Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What tune is Mike Stern playing on here?

Jazz+

Anybody know the title of tune?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4clGilSow

I heard Mike play it live with The Brecker Brothers in the 90's and the solo he did the night I saw it has always stuck in my mind but I don't know what album it was ever on. He plays with an urgent sense of almost delerious abandonment. I like the way the distortion kicks in at 2:40 and then Chambers cuts loose with double kick drumming at 4:05

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chambers is a favorite drummer. He was McLaughlin's main drummer for several years

I think Stern was the Brecker Bros guitarist for quite a while until he went solo

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks, I actually forgot that I have a complete chart for "Song For Barry"

Great stuff.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

It was Barry Rogers, a trombonist who worked in New York with several latin bands but recorded from the mid sixties to the late eighties with artists like Ron Carter, Cal Tjader, Pucho and His Latin Soul Brothers and Don Grolnick. He was a founding member of Dreams and did countless sideman record dates with The Brecker Brothers. Rogers' death shortly begore the recording of "Return of the Brecker Brothers" propmted Michael's tune Song For Barry.

Archived