Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

da7: still a good board?

I just came across a deal for a Panasonic DA7. I tried to find some info on the piece, but it's hard to come by. I'm in the market for a control surface and here's my current setup: fast pc (p4, gig ram, 160gbhd, 128mb dvi, etc) aardvark Direct Pro q10 PC88mx Yamaha synth (just used as an organ/synth controller -dsm 500?) sonar 2.22xl reason 2.5 soundforge 6 NI B4 Trilogy some free plugins It's a home setup and i'm just starting out with computers on a serious level (tracking wise), but I'm looking at doing film scoring, some moderate jazz recordings (small combos for instance, even one instrument at a time) and music production (you know, that dance, pop, hip hop, etc stuff). For comparisson, I was looking at Mackie Controls as my number 1 option. Since Craig Anderton mentioned that he uses the DA7, I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with it. Is it a good board? I can't even find the info on whether it did 44-48-96 or even 192? ALso, can it work with sonar 2.22 (eventually 3)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... :D

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Mackie Control is a controller unit only. The DA7 is a digital mixer although its faders can be used as a MIDI control surface, so they're very different animals. I have two ADAT cards for the DA7 and send outs from Sonar to 16 channels on the DA7 and use the DA7 EQ, whose sound I really like, and of course the nice long-throw faders. I think it's an outstanding board, but it only does 44.1/48 (although it does do 5.1 surround and has a 24-bit signal path). So...do you need a mixer, or a control surface?

initially I'd say I need a control surface, and I love the mic pre's on my aardvark, but I'm not sure what the advantages of going with a mixer instead of a control surface are? Can I run both the aardvark and the da7 concurrently, or is that just asking for problems? also, since the aardvark's my soundcard, if I get rid of it and get the da7, how do I hook it up to the computer? My guess would be to keep the aardvark and route it's 8 outputs to the da7... is that right? Jee(e)bus, I posted on that thread and it was craig's post that brought me to this topic. :D

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my DA7. :D Yes... it only does 24/48 but yes it is still a great deal. As a control surface it works well... I use it with PT. Here's the deal.... if you want a button on your control surface that says "next bank of faders" then you should go with something deadicated like the Mackie. If you don't mind remembering that next bank is one of the EQ knob buttons then you can go with the DA7. In other words, it won't be as obvious when you start out which buttons on the console do what in your DAW...but this can be learned. If you DO go with a mixer instead of just a control surface you get the advantages of easy signal routing (when you add more gear), more and different sounding mic pres (the DA7s are really nice and clean), different sounding EQ and compression to play with, and generally a lot more flexibilty in how you can choose to work. You can get more info on the DA7 here: [url=http://www.da7.com]www.da7.com[/url] Hope that helps... Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

Archived