Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy trade

I recently pulled out the Beatles Anthology DVD and a Stones 6 disc DVD set, and was reminded of the days when I had a Gretsch Double Anniversary, and my buddy who had a Country Gentleman... and I'm watching George Harrison with his various Gretsch hollow bodies, and Brian Jones with his Anniversary, I've been thinking about the Buffalo Springfield, I recently watched a Neil Young DVD, and I'm thinking, "Hmmmmmm...."

Well, a quick perusal of graigslist found a 1967 Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean for sale. I contacted the owner, offering a trade instead. I traded even, my 1968 Gibson J-160e for his Gretsch.

Now, I love the sound of the J-160e, and it nails the Beatles acoustic guitar sound. But I was never comfortable with the neck, it is just too small for my hand, too thin. And as I approach retirement and plan to scale down the collection, I already knew that I didn't want to keep the J-160e. I had thought to sell it.

So I look up the characteristics of the two guitars, and both are listed as low end offerings, not very collectible.

Both guitars had been played hard, neither was in 'collectible' condition, but neither had been modified.

So we traded even up. And not only did I get a new toy to play with, but I met another very cool musician. We shared a nice afternoon together, and I hope that we'll hang out, because the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend and I enjoyed his company.

So I wondered... any other happy trades out there?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool trade!

So I look up the characteristics of the two guitars, and both are listed as low end offerings, not very collectible.

Surprised at that. I guess they must be sleepers. Makes ya wanna snap some up while the gettin's good.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Archived