Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any other 8 string guitarists out there?

GreySeraph

"Necrophagist"! :D New one on me as a band, but I recognize that the word would mean, in it's simplest, most direct definition, "dead eater", primarily implying "eating dead things", as in a carrion eater like a vulture or a "ghoul"...

This forum is full of little surprises that can brighten your day. ;)

(Hahhahhaahh! As I was typing "ghoul", Bo Diddley's "You Can't Judge A Book (By Lookin' At The Cover)" began playing on the TV in the other room... !! :D:thu: )

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yay for bo!!! That bastard's wayyy too good :)

Btw Caevan, I'm guessing you dont listen to metal at all?

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Btw Caevan, I'm guessing you dont listen to metal at all?

I don't try too hard to actively keep up with whatever the newest metal bands are, although if something catches my ear I'll look into it.

I started out getting into hard rock and metal stuff like Deep Purple, Rush, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, U.F.O., Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Motorhead when I was a kid (to the absolute horror of my rather religious parents, LOL!), and sort of branched out into classic rock, blues, jazz, "classical", punk/original "alternative", eclectic etc. etc. etc. The crappy cheesy bands that started to be called "metal" when I was a kid just p!$$3d me off and pushed me into looking and listening elsewhere- stuff like Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Warrant, Slaughter, etc. etc. etc. :mad::sick::rolleyes:

If I listened to nothing but metal stuff all the time, much of it would all start to sound the same to me after a while. Kinda rotating around a bit makes it sound fresher and more interesting to me when I do listen to it; and I generally prefer more unusual brands of hard rock/metal to the more commonplace- Voivod, Tool, and The Mars Volta, for example, over Metalica and their many clones. I'm sure there's loads of stuff I might like that I haven't heard yet, but that could be said of any genre.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally decided to go and purchase a Brahms guitar. I'm in the process of figuring out which luthier I'm gonna commission to make the guitar, but I'm probably gonna settle with Martin Woodhouse, an apprentice of the late David Rubio, who built the first Brahms guitar for Paul Galbraith.

check it out: http://www.woodhouse-guitars.co.uk/

The guy has some beautiful 8 string guitars. I'm gonna get mine with that endspike like Paul Galbraith, as well as the fan frets. Pray it works out and I get a winner :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Wow, what classy, cool looking guitars!

What with its fanned-fret, nut, and bridge arrangement, its appearance boarders on a Picasso cubist interpretation...

Please fill me in on this "endspike" endspeak; got pics?

Paul Galbraith uses an endspike (also called an endpin) that comes from the base of the guitar to help with the position he holds the guitar.

the endspike connects like this: http://erez-perelman.com/guitar/brahms.html

you can see how it straps the strings to it past the saddle and w/e.

Here's Galbraith playing again if you didnt see it:

I love him.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Aaaaahh... I see, upright! Gotcha. Like a cello or upright-bass.

That added string-length between the bridge and the end-pin/tail-piece there probably adds a little more harmonic overtone content and some sympathetic ring, I'd imagine. Particularly on the lowest notes.

I'll check out that Paul Galbraith vid later, thanks! :cool:

Haha. You know what? I'm not sure about how that helps and w/e. I should ask the luthiers on their take.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

So I finally decided to go and purchase a Brahms guitar. I'm in the process of figuring out which luthier I'm gonna commission to make the guitar, but I'm probably gonna settle with Martin Woodhouse, an apprentice of the late David Rubio, who built the first Brahms guitar for Paul Galbraith.

check it out: http://www.woodhouse-guitars.co.uk/

The guy has some beautiful 8 string guitars. I'm gonna get mine with that endspike like Paul Galbraith, as well as the fan frets. Pray it works out and I get a winner :)

Beautiful guitars! I've heard Galbraith live and the tone is even better in person than on the recordings.

WHOA WHEN DID YOU SEE HIM?! :(

I've been searching high and low for a tour date in CA, but no luck. He hasnt been here in years.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Archived