Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ok, hmmm....I, uh...(new fish content)

rizzo9247

That's a "wotsit" for our friends across the pond, BTW.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Body by BMW? Looks more like an American Standard design to fit oblong bowls. :eek:

What counts is that people who own Bongos dig them. I just can't get past the body. Good on you Rizzo! Enjoy the bass, or the next one.

- Matt W.

God, I would love one. I love the way they sound (and look). I ABed one against a Stingray recently... it was Bongo all the way for me.

If they made one in natural finish I'd sell one of my current three basses to get a solid 5er in my stable. Fretless too perhaps...

*drooling*

Basswood.

"None of the (non-wood) materials panned out, but it's still my dream to find new ways to tune the resonance of an instrument. I also met with Callaway Golf to explore titanium but that didn't work out. We tried ash and basswood - I think we tried alder, too - and the basswood was the most balanced wood. It just clicked."

-Sterling Ball

Actually I have also heard that Sterlings have a consistent problem... I think it was a consistent dead spot or something. Weird because short scales should probably have fewer...

SUB Basses should be fine, insofar as I can tell; I liked the ones I tried as much as any Stingray.

Sterlings are not short scale. They are 34".

StingRays and Sterlings are both said to have dead spots on the G string around frets 5-7 more often than many other makes.

The Sterlings are very similar to StingRays but with a more jazz-like neck and the 4-strings have the 3-way pickup selector switch unlike the StingRays.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Okay, GAS pains rising!!! That is sweet but I need the metal cross thingys you press down behind.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

StingRays and Sterlings are both said to have dead spots on the G string around frets 5-7 more often than many other makes.

More often than the telltale Fender dead spot? Out of the countless Fender basses I've played I can only remember finding a handfull that didn't have an obvious dead spot at the 7th fret on the G string.

More often than the telltale Fender dead spot? Out of the countless Fender basses I've played I can only remember finding a handfull that didn't have an obvious dead spot at the 7th fret on the G string.

I agree with you except for when they introduced lighter tuners. I found a lot fewer of those with dead spots.

Sorry to be so late to this. A few comments....

Rizz - congrats - nice deal. Fine instrument and I've never seen or heard of any construction issues on those. Quality!

When we talk of Sterlings, we're now in deep trouble. Unless I missed it, we need to adopt a linguistic convention (cue CMDN to tell me I'm a linguistic convention). There is now a bass "model" called Sterling (the one we've known for years) and "line of basses" called Sterling. I recommend we talk about "Sterling Brand basses" when we're talking about the new foreign-made line that just came out.

I've liked the Bongo, and played a very nice dark red 4 that had lots of variety in sounds. The price was probably worth it but more than I wanted to spend.

I can't help but think that if they started the Bongo marketing years ago with smoke, dark red, and dark blue (instead of orange), it would have de-emphasized the shape and might have been more accepted.

I must disagree with my brother moderator about the color of this bass. He is correct that it isn't fast or loud or able to make you play like JeremyC (all valuable traits). But it's Egyptian Smoke - it has the wisdom of the ancients and the mystery of the middle east. It can charm asps, allow for cool jewelry (like those golden armbands), and compliments the building of great structures (isn't an amp stack really just a way to say "I'm great" like the pyramids?). Yes - the color has a mysterious quality that will enhance the player's music.

Or maybe in Rizzo's case, it will be gone as quickly as the sands shift in the desert.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Or maybe in Rizzo's case, it will be gone as quickly as the sands shift in the desert.

DING!

Correct (as the new owner in Ames, IA can attest).

I apologize I do not have a prize to offer you, but I hope the pictures of the next fish will suffice.

Wow - moved it already? You're a wild and crazy guy!

...and I vote for "MM Sterling" as the differentiation.

We need two terms - you gave one without further definition. Thanks for amplifying the problem - feel free to try again.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

...and I vote for "MM Sterling" as the differentiation.

We need two terms - you gave one without further definition. Thanks for amplifying the problem - feel free to try again.

Tom

We were figuring out how to distinguish Sterling from Sterling so I suggested calling one the MM Sterling. It would make sense to call a bass by make and model. If there isn't anything else out there that can be confused with it, it can be called by just the model name like "Ergodyne" with basses or "Camero" with cars. Until recently we could just call a bass a "Sterling" and know that it was a MM but those days are behind us. However, calling a car a "240," one could be referring to a Nissan, Datsun, Volvo, Lotus, etc. so a 240 must be qualified with the make as well as the model. Accordingly, I think the basses should be called MM Sterling and Sterling *insert model here*.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought this was common sense. :P

Archived