Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's that Sadowsky time of year again...my how time flies!

_Sweet Willie_

Can everyone help me understand something here?

Why does everyone gets so psyched about $3000 copies of 50-year-old designs?

For about the same price, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of luthiers who can do their own body shapes, offer the same degree of quality, with better, more stable forms of construction, like set-in, deep-set bolt-on, and neck-through, for about the same price.

I'm certainly not bashing Sadowsky, Alleva-Copollo, Mike Lull, Wayne Charvel, or Gary Kramer, but, for $3K, shouldn't we be expecting a bit more than a Fender copy?

This is a topic for a different thread...the guy is trying to score a free bass...lets have some fun with it.

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a topic for a different thread...

Yeah, maybe in the Fender influence thread... Click me!

Mr. Sadowsky, I apologize for the brief deviation from the thread topic. I hope you found it neither distracting nor disheartening. Please keep on doing what you do, and think kindly of me as you oversee the building of the next few Will Lee models.

Warm regards,

--Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

For about the same price, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of luthiers who can do their own body shapes, offer the same degree of quality, with better, more stable forms of construction, like set-in, deep-set bolt-on, and neck-through, for about the same price.

I'm certainly not bashing Sadowsky, Alleva-Copollo, Mike Lull, Wayne Charvel, or Gary Kramer, but, for $3K, shouldn't we be expecting a bit more than a Fender copy?

You just talkin' crazy, now, CC... ;)

Dr. Sweet Willie has his dream, it's not for us to judge. He's our forum pal, so we want to help him realize his dream if we can.

(FWIW, I love and play Fender-style basses, but IMO ain't a one of 'em worth more than $300.00 retail, Fenders included.)

Good luck, Willie!

Hey Willie,

Well I just celebrated my 60th 10 days ago. How about you giving me a birthday present by buying a bass from me! :love:

Seriously, my warmest regards for a very happy and healthy birthday!!

Your pal,

Roger

Thanks, Roger! Fair enough proposition. Perhaps we'll end up "exchanging gifts" one of these years in the spirit of what you've proposed.

That said, I just may stroll into your shop in the not-too-distant future to say hello, try a couple of instruments, and wish you many happy returns in person.

Best regards,

Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Mr. Sadowsky (I can't say that without images of Mickey Mouse's silhouette tugging at a conductor's tux tails popping into my head) registered a few years back. Presumably in response to one of these letters as all three of his posts have been in previous SW birthday threads.

yes, roger has a track record of kindness and good humor in response to my annual plea. i continue to appreciate that.

peace.

--sw

Sorry about that, Willie. I wasn't aware that this was an annual tradition on this forum.

Best of luck with your quest.

I just want to say that if the cad Roger REFUSES you again, I MIGHT be persuaded to sell you mine at slightly less than extortionate prices.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/effvxot7u6.jpg

As much as I'd loath to let go of one of his earliest masterpieces, for the right price, I just might be convinced.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I just want to say that if the cad Roger REFUSES you again, I MIGHT be persuaded to sell you mine at slightly less than extortionate prices.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/effvxot7u6.jpg

As much as I'd loath to let go of one of his earliest masterpieces, for the right price, I just might be convinced.

And it fits right in with the TUB concept.....its perfect...

www.danielprine.com

That's not going to work Lug, that's a left-handed version.

I suppose Willie could restring it upside down though...

Cheers

Graham

pfft. Just flip and re-cut the nut and you won't be able to tell the difference.

My Sadowsky would have been a bargain at twice the price. Not everyone feels that way and your mileage may vary. It is tonally idiot proof - and it's not even my primary bass anymore, though I suspect it will be making an appearance at next weeks recording session.

$3500 For a new Sadowsky or $7500 or more for a '63 Jazz Bass that may or may not have the tone. Personally, I'm waiting on a nice blues gig to come along so that I can justify giving the Sadowsky P bass a test drive. Or maybe the the Lull P... :cool:

Roger - you doubled the enjoyment of this thread!!

All the best at 60!!

And it fits right in with the TUB concept.....its perfect...

Brilliant!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Cheers

Graham

pfft. Just flip and re-cut the nut and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Pfft indeed. Take a lefty guitar, flip it and re-cut nut. Then play it. THEN tell me you don't notice a difference, when the knobs start cutting into your arm and you turn down the volume without meaning to...

Cheers

Graham

Pfft indeed. Take a lefty guitar, flip it and re-cut nut. Then play it. THEN tell me you don't notice a difference, when the knobs start cutting into your arm and you turn down the volume without meaning to...

Do you even KNOW who you are dealing with!!!! :mad:

:mad: :mad:

(in real life I play lefty strung righty like Jimmy Haslip of yellow jackets fame and grew up playing flipped righties) :D

Archived