Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Never thought this would happen... (new Gibson bass model)

calypsocoral

... Yes, that's right. Gibson has come out with a bass that actually looks appealing to me!

Apparently, this was introduced at the most recent NAMM show... but I didn't see a mention of it anywhere, not even on Harmony Central. I didn't see it anywhere at Guitar Center either, and they are usually pretty zealous when it comes to Gibson products...

Behold! The Epiphone Thunderbird PRO Bass in its 3 available colors:

http://www.epiphone.com/images/N_TBirdProIntro1.jpg

(Personally, I'm a fan of the Black Stain!)

Specs

Construction: Neck-Thru

Neck Laminates: 7-ply Maple/Walnut

Body Wings: Mahogany

Neck Width @ Nut: 1.50" (like a Jazz Bass)

Fretboard: Rosewood

Pickups: Epiphone T-Pro Active Humbuckers

Electronics: 2-band Active EQ

Hardware: Black

Bridge: Flush-mounted BadAss

As many of you know, I am in the market for an intermediate-level instrument-- considering, among many things, a personal assembly project, and an Ibanez 4-string.

I have always loved the Thunderbird look, but was put off by Gibson's pricing. I had looked at the Epiphone version, but a bolt-on Thunderbird has always seemed somehow wrong to me. Now that Epiphone has made an affordable neck-thru bass, I might seriously consider this one.

It is my understanding that T-birds in general have a lot of neck dive. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why doesn't Gibson doesn't make it's basses in lefty versions?

I'd love to have a T-bird and an EB.

Very pretty, in ny case.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Again - Too much money, not enough strings.

Thanks for nuthin' Gibson.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Whoa, I'd never seen the Mike Lull's Basses, and that seems to me that Gibson stole his design! (the only thing that attracted to me on this particular one).

Ah, no. Gibson has had this design since the 60's.

I still like the traditional sunburst of the original T-birds but the black here looks pretty good. The natural on top looks a little plain to me. The sunburst on the bottom looks pretty good.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Active? Hmm... I confess I'm a dead sucker for Thunderbirds.

So what's the list price gonna be $600-700 US? I think the MSRP is $832. Interesting. Maybe even tempting, but Gibson has dropped the price of the t-bird IV about $700 to $1499. That brings it in line with a Stingray or American Fender. If I were in the market I think I'd rather save a bit more and go for the original. Or save a lot more and go for the Lull...

Oh well, ain't nothing gonna happen this year at least, what with the current state of the economy and my oldest starting college in the fall. Fun to think about though.

Push the button Frank.

Five string T-bird.... droool. I liked the Thunderbird Studio that Gibson came out with a few years ago; but never got to play one. This will have me on constant lookout.

Thanks for the heads-up, Calypso- and for the GAS.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

If you search on here you may find my review of a Gibson T-bird I tried out at the Chicago Blues Festival some time ago. The biggest thing I remember was not liking how hard it was to access the upper frets, but if you never go above 7th then you'll be fine (no money up there anyway, right guys? ;) ).

I considered picking up a used (cheap) Epi just to match my Mandobird. But then I needed a 5er and getting another 4-string didn't make any sense. (I see there is a 5er in the pic. Is this the first time they've made 5er T-birds?) $832 MSRP? That's quite a bit more than two Franklins.

Interestingly-enough, I have yet to see an American website carry this instrument. I have only found this instrument on British online music stores. The price, after converting from Pounds to Dollars, works out to about $585.00

This price is still well below the Gibson, with the added benefit of a nicer bridge (I've heard little good about the 3-axis Gibson bridges), active electronics, and a faster neck.

If I were in the market I think I'd rather save a bit more and go for the original. Or save a lot more and go for the Lull...

Uh, dude... Lull basses frequently sell for the same prices as Custom Shop Fenders ($2-3K).

MSRP for the T-bass is $4649.00. For me that's a lot more than the $832.00 for the Epi.

Push the button Frank.

• 3 weeks later...
I played a T-bird for about 5 years. A Gibson T-bird. They sound KILLER. However, as someone stated above, you have no access to anything past the 12th fret. I had no problems with neck dive. My main problem was that it was just uncomfortable to play, the body had no curves, and I couldn't find a comfortable plucking position for fingerstyle picking. Never tried it with a pick. It just felt .....off, I guess.
These go to 11.

Hi jb350,

One of the features that attracted me to this particular model (aside from the killer black stain and active electronics) is the OEM Badass bridge-- none of that old-school Gibson 3-bolt stuff.

I can certainly agree with you that it doesn't look like something designed to be a bass-- more like a converted guitar.

But, as the T-bird is one of those true classic designs, I kinda feel obligated to have one in my collection. And, given the variations of T-birds out there, from the original Gibson to the Dean Demonator, these Epiphones are the most attractive offering, at least in my humble opinion.

I don't know why, but, for some reason, the T-bird is something that comes to mind when I think of Southern Rock and Doom Metal... *shrug*

Archived