Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Possible new gig ...

EddiePlaysBass

Funny how it goes: I place an add saying I'm looking for a bass teacher, preferably jazz and if possible upright. No response, but today I got a mail from "two swing jazz guitarists" asking if I'm playing upright or not ...

I responded in all honesty that I have an electric upright, and haven't had it for too long. Pointed them to my MySpace page and told them to have a listen, and to let me know what they think. Also asked that if they see no potential for a collaboration whatsoever, to let me know so I can spot those areas that need improvement.

Curious what this will lead to (if anything) ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granted, it may not look like a 3/4 double, but that thing will have a certain "what the hell is that?"

Unless you're doing old standards, most jazz now is electric anyway. The EUB will add a certain something that other bands won't have. Good luck with the teacher. I took lessons for about three months to get the technique down. I don't think it hurt me.

Ed Friedland's books "Building Jazz Bass Lines" and "Building Walking Bass Lines" won't take the place of lessons, but they will give you a good start.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Ed Friedland's books "Building Jazz Bass Lines" and "Building Walking Bass Lines" won't take the place of lessons, but they will give you a good start.

I'm working with Todd Johnson's Walking Bass dvd's now, and a book about country music :) I have the Ed Friedland books as well, will take those out.

No luck with the teacher, but luckily there is YouTube to give me some clue :)

[edit] No response yet from the swingers, BTW

Well, looks like the swingers won't return my mail (guess my MySpace stuff scared them away or something) but I did contact the drummer & guitarist of my second band (1st with a drummer) to see if they'd be interested in doing a covers project with myself on bass and my dad on vocals, and they are interested !

Now to work out practical issues such as where, when, what and how often to rehearse, and we're set ! These guys are real good at what they do, and I look forward to playing with them again. If we can agree on all of the above, that is :) I am hoping that since they both have 2 little kids (same as my dad, only his kids ain't little no more :grin:) they'll agree to my "less practice, more gigs" approach. I have one band already that does the opposite, don't need two :)

More practice, more gigs is another approach. We use it. Kinda fun...

I'm just sayin'.

Well, my current band actually has more practice, and is getting more gigs. It's just that the practice is more of a social get-together and no new songs are actually practised. I want to try a different approach with band 2, i.e. add new songs every now and then. Ah we'll see. Usually when I'm excited about stuff like this, it ends up going nowhere fast.

Archived