Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

broken URB strings, drunk drummer, primus tribute, fish pics

Here I sit needing another cup of sweet caffeinated New England liquid crack after an extremely late, late night. Last night the drummer and g****rist from CC and myself did a Primus tribute in Salem. Pictured below is the arsenal I brought. It was a great time! Good crowd, the two other bands were sick, and the last song the band before us played was Sabbath's "Children of the Grave"! Way to get fired up! We called the tribute "Year of the Bastard". We had about 4 practices before the show and somehow still pulled it off. We even had some friends from other bands come up and sing a couple tunes.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/KAL82TTT/basses2.jpg

Loading out...my drummer putting something in the truck "lost his balance"...ok I was f*ckin* with him, and he caught himself on the URB laying next to him. SNAP go the G and D. Serves me right. It's been over a year, now I really have an excuse to try new strings! Any recommendations lol?

The set we did was classic Primus, kicked it off with the URB.

Seas of Cheese

Here Come the Bastards

To Defy the Laws of Tradition

Ground Hog's Day

Too Many Puppies

Jerry Was a Race Car Driver

Mr. Krinkle

Grandad's Little Ditty

Tommy the Cat

Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Killer set list Cappin'.

Takes balls (and talent) to pull off Tommy The Cat - I know first hand.

I still sing Grandads Little Diddy in the shower.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Great setlist. Which version of Tommy the cat did you do, the electric or URB version. Either way you've got my respect. That's a tough song to pull off. Well for me it is.

If you haven't heard the urb version here it is...

It's pretty darn cool!!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

If you haven't heard the urb version here it is...

It's pretty darn cool!!

Cool? That is quite possibly the worst upright playing I've heard in a while. And I just spent 90 minutes in thumb position :whistle:

Cool? That is quite possibly the worst upright playing I've heard in a while. And I just spent 90 minutes in thumb position :whistle:

Well maybe not the best technique but we're not talking Charles Mingus here. Claypool is mostly known for his electric bass playing but I thought it was a cool interpretation of his song.

Davo count me in i'm another one that doesn't like it.

But I praise les for his technique.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

we did the "seas of cheese" version on Tommy the Cat.

Primus and Les' work in general is an acquired taste. The dude is the reason I picked up the bass 15 years ago. Growing up as a child of the 80's I wanted to be a shredder. When I saw Primus at Woodstock'94 on Mtv I became a slapper and had a bass the very next week.

I have paid a little homage here on my right arm. Davio has already called me a dork for this but I say this is the best free tattoo I ever got!

Fearless Flying Frog Brigade!

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/KAL82TTT/frogbrigade.jpg

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

I have to say that Les and Primus hit something right on the head for me. But I also enjoy raw octopus at 2am.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Primus is an aquired taste and generally I'm not a big fan of some of Les's songs as they can be pretty way out. I do admire his ability and appreciate his sense of humor. There are a few of his songs that I really like such as Tommy the Cat and Hamburger Train for example.

I suppose it is the song/lyric delivery that I don't understand. It's delivered in an ironic/derisory manner that's either amusing/meaningful or completely misses the target. For me it is the latter.

Notice, I'm not dissing him or the band; all I am saying is I don't like them.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Notice, I'm not dissing him or the band; all I am saying is I don't like them.

notice I didn't rebut that some aren't fans.

and before someone else says it....you're a rebut!

www.captaincutthroat.com

Am I the only person that doesn't like Primus?

Davo

I'm also not a big Primus fan... I saw the dudes back in 1990 (or '89) when the only thing they had out was Suck On This. Tad was the opener on that tour.

Primus was exciting to watch, and Les was a riveting performer. He's a pretty skilled dude.

The songs, however, always seemed to be excuses to be weird for the sake of being weird and quirky for the sake of being quirky... and very much about showing off this crazy bassist's mad skillz. I got bored with the schtick after a while.

It ultimately always comes down to the songs for me.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived