Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommedation for beginner keyboard

Vaslo

Hello everyone. I am not new to instruments by any means, but I don't know a ton about keyboards/synthesizers. I am looking to start learning some songs to supplement my guitar/bass playing and I am looking for a recommendation for a newbie keyboard. A few things:

-I like a machine with a good bit of options (effects or things that make keyboarding exciting). I like playing music from the 70's and 80's for fun, as well as electronic music.

-I don't mind spending a little more. I find I more easily lose interest in something if its junky or cheap. I dont want to break the bank, but I don't want a throwaway thats no fun to play

-Something that can interface with a mac or pc well is also nice

Thanks to everyone, and please let me know if additional info helps, sorry for my newbie question.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best, most comprehensive, keyboard available for what you describe is, by a long way, the M50 by Korg.

I have the 88-note (weighted keys) version, but it's also available in 61 & 73-note ('semi-weighted') models.

It is simply a superb 'what it can't do, you don't need' keyboard - and is possibly the best value-for-money keyboard ever.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

PS: I'm NOT a korg salesman - I just happen to think it's a great keyboard!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Aw, I grew up in the wrong decade!

What... you've already finished growing up??? - musos NEVER grow-up, do they? !!!!!

I'm 45 - but probably had more sense when I was 16!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

totally agree. also have an m50 and it rocks. go get one before korg realise they are selling it too cheap!!! programability is very good plus u can also take it out on a stage and play to 60,000 people and it will still sound like the world is about to end.
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

Archived