Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A neck wood question...

picker

None are one piece. Always rock maple fretboard.

The 20 y.o. is a tilt back Jackson pointy headstock. It was custom made for me in San Dimas CA back in the glory days of pointy headstock and big hair.

The latest is Warmoth with a reverse Tele headstock straight. I regret not ordering the tilt back option. String trees suck!

My next Strat monstrosity will have a reverse Strat headstock tilt back style...

I just like tuners on the bottom if you're curious...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ebony fretboard on a maple neck...didn't know they made truly ebony...this is the only Fender Strat I've seen with ebony so far...

OK, clearer now. Several times in this thread the term ebony neck has come up & I've not seen a neck made from ebony, just fretboards, so I thought I may have been undereducated about some esoteric construction methods.

Scott Fraser

It looks like they do make all ebony necks (as pointed out by Caevan) and it would be interesting to see how they would compare to a solid maple neck, I doubt I'll ever get a chance to find out as you don't see them that often and I've only seen the fretboard on the Strat so far...

Take care, Larryz

I'm terrifically interested in someday trying out a quarter-sawn Douglas Fir neck or two, but I'm pretty sure that it'd need a separate fretboard of another, harder tone-wood. (See the Erlewine/Wendler thread that I put up a link to in a previous post on this thread.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I know a guy with a Warmoth Tele that has a solid rosewood neck. He says it sounds marvelous.

Can you get your hands onnitt? Pics? Some posts from this guy you know? :thu::cool: Bring 'im around! :thu:

It looks like they do make all ebony necks (as pointed out by Caevan) and it would be interesting to see how they would compare to a solid maple neck, I doubt I'll ever get a chance to find out as you don't see them that often and I've only seen the fretboard on the Strat so far...

Yes that is interesting. If it's so prized for jazz guitar fretboards & bowed string fingerboards, you have to wonder how it would be for an entire neck. I have heard from a luthier friend, though, that ebony is being over-harvested, is very slow growing, & is also showing an unfavorable response to global warming. So, yet another wonderful natural resource is becoming endangered.

Since you have all 3 in otherwise similar guitars, how does the ebony fingerboard compare to your maple & rosewood fingerboards? I'm imagining brighter than rosewood, yet warmer than maple, but I really have never played one.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I'm terrifically interested in someday trying out a quarter-sawn Douglas Fir neck or two, but I'm pretty sure that it'd need a separate fretboard of another, harder tone-wood.

Doug Fir is very soft. Beautiful grain, but it dents really easily. I used a lot of Doug Fir for the finish carpentry in my studio & it looks wonderful, but has been showing some wear over the years. It's a little more dense than pine, but not a lot, so I question its usefulness as a neck. Then again, Dave Wendler uses Cedar, which is fairly soft, for his bodies, so maybe it would work.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I'm terrifically interested in someday trying out a quarter-sawn Douglas Fir neck or two, but I'm pretty sure that it'd need a separate fretboard of another, harder tone-wood.

Doug Fir is very soft. Beautiful grain, but it dents really easily. I used a lot of Doug Fir for the finish carpentry in my studio & it looks wonderful, but has been showing some wear over the years. It's a little more dense than pine, but not a lot, so I question its usefulness as a neck. Then again, Dave Wendler uses Cedar, which is fairly soft, for his bodies, so maybe it would work.

Scott Fraser

He (Dave Wendler) also sometimes uses Douglas Fir for necks with those cedar bodies, too. (As has Dan Erlewine; see the thread I put up a link to earlier in this thread.)

It's apparently very stiff and stable, particularly for its weight, and especially if quarter-sawn.

I don't think it'd be a good choice for a fretboard or a solid/one-piece neck, thought!

Yes that is interesting. If it's so prized for jazz guitar fretboards & bowed string fingerboards, you have to wonder how it would be for an entire neck. I have heard from a luthier friend, though, that ebony is being over-harvested, is very slow growing, & is also showing an unfavorable response to global warming. So, yet another wonderful natural resource is becoming endangered.

Since you have all 3 in otherwise similar guitars, how does the ebony fingerboard compare to your maple & rosewood fingerboards? I'm imagining brighter than rosewood, yet warmer than maple, but I really have never played one.

Scott Fraser

I would rate maple 1st, ebony 2nd, and rosewood 3rd as far as feel but that was before I had my rosewood worked over by my luthier (ie. filed outside edges of the biting frets, adjusted the action, and oiled her up) now I rate rosewood and ebony tied for feel...for tone the maple has the best treble and country rock sound, the rosewood has the best all around sound and the ebony is mellow (but this is more of a guess as the different pickup configurations on electrics overpower my ability to rate the wood factor) Also the Clapton has vintage thin frets which gives the maple neck a whole different feel along with the fact that it's a soft V instead of a C neck...one of the best feeling maple necks is on my 50th anniversary so each Strat kinda has it's own vibe and this whole rating thing is via running straight to the amp and only using reverb (no pedals)....I think any 3 players would rate them 3 different ways...but the ebony has a cool all black and chrome look and the fretboard does have a great feel...sorry to hear it's an endangered wood...I'm wondering how well ebony does on acoustic guitars and I imagine from what you're saying with regard to jazz & orchestral instruments, it's top of the line?

Take care, Larryz

Archived