music and your role as a bass player. They seem boring and slow, but when you start playing more songs, the lessons help tie everything together. That becomes real important as you play with other people and adding your own flavor to a song.

... I'm looking for any suggestions on how to accelerate my learning & playing ability. If you can reccomend any websites, exercises, books, youtube videos, or whatever I will really appreaciate it. ...

For starters, there is no 'learn to play like a pro overnight' secret. The rate you progress depends on your natural ability and the time you put into it. Many people fail to realize that it takes work to be good and give up when they can't play like [insert bass icon here] in two weeks. There are tons of books and videos that can help, but it can be information overload too. Youboob has some good videos from actual instructors, but for every good one there are 30 that are a joke. Like others mentioned, play with others- experience is one of a musicians best teachers. Playing with others will really inspire you to push yourself to get better.

.... I will also be looking to purchase another bass in the near future, "I currently have a Jay Turser that I'm not to happy with" so please give me info on what you're playing and what you reccomend <$500. I have pretty big hands and long fingers so I know that plays a factor in things. Thanks

Gear is the source of many a good debate around this place. Trying to learn on gear that sucks makes the learning process that much harder. Flank made a lot of good suggestions. What I would recommend is going to your local music store(s) and playing a half dozen different basses in your price range to find one that fits and feels good to you. Don't shy away from used gear, either. I have a Fender P bass that I bought used and I love it- it's in great condition, case included and it cost half of the price of a new one. You didn't mention an amp- having an amp that sounds like a drive-thru speaker is another ambition killer. The 'starter pack' 15 watt 8 inch speaker jobs just don't cut it. I'd go with something around 100W to start- especially when you play with others who are loud. It seems like a lot, but a couple guitars and a loud drummer can bury a bass amp if it's much less than 100W. Again, e-bay and Craigslist can land some great deals.

Good luck, stick with it :rawk:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Thanks for the warm welcome! Don't worry, I'm not getting discouraged at all, I am determined to get this down! I also understand that it's going to take time. It's just so many different ways to learn, "I know different things work for different people."

I stopped at the music store this afternoon and found a Ibanez & a Fender that I really like. They played very smooth, "a lot better than my Jay Turser!" I'll keep you posted on my progress & will be around different topics in the forums. If there's anything out there that helped the light go on for your playing please let me know! Thanks again!

I started to learn by playing to AC/DC songs. I think the first one I learned was "who made who". I started when I was 31. I was in a band after 7 months. First gig was less than a month after I joined. I had been taking lessons for a while, then I couldn't afford them, I wish I still took some.

Welcome to the forum gentlemen!

How do you sign a computer screen?

The danger of being self taught is the bad habits you have to unlearn in the future. There has been a lot of good advice given here already. These guys won't stear you wrong. Welcome and have a whole lot of fun :thu:
Can't control the ocean but we can learn to ride the waves.

Welcome!

The danger of being self taught is the bad habits you have to unlearn in the future.

+1 on the lessons, what you learn there should allow you to more easily learn by ear. You are learning another language, you can get by with a little, but it's more pleasant when you become fluent.

Sight-reading scales may seem boring, but after a while, you only need to glance at the sheet music to read it, not counting lies and spaces, to find the notes, which is where I'm still at with certain tunes.

Knowing the theory providess you with a "Eureka" moment when you realize that there is a relationship between what you figured out by ear and what note should be there.

+1 on BP magazine! It has sheet music and tabs, along with exercises, well worth buying, even better to subscribe to.

+1 on Ed Friedland's books, most come with CD, too.

Make it part of your practice to try to learn a song you particularly like, the one you can't get out of your head, and it can be any style. You don't have to be Berklee trained to try to figure out jazz or Jamerson from day 1; if the song appeals to you, give it a shot. It gives you something pleasant to focus on mastering.

Find someone, hopefully better then you, and reasonably patient, to play with. Even if it's simple stuff, it will improve your ability to keep time, and build a rhythm. My first group was playing in a duo that had gigs lined up; having to learn songs

gave me a focus to my practice time.

A better, more expensive bass won't necessarily make you a better player, but I undersand wanting another bass. Give the Squiers a look and a listen, the quality and sound is really fantastic, especially in the "Classic Vibe line. The Squier J-Bass is very nice, if I wasn't hankering for a P Bass, I'd probably buy it.

My MIM Fender Jazz Standard is great and less than $500. My G & L tribute is incredible, and less than $600. Support your local music store, (unless it's staffed by jerks), usually they have a lot of good tips for learning, and can help you find some guys to play with.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I understand that a better bass wont be all that it takes to turn me into a better player, but my Jay Turser SUCKS!!! I'm forced to stick with it for the time being, but I'm doing my research and trying to narrow in on what bass I want & how much it's going to cost me. The crew at the Guitar Center in my area is okay, but I stopped at a music store Friday and was blown away with their staff. I was in a bit of a rush so I wasn't able to stay as long as I wanted to. I'm also open to buying used. Thanks again for all of the advice!

Welcome to the forums and to learning a great instrument...

keep an eye out on craigslist for used basses, there are some killer deals to be found out there.

It is also a good place to find people to play with.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

It's great you are taking lessons, keep up with that and practice as you are told and put the time in but in addition to that have some fun and play around with the instrument to see what you can come up with.

As far as your next bass, save a few bucks for decent strings (the one's you get with a budget instrument are often junk and have someone give it a proper setup. As a matter of fact that's what you should do with your current slab of wood first before investing in something else, provided that the neck isn't beyond hope.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Welcome, I'd like to interject a little differnt thought. Many people take up the bass because they think it will be simple. Only 4 strings and you don't normally play chords, just one string at a time. How hard can it be???? It is easy to play the bass fairly well, it is very difficult to play it really well. It is all about massaging the music. You control it, you can make it do what you want, you are the feeling, the groove. It is wonderful. Keep taking lessons and practive 10 - 12 hours a day.

Again, Welcome to the Forum.

Rocky (The old guy)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Lots of good advice has been given already. There isn't much to add except keep with the lessons and find some guys to jam with especially a drummer. When possible practice with a metronome. With playing a bass timing is everything. You impress with chops, you get work with timing. Also try a few different musical styles. It all helps.

I have a Jay Turser I occasionally mess with and it's not THAT bad. It's a pretty easy bass to play. Yes there are better models. As others have said Squires are pretty decent as are Peaveys, Yamahas and Ibanezes. With your hands a bass like a P-bass or a bass with a little wider string spacing might be more to your liking. Of course you will just have to try some basses out to see what you like.

Good luck and stick around!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Congrats on having a great attitude.

I'm one of those who did not take lessons and has the bad habits to show for it.

Forgive this oversimplification, but I've come to think that there are a few types of "bass buyers" out there. One has lots of money (not commonly found, but it doesn't matter how they decide about instruments). Most of the rest of us fall into 2 groups. Either you like buying on impulse and selling/swapping for the fun and adventure, or you like to be sure about your basses. I fall into that latter category. My advice is to play as many instruments as possible - don't worry about price - and learn what features you like. When you find something you are considering, come back to the store again on a different day and see if it still feels as good. Take your time.

I am glad you found a helpful shop - that can be a great advantage. Start by bringing your current bass in and tell them what doesn't feel right. As Jeremy said, it may just need some adjustments (wood can move over time - it's normal). You may find that you don't "need" another bass. And have them teach you how to set up (adjust) your instrument, so you can take care of yourself!

Welcome!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Had a great day at practice Weds. night and really haven't put my bass down since. My wife isn't to happy about that! I had a cousin pass away so i've been trying to put my own twist to Amazing Grace, "nothing like Victor Wooten's rendition!"

I feel like I made some pretty decent strides in the last week or so and I feel as though the encouraging words on here, "along with a lot of practice time has a lot to do with it!"

I know I don't NEED another bass, but i sure as heck WANT on! I've done a lot of looking around on Craigslist but as of right now I'm leaning towards either the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass or an Ibanez ATK 300. There's a few more I want to check out so I'll definitely be patient and make sure that I'm happy with my decision before I purchase.

Thanks again for all the advice and please keep it coming!

AT - A couple of us own the fretless version of the Squier, me included. You have to make sure they are set up just right or they can get a little buzzy, especially around the fourth fret.

Sounds like you're getting close ... I know I had a moment when everything just kind of snapped into place. Like someone turning a light on and seeing exactly how all those disparite pieces you've learned fit together. Warning - after that, it's too late. You're hooked.

... and you'll want another cab, and another bass, and maybe so effects, and another cab ...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Had a great day at practice Weds. night and really haven't put my bass down since. My wife isn't to happy about that! I had a cousin pass away so i've been trying to put my own twist to Amazing Grace, "nothing like Victor Wooten's rendition!"

I feel like I made some pretty decent strides in the last week or so and I feel as though the encouraging words on here, "along with a lot of practice time has a lot to do with it!"

I know I don't NEED another bass, but i sure as heck WANT on! I've done a lot of looking around on Craigslist but as of right now I'm leaning towards either the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass or an Ibanez ATK 300. There's a few more I want to check out so I'll definitely be patient and make sure that I'm happy with my decision before I purchase.

Thanks again for all the advice and please keep it coming!

Alright! I can't really set my guitar down until I've done some part from Eruption or something really fun :D

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

Yeah, that part from Eruption must really be fun because I hear guitarists put in any song in which they are playing a solo.

Learn the introduction the Hair by Graham Central Station. That's really fun, too, and maybe you can sneak it into a metal band.

(Flea sort of did that).

[video:youtube]

The actual intro that I want you to learn starts about 33 seconds in.

Notice that he also sings lead while playing this part and looks extremely slick in his suit and tie. Get those parts down, too. :)

Archived