Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

advice on hard/ATA/custom keyboard cases

ewhirsh

Hey everybody, I have two odd sized keyboards and need to upgrade cases for each. As we all know, the Yamaha S90ES is a little long and makes you have to buy the Gator GK-288, which I've had nothing but trouble with (bent seal, broken latches and handles). Then there's the Nord Stage EX Compact (just upgraded from the Electro 2 73, anyone interested in buying?) for which my Clavia gig bag no longer zippers shut.

I'd love to enter the world of simple but durable ATA cases but I have no idea where to start. Which are your favorite companies to work with on this front? I'm not a super road warrior and don't need the super heavy super durable stuff. But custom size (not bigger than necessary), handles, and casters would be great. As would not breaking the bank.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Eric

CP4, Stage EX 73, Ableton

Me The Beast Orquesta GarDel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Eric and welcome to The Keyboard Corner.

I don't know about custom cases, but others here do. I'll let them chime in on this topic.

Currently, I've got a SKB 5817W for my Kurzweil PC2X. One of the wheels has deteriorated and I wrote them a note to get it fixed. PICTURES Although the case is guaranteed, I'm hoping that I can find someone local to do the work.

I would have to contact them to see if one of their cases fits the S90ES and/or the Nord Stage EX Compact.

If you would like to sell your Electro 2 73, put it in the Keyboard Classified section (above). I'm certain someone in our area or on The Keyboard Corner may be interested.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hi Eric, welcome.

I've been buying hard cases from an EBay vendor Island Cases located in New Jersey. Casters are an option available (though I don't have them, I use a lengthened RockNRoller cart for hauling).

They are NOT full strength ATA cases for "United breaks guitars" type road use; but they are sturdy, and moderately priced. I buy only the ones with recessed hardware (since the first for my K2000VP vendor was casekits).

They list them by different models, but they do show the inside dimensions of the case. My 2661 case - I deliberately bought a K2000 case, its about 2" longer, just enough room for a sustain pedal to sit at one end. The first PC2 caes came from a different vendor - pockettrunks, and was considerably too large (cured by adding foam inside and a block of foam in the lid). The PC3 case was not listed, but dimensions are exactly same as PC2 - so that one works well. The PC2X and 3X also fit the same case size. Some of the different EBay vendor names have the same street address, but there are differences in the products.

They are substantially lower priced than SKB. To qualify - I move my own stuff, load it in the van, and take care of stuff. The 2661 & PC3 get loaded in and out 2 or 3 times a week some seasons.

Not sure if they do a S90ES case or not - my church has a Kurz SP2X, which is a couple of inches longer than my PC2X or PC3X because of the end pieces - and they don't list anything that exact size, though they do have some long enough cases - they have a separate web site with a phone number, call and see.

Second the comment by Tom on your Electro - list it on the classifieds here first. I've got a Gibson RD Artist bass that I need to sell before buying any more keyboards, but would like something very light and portable.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I have an S90es, and have owned the Stage 76 and 88.

The S90Es will fit into the SKB slimline 88 no problem, nice and safe. http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=100&o=&offset=1&c=76&s=76

The stage 76 will fit in the SKB 76 case. http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=99&o=&offset=1&c=76&s=76

The Stage 88 will fit in the 76 universal too if you have a "pre-cleat" version (velcroed inside corner cleats instead of the puzzle fit foam version.

I don't know whether the 88Slimline Cleat edition will affect the S90es fit, but I'm guessing it won't by the way it fits in my foam edition.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

At the advice of this forum's original "Eric," I had Buz King of King Kong Kases (based in Ashland, Virginia) make me custom-fit flight cases for my S90ES and my Hammond XK-1. Buz had reasonable prices, and his workmanship was very good. Eric used Buz for several cases over the years and recommended him highly at the time.

I don't know if Buz is still in business, but Google his name and/or King Kong Kases and you should turn him up. Eric might also have current contact information for him. (I tried the number I had for him, but it's apparently disconnected.)

Good luck.

Noah

P.S. Make sure you put wheels on your S90ES case.

The S90Es will fit into the SKB slimline 88 no problem, nice and safe. http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=100&o=&offset=1&c=76&s=76

Tony:

That's surprising, because the width of the S90ES (58.5") is a full three inches wider than the posted interior dimension of the SKB 88 Slimline case (55.5")???

If the S90ES fits that case, however, that's good to know....

Noah

I am using a custom made flight case for my xk1. It took a week of waiting, and around 170 but it is worth it. The case is rock solid,although a bit on the heavy side.

I suggest you go through find someone locally making those cases. take your keyboard, let them make the measurements and pay up. There are a lot of companies around doing that kind of orders.

p.s. Don't forget to order casters and extra handles! Casters are a must.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

SKB customer service promptly replied to my email today.

They are sending me replacement wheels as well as screws to replace rivets that connect the handle to the case at no charge. It's a do-it-yourself repair since they don't have repair facilities anywhere except Orange, CA.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Who installs rivets anyway? Would I look in the Yellow Pages for a machine shop? Hopefully the screws will be OK - if I can figure out how to remove the original rivets.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I had to remove rivits fairly frequently years ago in electronic work. One side of the rivit (usually the outside for appearance reasons) just has a crowned shape, but the other side has a depression in the center. Need a drill, and bit SLIGHTLY smaller than the size of the rivit. Drill down carefully until the little "ring" pops up around the drill bit, then use a hammer and punch to push the rest of the rivit out of the hole.

(then comes the aggravating part, getting the little "ring" worked off the drill bit so one can move on to the next rivit.) A machine shop probably would use a hydraulic press, at least if the rivit is placed somewhere that is accessible.

Probably could also use a Dremel tool with a stone on it to cut down the lip of the rivit.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Tony:

That's surprising, because the width of the S90ES (58.5") is a full three inches wider than the posted interior dimension of the SKB 88 Slimline case (55.5")???

If the S90ES fits that case, however, that's good to know....

Noah

WHen I bought my S90es I brought my 88 Slimline case (which normally holds my A90)just to see, and it fit perfectly: didn't have change foam ANYwhere. So now that case works for both the A90 and my S90es.

ewhirsch:

Are you sure "Island Cases" is physically located in New Jersey? There's a "Long Island Cases" that uses other names, like "New York Cases", they advertise an e-bay and their cases are absolute flimsy garbage. No guarantee either. Whoever you buy from, be SURE the case comes with a guarantee, in writing.

No matter what anyone tells you, cases made of plywood are still the most solid case you can buy. You need to get cases that have the best quality hardware, in particular handles, and latches. I have some Anvil cases that I bought in the seventies that are still in great working condition. I used them full time traveling on the road for three years, as well as playing weekend gigs and a part-time basis for over 40 years. The only thing that is wrong with them is the foam lining has fell apart due to age and use.

Eric Lawson's case maker would be a good bet too. I've seen pictures of what that dude makes and I think you would need to plant an explosive in the middle of it to destroy his cases. Eventually, Eric will read this thread and post his contact info. Otherwise, look in to high end Anvil cases and bring you American Express. If you plan to keep those boards for years to come, buy good cases, if not consider how long you are going to keep them and try to get by with what you have until its time to buy new boards.

Edit: you could get by with an SKB case for your Electro, its not that heavy, but your S90ES is a heavy weight, so think in terms of heavy weight cases. You get what you pay for.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm going to disagree with Mike here. I used to own flight cases for EVERY thing I owned. About 7 years ago, I had to take my Motif 8 overseas for a 7week tour. I had bought the Motifator/SKB case and was using it for the road (we were traveling by van/trailer, and the case was fine and I didn't have time to wait 2-3 weeks for my case). But I ordered the RnR ATA flight case for my Motif 8 for this trip. The airlines wouldn't take it. Too big, too heavy, no ifs ands or buts, "it's not getting on any airplane". I had to send the keyboard back with our roadie to my house to get the Motifator SKB case and ship it to me seperately. I had to do 3 gigs with just an Electro (not easy when you're a piano player trying to play piano on an Electro keyboard, for me anyway) which was in its own ATA case.

My Motif and its SKB case showed up in Hawaii from Chicago just fine. It travelled commercial for 7 weeks, a flight every day, no problem. I had called SKB and asked them ship me a couple spare latches and a spare handle in case the case got damaged, and they sent those parts free. I never needed them. That case held up wonderfully, and I used it for 5 more years.

The next tour I flew with my Electro in an SKB case, and a Kurzweil SP76 in an SKB case. That was another flight every day for 7 weeks deal, and the keyboards were fine. (I didn't take my Motif 8 that trip as we were doing a lot of playing in Iraq, and many trips were being taken by Blackhawk chopper, and there's no way that keyboard would fit.) No broken anything on those cases, and the keyboards were very very safe.

I haven't bought a flight case since. For one thing, the airlines won't let them on a plane. For another, I don't treat my gear as carelessly as an airline does, and if the SKBs can survive an airline for 7+ weeks, it can survive me.

Plus we're talking the difference of at least 40lbs minimum between ATA case and an SKB for your S90es.

Let me also mention that while you can also get an SKB for around $225 (better pricing if you have great relationships with your local retailers), a custom ATA case will cost you at least double, and for the real deal RnR cases, you're looking closer to $600. I did it for years, their cases are brilliant, they are the standard of the industry, and they do the cases for everyone from The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Elton John to McDonalds. But again, unless you plan to be dropping these things down flights of stairs on a REGULAR basis, the SKB cases will be more than enough protection. (They will survive the OCCASIONAL drop down the flight of stairs just fine too, it's happened to me.)

Tony:

That's interesting. I might have tried a different airline; but I don't know how many airlines fly to the Islands. I've always thought SKB cases were too expensive for what they are. However, weight if definitely an issue with plywood cases. I have a heavyweight plywood case for my Motif ES8 and move it myself. Not a lot of fun at my age. But my Motif is safe and sound. I don't know about the prices on the RnR cases, but I only paid $299 for a plywood ATA cases for my ES8, recessed hardware too. Moral of the story, shop around.

I will be honest and say that I had a 16 space rack case with plywood construction. After I loaded it up with all my gear, including power amp and mixer, I couldn't move it up and down the steps of my house by myself. It would be double-hernia time if I attempted to do that on a regular basis. So I bought an SKB 8 space rack case, and kept my mixer in a separate case I already had. The SKB ATA cases was more expensive than the 16 space plywood case that I couldn't manage. I will say the SKB case has worked out well for me. Quality consruction and great hardware. Just a lot of money for glorified plastic, that's all.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Are you sure "Island Cases" is physically located in New Jersey? There's a "Long Island Cases" that uses other names, like "New York Cases", they advertise an e-bay and their cases are absolute flimsy garbage. No guarantee either. Whoever you buy from, be SURE the case comes with a guarantee, in writing.

I was the poster on Island Cases. New Jersey was wrong, their EBay listing states Holbrook, NY. The OP stated he was interested in a case for personal transport, not shipment by a commercial carrier. I personally own five cases made by that company - they are NOT the full heavy-duty case; but I have had no trouble with them over several years. this link is an example of one of my cases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-CUSTOM-Case-RECESSED-for-KURZWEIL-PC2X-PC-2X_W0QQitemZ270336676390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item3ef1525226&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

The cases I have bought are made of 1/4" plywood, although not very thick plywood. Covered in some form of Tolex, with metal hardware. I would not even begin to compare them with a $600 professional case; but the last one I ordered cost me just over $100 shipped. SKB probably are better, but at least double the money.

The average touring muso's cases would likely get more use in a month than mine in a year. Only point - buy something heavy enough and priced accordingly to expected usage. What I do NOT have is soft cases (except for a 49key MIDI controller), as I feel that even a low end hard case offers more protection.

Jim

Moodyblueskeys:

I have a 16 space rack case built by those bozos that is the flimsiest piece of garbage I ever had. I will be happy to sell it to you CHEAP, if you pay the shipping. I only used it one time, that was enough.

Mike T.

hey everyone, thanks for weighing in.

Buz from King Kong Kases (http://www.kingkongkases.com/) got back to me quite promptly with a quote for cases: $435 for the S90ES, $365 for the Nord.

I suspect I might one day fly around with the Nord, but less so the S90ES (would rather rent/backline). I'll mostly be a van guy. The story about "SKB cases served me fine on airplanes" was enticing because I certainly dont look forward to the weight of ATA cases.

There is a local production company that makes their own cases, I might approach them to repair my Gator GK-288 or make a new one.

Does anyone know about this line of SKB cases? This one seems to fit an S90ES.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKBR6020W/

Eric

ewhirsh:

I went to KingKongCases.com. Either my Browser is not working correctly or they don't have any links to the specs and their instrument cases. What's their warranty?

Don't be too impressed that they got back to right away with a QUOTE, they are trying to sell you something. I'll be impressed with a company when I contact them AFTER the sale with a problem or warranty issue and get an immediate response.

$435 is a bit steep. Keep looking, getting prices, warranty info, and comparing.

Mike T.

Speaking of SKB cases, have they gotten any better over the years? I got two of them when they first hit the market in the 90s -- one for a 61-note board, one for an 88. Loved how light they were. Then I put them on a plane. The little one broke open completely, and arrived in baggage claim held together with duct tape. The big one stayed closed, but the pitch stick on the board inside was broken. I got rid of them ASAP and never looked back, thinking the company wouldn't be in business for another year.

Since they still are, I can only assume that either they've gotten better, or else there are enough players out there who will buy the cheapest possible case, no matter how crappy, to keep them in business. Which is it?

First, King Kong Kases is really a "he" (Buz King), not a "they." Also, for what it's worth, I never had to contact Buz after I bought my two cases from him (S90ES and XK-1) because I never had any problems with them at all. They are made-to-order, custom-fit, well-built cases, with quality hardware and wheels (on my S90ES case).

Eric, too, has had several cases made by Buz, some of which I believe have been in service for Brother E for more than a decade.

I don't take issue with MikeT's recommendation to keep looking, getting prices, warranty info, and comparing. That's all totally fine and appropriate. I just wanted to put in a positive vote of confidence for Buz given Mike's implication that he's just looking to make a sale. I'm sure he is looking to make a sale, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't deliver a good quality product in exchange. He does.

Noah

Does anyone know about this line of SKB cases? This one seems to fit an S90ES.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKBR6020W/

Eric

I've not used them, but I investigated them at Guitar Center. They're garbage. They are shells with no padding. IF you drop the case nothing protects it inside.

Go with their usual cases, you won't be disappointed.

And to Mike, changing airlines would have been pointless: EVERYONE had moved to 100lb limits (we were on a number of airlines on this tour), but the ATA case with Motif 8 was way over. I used to look down on SKB cases before those tours, no longer.

Eric, send me the dimensions of your Electro/Stage, whichever youre shipping. I have a practically brand new RnR flight case I had made for the Electro 2 73 that may be big enough. Its done in their Gray Slate material, so it looks nice, has a serial number which will be helpful if it ever is lost or stolen, and was only used for one tour. Very little scuffing, the interior is immaculate, and Ill sell it to you for $150. Hit me offline for that one.

Speaking of SKB cases, have they gotten any better over the years? I got two of them when they first hit the market in the 90s -- one for a 61-note board, one for an 88. Loved how light they were. Then I put them on a plane. The little one broke open completely, and arrived in baggage claim held together with duct tape. The big one stayed closed, but the pitch stick on the board inside was broken. I got rid of them ASAP and never looked back, thinking the company wouldn't be in business for another year.

Since they still are, I can only assume that either they've gotten better, or else there are enough players out there who will buy the cheapest possible case, no matter how crappy, to keep them in business. Which is it?

I don't buy crap, regardless of how cheap or light it is. If it doesn't WORK, it's crap. I've never cut corners when it came to protecting my gear (even my leslies had flight cases AND covers). I won't hesitate to use an SKB case. As I posted earlier, I have and I do, and I've shipped a Motif 8, Electro 2, Kurzweil SP76 across the world on 7 week tours. The Electro in its SKB case did 3 of those tours. NONE of my instruments were damaged, and surprisingly, after all that travel, none of my cases were either. They were scratched up pretty good, but they did the job: PROTECTED MY GEAR.

I have no affiliation with SKB but I'd be happy to be an endorsee spokesman as I believe in their product thanks to my real (extreme) world applications.

Man I'm glad we've gone around and talked about . Between this and the recent "3 tier stand" thread I'm glad to be covering some of the more boring but useful aspects of the life of a keyboardist.

Now, who can tell me the best bags, backpacks, cases for cables and pedals? :-)

Now, who can tell me the best bags, backpacks, cases for cables and pedals? :-)

I'm sorry Eric. Your allotment of stupid, err... disfunctional, ummm... You can't ask any more questions. :mad:

I don't have a good reason. I just wanted to bust your chopz a little. :laugh:

Tom

I don't buy crap, regardless of how cheap or light it is. If it doesn't WORK, it's crap. I've never cut corners when it came to protecting my gear (even my leslies had flight cases AND covers). I won't hesitate to use an SKB case.

Guess that answers my question. Good to know. Thanks! ;)

I swore off SKB years ago due to how flimsy the latches are. But that was for stackable rack cases, not keyboard cases. I probably have a couple of guitar/bass and/or keyboard cases from them, second-sourced by the vendors -- though I think they're Gator.

The testimony here is probably worth more than my early experience in the mid-to-late 90's combined with similar negative reports in on-line reviews at e-stores like Musician's Friend. But I personally feel the higher-end Gator cases are slightly better made than the higher-end SKB cases, in terms of latch quality and joins, which are the main stress points.

I don't use plastic for racks anymore and haven't for almost a decade, due to how poorly they stack. Too easy for the top rack to slip off due to vibrations at a gig or just because you bump into it. But I'm getting older and am near hernia territory with my plywood cases. I may be forced to go back to lighter plastic.

Back to keyboard cases though, I printed out a bunch of 88-key fits a month ago for consideration as PC3X cases. I haven't taken the time to thoroughly study them yet, but am somewhat inclined towards ProTec's top-of-line vinyl-covered plywood case, as it is the best fit and that can sometimes matter the most. Also, I had good experience with ProTec in the past.

It's important to always compare apples with apples and not dismiss a brand entirely just based on their entry-level stuff. SKB cases have gone way up in price over the years so if anyone thinks they're cheap, they may be referring to their total crap entry-level cases. A vinyl bag would be better than that. :-)

I did have a NewYork Cases case briefly, for my MOTIF ES 8. I had to sell it immediately as it wouldn't fit in my car. I had insisted on both inner and outer dimensions and explained my situation, but somehow they goofed and were off by 1-1.5 inches. It couldn't clear the very steep decline going into the back of my Protege. I was sad to see it go as it seemed well-constructed, but this was NOT the one they advertise on eBay but rather an ATA flight case at well over $400.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have a 16 space rack case built by those bozos that is the flimsiest piece of garbage I ever had. I will be happy to sell it to you CHEAP, if you pay the shipping. I only used it one time, that was enough.

Mike T.

I have NO experience with their rack cases. The last rack gear I had was ham radio gear, and it didn't get moved much. If I had any rack mount gear, might consider buying it, but I don't have any rack mount gear to move.

I also haven't tried any of the their cases for any of the HEAVY keyboards (like a K2600X). At almost 68, I probably couldn't lift such items into the van anyhow. Since all their instrument cases are 1/4" plywood, the larger ones are probably easier to bend and damage than the smaller ones.

Eric probably won't do any better than Tonysounds offer for the Electro (if it fits).

Jim

Archived