Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best amp to use with a floor processor?

Eric Ferreri

I use a floor processor in live performances. An RP14D and an RP1000. They always sound great at home but when run through the PA the sound changes dramatically. Which are the best combo amps to use with a processor to get the best sound? All opinions are welcome.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew a guy who used two non-reverb Princeton amps, one blackface and silver. He ran the RP unit in stereo, sending the left and right outs each to a Princeton of it's own. He got a number of amazing tones out of the setup, and with both amp's volume knobs set somewhere around 12-1 o'cloc, he was loud enough that I had to turn my Boogie up a notch more than usual to keep up.

Get two of something tube and about 15 watts, you'll love it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Are you using the modeling section of the RP1000 through an amp at home and direct through the PA when playing live? (I have the RP1000).

When I use my amp, I use the four cable method and only use the effects of the RP. Otherwise, I use a powered monitor and run the RP direct to it...then on to the PA. In that case, I'm using the modeled amp tones.

I haven't used the modeled tones through my amp. I tried a POD that way and it wasn't very accurate. I know the Atomic Amps are supposed to be a better match, but that assumes you'll be using the modeling section as the Atomics don't have any preamps built in.

IMO, using modelers one should forget using a guitar amp and either use a keyboard amp or use a powered monitor and go direct. Regular guitar amps will color the sound and the typical guitar speaker doesn't have the range needed to fully reproduce the modeler's tone (which is fully processed).

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Like all gear choices based on sound, this would be an individual thing.

If you use an amp small enough to be mic'd through the PA, you'll still have to deal with the EQ/tonal issues.

Maybe a good idea would be to work with the person mixing the sound to develop some preferred settings.

d=halfnote

Another good place to ask around (or, maybe doing some searches there to start would be better at first) would be the (DigiTech) GNX4 Live-forum; do some searches there concerning "guitar amp", "best amp", "guitar speakers", "PA", "live sound", etc.

There are probably some similar forums and resources out there focusing on your RP14D and/or RP1000, although anything that will work well for a GNX4 (or any other digital-modeler) should work pretty much equally well for your RP's...

lightbulb.gifIf you use a guitar amp, I do think that the speaker used will also prove to be a key element; you'd probably get better results from something a little more full-range/flat- for a guitar speaker, that is- like an EV or JBL guitar-speaker, as opposed to most celestion and Jensen types, which will color the sound a little more and double-up on that coloration with the amp, speaker and cab simulations of the modeler...

Here are links to some related, recent threads there:

Using Combo Amps with GNX4

noob with a GNX4 Marshall AVT 50h question

Does anyone else feel this way? (Speaker Compensation uses)

Marshall JVM 410 full stack ....Using GNX4 in effects loop

Help with settings for Live active PA speaker!!!

Bestaluck, and keep us posted- let us know how things work out for ya!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was skimming down through the posts and thought you title said:

"best amp to use with a food processor" :D

lightbulb.gif:rawk: Well, that would undoubtedly be the Krank Amplification Krankenstein Dimebag amp! :D (With the pre-requisite noisegate for start-stop karate-chop riffin' to augment that mighty power-tool/appliance buzz!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived