Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's watch Prince do a little ditty.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, real nice(the riffing, not the acting). Although nobody should be surprized really.

Hey, did anyone catch his 2 part interview with Tavis Smiley a couple weeks back? Pretty revealing, musically and otherwise.

TROLL . . . ish.

I've been a Prince fan since "1999" (the album, which was well before the year), and I've always found his piano playing... interesting. Which is to say, sometimes it's incredible, and sometimes it leaves me wondering what he's thinking. Back in the day I had a bootleg of him playing solo piano (at home or in the studio, not a gig), and despite sounding like a 6th-generation cassette, it was smokin' -- really solid grooves, some harmonically interesting bits, enough chops to know he had 'em. But then I've heard concert recordings where he was playing with his band in front of tens of thousands of people, and he sounded absolutely amateurish on the piano. Of course, no one even accused the guy of being normal or predictable.

He played a lot of nice Rhodes on his album "The Rainbow Children," which is musically excellent if you can ignore all the heavy lyrical proselytizing. And not long after that he released a mostly-solo-piano and vocal CD called (I think) "One Night Alone," which is well worth hearing.

Prince is one of those folks that can play just about anything he has heard. On keys, his internal editor isn't so good though. He can be anywhere from incoherent to pretty good to beating two chords into the ground.

Now that I think about it. . .that's kinda like my playing. :)

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Prince is one of those folks that can play just about anything he has heard. On keys, his internal editor isn't so good though. He can be anywhere from incoherent to pretty good to beating two chords into the ground.

Now that I think about it. . .that's kinda like my playing. :)

Well okay.But Prince wrote "The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker"!

Archived