Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ibby electronics

Chewbubba

Ok, I'm growing frustrated with the electronics in my Ibby SR1000. Just last year I replaced one of the stacked pots (high cut/boost, low cut/boost) because it was dirty and popped/crackled when I changed the highs.

Pretty much all the EQ related pots are doing the same thing to various degrees - even the one I replaced (which worked fine shortly after replacement).

I don't know what the heck is going on, but I've never had trouble on this scale with electronics.

Anybody else experience problems like this with their Ibbys or other basses? What the heck could be causing this? I'm not playing a bunch of outdoor gigs. 97% of them are in air conditioned buildings. Anyway, it's going to be expensive to replace all those, and I'm not looking forward to it.

:mad:

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, they are the squarish pots that are really difficult to get into. That's why I went ahead and replaced one last year, but it too is already sounding like it's dirty.

I just can't believe it's dirty already, and don't know why it's happening. The bass stays in the case and pretty much only comes out on weekends, smoke-free environments, and air-conditioned/low humidity.

I also wondered if any other Ibanez owners have had trouble with their pots in this manner.

Audere uses similar pots, maybe you could have David Meadows build you a replacement harness. I have a lot of confidence in his work and it's not that expensive. I chucked one of his harnesses into one of my basses--the Classic 4 Band--and was very, very pleased with the resulting sound.

Your bass is active right? In which case I'd really recommend the swap, if you aren't happy...

I LOVE the sound, I'm just grumpy [see other thread] about them going bad. And I don't want to throw any new electronics in there, Ibby or otherwise, until I can figure out why they are going bad so fast. I don't have this problem with any of my other basses.

I've had my Ibanez since 2002 IIRC. I've never had a problem with any of the electronics. Infact, it is the magical bass that has had the same two 9v batteries in it since I bought it and still doesn't need a replacement...I can't explain it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

My bass is the exception. I have no idea why it is that way...I just don't ask questions.

As for yours...there might be a faulty contact somewhere or something. Do you unplug your bass when you're not playing? Unplugging the cable from the instrument should disconnect the battery for longer life. My Ibanez is my only active bass so I don't know for certain how often one should normally change batteries, but I'd think that once a month would be a bit excessive.

I've had scratchy pots on my Ibanez a few times. I've not had to change any though. Each time it seems to go away the next time I play. I'm not sure if it is batteries, the lead, the DI unit, or the PA that I am using that is interacting in some strange way. When I practice I either DI to the PA, plug into the PC or use my amp but have never had the problem when using my amp on a gig. Next time I get the problem I'll make a note and try to experiment.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Chewbubba, do you use a humidifier at all? I've seen those leave an almost invisible film on everything in the room due to unfiltered water, and wreak havoc on all of the electronics in the room, cased or not. An under-the-sink filter took care of that issue.

Also, what is the inside of your case made of? I had one that I just got rid of that left a fine layer of dust on my bass. it was an older case so I guess it was just wearing out...

Sometimes the contacts inside the pots just get dirty, and all that is needed is to work them back and forth (full range) while a signal is going through them plug in the bass, pluck a string hard and work the pot while the string is vibrating. Chewbubba, I don't know if this will solve all of your pot problems, but it sounds like exactly what is going on with TimR's bass. It's not necessarily an Ibanez thing, but an electronic thing in general. Contacts get dirty, caused by the arc from the signal traveling from one to the other. Looser fitting contacts will show it more than nice tight ones, but they all do it... switches, pots, any thing that allows a signal to travel between two contacts. Why your bass is having such consistent issues, I could only speculate... circuit is allowing too much juice through, maybe, cooking the contacts before their time? An intermittent loose connection in there somewhere, causing too much draw on the batteries? (Would explain shortened battery life, too)

Lots of possibilities.

Good luck...

TimR... next time you hear the scratchy pots, work them back and forth a few time with a strong signal, and they should clear up pretty quickly.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Archived