Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VMK-88plus

dales69

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think anyone knows about the VMK-88plus; just the VMK-88, VMK-188, nd VMK-188plus. That's all that's covered in my manual.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Isn't the VMK-88 plus the new name for the TMK-88? The flex plastic one w/ semi-weighted keys that they used to advertise wrapped in a figure S around some fashion model's throat? It's light (13 lbs) and very flexible. Known as the tupperware board on some other forums.

Let's just say some like a rigid board.

That makes sense. They probably re-branded it to protect the guilty. It's easier to change the name than the contents. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Studiologic's main page seems to show them as 2 different boards.

http://www.studiologic.net/

VMK-88plus details show:

* 88 full size keys with semi-weighted action

* Velocity-sensitive

* LCD Display

* Data Entry Dial

* Pitch Bend wheel

* 30 User-Programmable presets, Including 11 presets for popular softsynths from Native Instruments, Propellerheads, MOTU etc.

* 8 x 2 Programmable Knobs

* 9 x 4 Programmable Sliders

* 8 x 2 Programmable Buttons

* 5 button Sequencer Transport control (Play, Rec., Stop/Pause, FF, REW)

* 4 Programmable Pedal inputs

* Built in USB with Bus power plus 2 midi outputs

* Dimensions: 50 " x 9 " x 3.1" weight 13.5 lbs.

TMK-88 details show:

* 88-Note Controller with Synth Action

* Full Size, Semi-Weighted Keys

* Velocity Sensitive

* Modulation Wheel

* Compact, Lightweight Housing

* Sustain Pedal Input

* One MIDI output

* ON/OFF Switch with LED Indicator

* Program Change

* Bank Select

* GM Compatible

* Dimensions: 50" x 9" x 3"

* Weight: 13.5 lbs

* Includes: Power Adapter

* Instruction Manual

Overall, the VMK-88plus looks much more suited for my use.

It's kind of hard to tell whether that's a refactoring of the same or similar specs, but one key item could be the form factor of the enclosure, which probably matches the VMK's regular series.

It doesn't make sense to say semi-weighted and synth action for TMK and not mention synth action for VMK88; semi-weighted is generally understood to mean "vintage" action like on older synths (and some newer ones) and in some cases organs. That is, some mechanism or attachment that differentiates them from typical modern synth actions that are usually just bare plastic.

Sorry I'm not wording this too precisely at the moment; it's been a hectic week both at work and at "home" (i.e. studio), and I'm just doing a quick fly-by before delving deep into what I working on for another few hours. :-)

Archived