Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wayman Tisdale - R.I P.

57pbass

From the MSN Website -

Wayman Tisdale, a 12-year NBA veteran and Oklahoma University's all-time leading scorer and rebounder, has died after a two-year battle with cancer. He was 44.

A noted musician, Tisdale played at a charity event during the All-Star weekend in February. (David Sherman / Getty Images)

Tisdale was selected No. 2 overall in the 1985 NBA draft, behind only Patrick Ewing. He played four seasons in Indiana, five in Sacramento and four in Phoenix.

Tisdale first learned he had a cancerous cyst below his right knee after he broke his leg in a fall at his home in Los Angeles in 2007. His leg was amputated last August, but he had made several public appearances since.

During and after his playing career, Tisdale was a talented jazz bass guitarist. He released his first album in 1995 when he was a member of the Suns.

Tisdale is survived by his wife, Regina, and their four children.

I saw him perform at Bass Day in NYC a few years ago..he was playing a Tobias through a GK stack.

He was playing along with tracks and was interviewed by Chris Jisi.. he sounded great and gave a great interview...

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a shame. Well, I guess in addition to joining heaven's house band, he's also a first-teamer on the All-Heaven basketball squad. I hope he and Kevin Duckworth are having a nice shootaround up there.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I just heard about Wayman's passing on the evening news. They interviewed a former high school coach and Billy Tubbs, his coach while he played at OU. The high school coach said Wayman was a better person than he was a ball player, then they recounted his record at OU and he was definitely no slouch on the court.

I had the pleasure of seeing him play a concert a few years ago. He seemed like a gracious man who enjoyed being able to give to the community. His presence will be missed around Tulsa.

- Matt W.

Archived