Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a bassline a day

foq1978

hello!

I've been playing bass for more than 10 years (not professionaly, mind you - but I should be better by now anyway :) ). I believe everyone here has a mental list of basslines that have influenced/impressed you. Well, I've started a blog (I hope is all right to publicize it her) where I post, every weekday, a song with a bassline that influenced me. You can listen to it, see the tab (when available) and even vote if you like it or not.

the address is:

http://hearthebass.blogspot.com

Does anyone here do something similar? I would love to see it.

Take care!

------------------------------------------

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a great idea! Lists of "best evers" and "my favorites" are a dime a dozen, but this is different. I like how you've thought about what makes each bass line special to you & how you've learned from it. Keep going!

Thank you all for your comments and welcoming messages!

@Ross Brown: Cool, I hope you like it!

@dcr: Thanks for the motivation! (is this "bass that Ric built" website yours? I've visited it a couple of days ago!)

@b5pilot: Thanks! You should try making a list too. It's good to remind us what we like in bass and music in general.

@EddiePlaysBass: He is great, isn't he? It's kind of sad that more people don't know his work better.

@jeremy c: Some of them I still can't play (some I've never actually tried from start to finish). The transcription book is a great idea too. It's been a while since I played reading standard notation - I could use the exercise :)

@Joshua Chandler: Why don't start your own? It would be even better if we had a network of blogs like this. Then we could listen to several tracks everyday and be introduced to basslines and bassists we never would, otherwise.

Take care!

@Joshua Chandler: Why don't start your own? It would be even better if we had a network of blogs like this. Then we could listen to several tracks everyday and be introduced to basslines and bassists we never would, otherwise.

Don't tempt me, buddy! I just might take you up on that...

p.s.: A somewhat belated welcome to the forum! Stick around if you like it. :)

Very cool website, I really like that you've added audio so a person can hear an example of your desscription; ain't the internet great? I'll be spending more time on your site.

I don't think we should overlook Andy Rourke's bass

+1, and don't forget the rockin'

with a pick, no less! D/L the studio version for better audio quality with longer bass solo. Poor guy, in a band with Morrissey and Marr, the bass player again gets no love!

Let me recommend one: New Model Army's

, it's not Marcus Miller, but the bass player (Nelson?), propels the song for over 4 minutes without stopping, the bassline becomes the hook.

Don't forget to link the Lowdown from your blog.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

@ Bottom End: Nice recommendations! Once I played in a band where we covered 51st State of America, from New Model Army. Never heard of that band since then (I mean New Model Army, not my own).

If you don't start a blog on your favourite basslines (which i think everyone should), maybe I`ll post a note on those songs one of these days.

Take care!

Here's a little list of some of mine:

sing a simple song

stretchin' out

respect (Aretha Franklin version)

I want you back

respect yourself

Express yourself

She's not there

Born Under a Band sign

Peg

Josie

I shot the sheriff

The dry cleaner from Des Moines

Rock Steady

Shining Star (Earth Wind and Fire)

skin tight

hot pants

Cool! I will check the ones I don`t know. Lot's of good stuff on that list. Born under a bad sign is one of my favorites too. Incidentally, another Cream song will my the post for tomorrow :)

By "Express yourself" do you mean Madonna's song? I've never paid attention to its bass - must look around! Isn't it cool when you find out a song you don't particularly like has actually a great bassline?

no, I meant Express Yourself by Charles Watts and the 103rd St. Rhythm Band. [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01rL_QoE8lQ

Born Under a Bad Sign was the Albert King version with Duck Dunn on bass. That's the original version of the song. Cream's version was a cover (almost note for note).

Duck is not playing on this video.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKJ-lBOFYrQ

I'll have to do the list again with the names of the groups and bass players.

Interesting idea putting all the possible links for a given song all on the same blog. Very clean, polished and nicely done.

Granted, I'd rather jab red-hot pokers into my eyes than download a tab from Ulitmate Guitar. I guess the alternative is to transcribe, scan and save it as Adobe since everyone here is using different notation software. Probably take up way too much space way too fast.

Welcome to the forum.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

It was a diet cola product produced by the Coca-Cola Company back in the 60's and 70's. It went off the market shortly after the "Saccharin and Cyclamate" cancer scare.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cc/Tabfamily.jpg/180px-Tabfamily.jpg

no, I meant Express Yourself by Charles Watts and the 103rd St. Rhythm Band.

Man, I'm sorry to say it but listening to those vocals was like listening to William Hung do James Brown.

I tired. Man, I tried. I wanted to listen to the whole thing. I just couldn't make it. Just what the hell is an "Espresso Shelf"?

Listen to the bass part! Better yet, play it, note for note, no fills, for ten minutes.

I have. In the original song recorded in the 70's (late 60's?) he sounds much better. Also near the end of the song the bass player fills a tiny bit. At the begining of the phrase instead of Eb ghost Low Eb he does 4 16ths of the high Eb instead of the ghost note before the low Eb.

"there ain't no faux mojo" jcadmus

@Joshua Chandler: Waiting for it! Meanwhile, can you lend dcr the bass in your avatar photo? :)

If I'm not mistaken he's got one that is similar to both of mine (another 4003); his is fretted. His big fiasco with RIC dealt with the new, very rare 4004 model and lots of inexcusable factory flaws... I did manage to actually find one in a store once though! I played it and liked it, but it was built a few months after the last one DCR ever got, which was apparently the "least evil". Maybe they're getting their act together, I dunno. Either way the recession combined with increased attention from RIC has caused 4004s to pile up at some places; there are some being clearanced in New Jersey right now, for instance, for three-year old prices (that's around $1000 less).

If you want any more deets, pm me... I bet the people on this forum are sick of hearing about anything Rickenbacker-related.

Having worked in Starbucks for a year, years ago, I must say I was intrigued by this "espresso shelf" thing :)

@ jeremy c: Tab is short for tablature, a music notation system for some instruments for us who are lazy to read standard notation :) Really enjoyed the videos - specially Born Under a Bad Sign! Never heard that version before, thanks for posting.

@ Flank: What is about Ultimate Guitar that you don't like (apart from the fact that some transcriptions are nor really like the song)?

@ Slinky P: completely off-topic - why did you change your username from thebassdude? :)

@ Joshua Chandler: no prob, no rics on public messages. :)

Take care, you all

Archived