Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT - Place Your Bets - 135th Kentucky Derby

57pbass

I work with Jerome Keel..this is published in The NY Observer..he has been pretty accurate in the past

The 135th Kentucky Derby

JEROME A. KEEL

On Saturday afternoon shortly after six oclock the starter will spring the latch to send the field of twenty on their way in the 135th Kentucky Derby.

One majestic thoroughbred will take several thousand racing fans on a ride of a lifetime in route to winning the Kentucky Derby!

Lets take a look closer at who I think are the contenders.

# 11- Chocolate Candy:

Ran third to Pioneerof The Nile. Hes an improving colt. Mike Smith in the saddle. He knows how to win the big one. Will be a nice price on Derby day. Use in exotics.

# 19- Desert Party:

One of two colts from the Godolphin stable. Was beaten by stable mate regal Ransom. In the UAE Derby. Has had some good works at Churchill Downs. His stable-mate Regal Ransom should make sure of a good early pace in the race.

# 15- Dunkirk:

Lost his jockey Gomez when he went to ride Pioneerof the Nile. He will have Edgar Prado in the saddle. With no racing as a two-year old. Hell have to be a super horse to win this race, but this colt can hit the board. He will be heard from down the road, in other big races.

# 6- Friesan Fire:

Has done nothing but win. He will be coming off a seven-week layoff. Has been training well. The question about him going a Mile and a quarter will be answered. He has never run farther then a mile and a sixteenth.

# 13- I Want revenge:

Has been beaten by Pioneerof The Nile on the west coast but has turned into a monster when shipped to the east coast to run on dirt. In my thirty-seven years of following horses I have never seen. A performance like the one He put together in the Wood Memorial. Will he be able to put together three great performances in a row? I want Revenge and Pioneerof The Nile could become one of the great rivalries in racing.

# 3- Mr. Hot Stuff:

Is an improving colt? Will be closing in the lane. Hes a full brother to Colonel John. Use in exotics.

# 7- Papa Clem:

Ran good race in first dirt start. Should be in the early mix. Has finished first or second in four races around two turns.

# 16- Pioneerof The Nile:

This colt has been my top pick since the beginning of my reports. Has not lost a race since be taken over by Bob Baffert. Hes won four stakes races. I think Nile will run that same kind of race I Want Revenge ran in his first race on dirt .The Derby should set up perfectly for him. He will get a good pace to close into. Hes the type of colt that has an attitude I refuse to lose. Garret Gomez is sticking.

And now we come to my selections for the 135th Kentucky derby.

# 16 - Pioneerof The Nile

# 13 - I Want revenge

# 11 - Chocolate Candy

# 15 Dunkirk

Good luck and safe trips to all the horses and jockeys.

See you at the windows.

April 30, 2009

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article I read in the Tulsa World, which was probably an AP article, mentioned that the new era of artificial track surfaces adds another variable to handicapping.

I'll do the same as always, keep my money safe and watch the race if time allows. For some reason this 2 minutes of TV is far more satisfying than any NASCAR event, the SuperBowl, or the Final Four.

- Matt W.

I know as much about horse racing as I do about needlepoint, but I do watch the Triple Crown races and do enjoy the occasional trip to Monmouth Park. I usually pick like a woman, using names and hunches. I'll say :

Win - Dunkirk

Place - General Quarters

Show - I Want Revenge (If it was She Wants Revenge I'd bet him to win)

As a side note, my personal favorite sporting event of the year is and has always been the Indianapolis 500. My dog (see avatar) is named Indy.

Push the button Frank.

I know as much about horse racing as I do about needlepoint, but I do watch the Triple Crown races and do enjoy the occasional trip to Monmouth Park. I usually pick like a woman, using names and hunches. I'll say :

Win - Dunkirk

Place - General Quarters

Show - I Want Revenge (If it was She Wants Revenge I'd bet him to win)

As a side note, my personal favorite sporting event of the year is and has always been the Indianapolis 500. My dog (see avatar) is named Indy.

Ken I am also a big fan of General Quarters....DP

www.danielprine.com

I'll take "11- Chocolate Candy" because when I read it really fast I mistakenly thought he was called "Chocolate City".

After a couple drinks and with my glasses off I Want Revenge looks like Vanilla Suburbs.

- Matt W.

I don't do the ponies like I use to, but I love a good race.

I had my friend in Vegas place a bet for me; Papa Klem to win. I am wondering what the odds are going to end up at.

Papa Clem @ 20 - 1 That would amount to a very nice payday..

www.danielprine.com

DP, how's your brother doing with the horses this year? Isn't he in the biz?

Peace.

--SW

Hi Will, He is still training and had a few races over the winter at The Big A. They are now racing at Belmont Park and he might have two horses racing next weekend...they are usually the longshots but he finished third a few weeks ago..and he has a new group of horses due this spring so it should be fun.. it a tough business..long hours and loads of money to maintain the horses.. DP

www.danielprine.com

Geez, busy at work all day today - I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to make my bet...

Of course, with my luck, I'd bet on the morning line favorite and he'll get scratched before the race.

;)

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

50:1 odds on the winner. Why couldn't I have put a little money on that dark horse. What a speed demon!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

A $9500 horse, driven from El Paso to Louisville in a horse trailer pulled by a van, not only runs last-to-first and comes in at 50:1 but annihilates the field by six lengths.

EPIC WIN. :rawk:

And this is why I do not bet money on anything, ever. Sure wish I'd put last week's paycheck on the superfecta, though, but hindsight is 20/20 - and fifty to one.

I like Calvin Borel's Louisiana accent, too. :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

The really amazing stat is the the jockey Calvin Borel won both the male and the female version of the 2009 Kentucky Derby.

On Friday he won the Kentucky Oaks by 20 lengths on a horse names Rachel Alexander...

rumor has is that that fillie - Rachel Alexander will compete in the Preakness and The Belmont Stakes against the boys...those races should be great events ..a few of the big horses that scratched out of The Kentucky Derby might be running...

Superfecta paid $554,000.00 on a 2 dollar bet....you know how much gear I can buy with that.....

www.danielprine.com

I hope this horse wins the second leg of the Triple Crown..

The Belmont Stakes would be an all time classic...

and we can have a great NY LD get together....

www.danielprine.com

On a side note..my brother Dave is a professional horse trainer and runs horses at the NY tracks year round. At present he is training a horse named "Pappys Double H" who is the brother of "Mine That Bird"..the winner of the Kentucky Derby.

He maiden race will be in about three to 4 weeks...he is looking for a jockey for the mount..and I suggested that he use Calvin Borel... I will post up when this horse runs ...

www.danielprine.com

Archived