Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finale or Sibelius or something else?

AlChuck

Wow, it seems to be dead over there at the Songwriting and Composition forum, which I thought would be the most suitable place to post my question... so I'll put a pointer to it here and see if I get any advice from you guitar guys:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2099519/Finale_or_Sibelius_Or_somethin#Post2099519

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have Band in a Box. I don't like its scoring functionality - clumsy interface, painful to enter notes manually, and the printed result isn't all that great.

+1. B In B is major drag. I've heard good things about Finale, but I've never used it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I have Band in a Box. I don't like its scoring functionality - clumsy interface, painful to enter notes manually, and the printed result isn't all that great.

The latest version?

I have BIAB, and Finale. I use Finale (only for notation, no full scores...), but I have been told by a whole pile of people that BIAB is a great piece of software for this purpose. Unfortunately, I'm pretty locked into other DAW software that I have been using since the early 1990s, out of which I cannot break my paradigm. But I've turned on quite a few people to BIAB and you are the first person to say that they did not like it! (Maybe you should join me in SAWStudio and or Samplitude and Finale.) I even turned on a handicapped friend of mine to BIAB, he could not 'get' Sonar, but BIAB works for him.

But... doesn't it take the score from either your composition in BIAB, or your MIDI file input? (going by memory here...) I had no problem with the MIDI file input part, what I could not do was compose a song within BIAB, for the same reason that you state... the interface didn't work for me. (But that is the truth with ALL DAW software...they all have a different fit and feel, and we each like the ones that we like. When someone tries to tell you that one is better than the other, it is usually BS, though it may be true for -them-.) I never tried entering notes one at a time, though I have seen it demonstrated at NAMM using a MIDI guitar (which I have) and it appeared pretty straight-forward, and easy to do and to edit.

The printed results that I saw, also at NAMM, were fantastic. Entering lyrics was easy, too, and adjusting the score to account for word lengths was also easy.

Maybe it is like so many other softwares... if someone who is an expert showed you how they do it, you'd think it was dead easy. Anyway, I guess I am asking if you have explored what you already own enough to be sure that it will not do what you want?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Wow, it seems to be dead over there at the Songwriting and Composition forum, which I thought would be the most suitable place to post my question... so I'll put a pointer to it here and see if I get any advice from you guitar guys:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2099519/Finale_or_Sibelius_Or_somethin#Post2099519

Thanks!

I noticed the dead zone also...why is it that there is such a lack of interest? seems like such an interesting topic (ie. Songwriting) and yet the posts are so old????? I'll still check out the forum from time to time as there is still some pretty cool info to be found there...can't help you on the software as I'm still working with getting my Cakewalk Sonar to work on my lap top (no time...seems to be my biggest enemy)...

Take care, Larryz

The latest version?

No, 2008.

...I've turned on quite a few people to BIAB and you are the first person to say that they did not like it!

I didn't mean to imply I didn't like BIAB... I love it, for what it's good at.

I don't have a MIDI guitar and my keyboard skills are very limited so I would like to be able to enter notes one by one... in BIAB this is excruciatingly tedious.

The printed results that I saw, also at NAMM, were fantastic. Entering lyrics was easy, too, and adjusting the score to account for word lengths was also easy.

Maybe they've improved it a bunch since 2008.

Anyway, I guess I am asking if you have explored what you already own enough to be sure that it will not do what you want?

Yeah, I have. SONAR also has a notation view and is slightly easier to enter notes in manually on staves but its printed output is virtually useless.

"Secret Composer" is a new option, haven't tried it, learned about it via word-of-mouth: http://www.secretcomposer.com/

Hmmm, I took a look and it looks like it's an music composition instruction course, not a score-writing tool. From the FAQ:

Q - What exactly is Secret Composer?

A - Secret Composer is actually two programs in one: a music composition guide and a reference manual. The composition guide contains fast paced, interactive composition lessons. The reference manual contains musical information not found in the composition guide. The composition guide and the reference manual have been designed to interact seamlessly with each other.

I did post a response, as a Finale user, posted it to the other forum.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived