Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some advice?

Snowblind

Hi all I'm new here but was hoping to get some advice.

I played piano and had lessons for 8 years until I was 18 when I stopped upon going to university. It's been four years since then and I have regretted it ever since.

I'm still a student (converting to law for the nosey) and after listening to some music recently I'd really like to start playing again. Whilst I have a baby grand and a clavinova at home, I don't have a piano here at uni and getting one would be very impractical so a keyboard will have to do the job.

If anyone has any advice as to what might be a good keyboard for my needs I would be very grateful. I don't have much to spend on one however I don't really care about having loads of different instruments. Just a nice simple keyboard with proper piano like keys would be ideal (think they might be called 'hammer-action keys'?). Afterall I'm going to have to go through the basics again for a few months before I can get back to the good stuff. I'm sure my scales, etc... are pretty rusty by now, and I definitely can't remember any pieces of music :P.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could get? By not much I mean say £2-300. I haven't looked at keyboards for long time so if this is far too little for what I'd like please let me know how much I'll need to save up.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of those Casios (if not all) have built-in speakers. They sound okay, it's really up to you if they'll be enough for you. External amplification can be a whole 'nother kettle of fish

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I played one of those Casio Privias as a rehearsal board at a band's rehearsal room, and it was great for that purpose. Good solid action and quite passable piano sounds. The built-in speakers are plenty for playing by yourself, although you obviously wouldn't be able to gig with them. But that's true of nearly anything with speakers.

The organ sounds suck rocks through straws, but from your post it doesn't sound like you care about that.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

yeah, check out the Privia PX series

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

I played one of those Casio Privias as a rehearsal board at a band's rehearsal room, and it was great for that purpose. Good solid action and quite passable piano sounds. The built-in speakers are plenty for playing by yourself, although you obviously wouldn't be able to gig with them. But that's true of nearly anything with speakers.

The organ sounds suck rocks through straws, but from your post it doesn't sound like you care about that.

--Dave

Yeh I'd just be using it myself in my room at uni for when I'm not at home. Just something to get back into playing and to progress my theory on. So some classical music and a bit of jazz too.

Seems like the Casio is the thing to go for then. Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated!

Just came accross this whilst having a look around at pricing. Does this seem like a good deal should I save up an extra £100 or so? I'd test one before I bought one for obvious reasons but is it considered essential to buy the one you test out? It's a Privia PX-120 with free stand, pedal board, bench and headphones for £440.

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Casio-Privia-PX-120-Piano-and-Stand-Bench-and-Pedal-Board/AFO

I would avoid the CDP-100 (the base model); I had one, and I sold it because of the poor sound - although I loved the action. I used it at home only, for nightime practice, but even so, the sound got to my nerves. I'd recommend a PX-120 or the newer PX-130.

The CDP-100's built-in sound is very one dimensional, but it's a useful board if you're just using it as a weighted controller. If you can afford it, get more.

I can't answer about the PX-120. I've not compared the true Privia models.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived