Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virus Protection ?

We have a Dell computer with Windows 98 Second Edition. The original installed virus protection (McAfee Virus Scan 4.0) was lost when our computer crashed in December. We just realized yesterday that it was missing. Anyone have any suggestions on what virus protection to get? Are any of the free programs sufficient for a small home setup like ours? Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Norton works well for me. But I have also installed a second hard drive on my computer, a 10 G for internet use, and a 60 G for music programs, and keep the 60G isolated from the net.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I'll have to third the Norton. Symantec products tend to work. I do like the idea of isolating a drive from the net.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I too have had good luck with AVG. The only thing with it is they install a blurb in email that you send out stating the mail is checked by their virus scan. Also, according to some reports, their updates can be somewhat behind where they should be. I've personally been very happy with their protection. The only virus I've received since starting to use them well over a year ago was that blaster worm that hit all the NT format computers & I've not heard of ANYONE who had their protection catch that worm. It hit before there was a chance to have a fix. I NEVER got one on my system when I was running Win98 or Win ME. There is a thread on this that has a link for a report as to who has the best virus scan. It's probably a half a dozen pages down the line. Do a search virus & you should find it.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I would also recommed getting some sort of personal firewall these days due to the rise of port scanning and viruses using means other than file attchments and e-mail. This is a necessity if you use braodband and cable modems. Mark Borland
Growing old is inevitable....Growing up is optional !

4 1/2 years of using a computer heavily. I have NEVER got a virus. I have NEVER ran anti virus software. The trick? I keep my NT machines up to date with the latest hot patches and service packs. Also, and this is the main reason why I don't get viruses: I DON'T OPEN ATTACHMENTS UNLESS THE PERSON SENDING THEM EMAILS AHEAD OF TIME TO INFORM ME OF WHAT THEY ARE SENDING, AND WHAT THE FILE SIZE IS!!!! Yes, I have turned down legitimate attachments. But usually, when I see that the ARE in fact from somebody I know, I email them back asking what it was and explain to them that I WON'T open ANY attachment unless they email ahead to inform me of what they are sending and the file size. It is the BEST virus protection I have found!!! For 4 1/2 years, not a single virus. :D Most email clients also have a way for you to not allow attachments. This can work quite well too. I set up a hotmail account, and will sometimes just have people send "iffy" stuff there and let MS scan it for me. :) Even then, I won't open it if it was not announced before hand by the sender that they are sending me an attachment. Now, that Blaster thing made me feel lucky that I currently run a 2000 box instead of XP. 2000 had a critical update that fixed the vulnerability 3 weeks before the Blaster thing started up. Made me wonder why XP didn't have an update then too!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Anyway. I have a up to date version of AVG that I run every once in a while just to make sure. It has never found anything (except the "viruses" that I intentionally put on the drives to verify that it is working). 4 1/2 with no viruses. :D Few that run Nortor or McAfee software can claim that! ;) Ed

Thanks everyone !! My wife and I just got DSL so we could free up the house phone. Getting everything to work right involved a couple of long days waiting on the phone to talk to support for which there was a fee. Christopher you said it right.... COMPUTERS SUCK :D Anyway in the process of all this we discovered that we didn't have any form of virus protection. And coincidentally there has been a lot in the headlines lately about different viruses and what not. Are older computers and operating systems any more or less vulnerable to these worms or viruses or whatever? Thanks again

Not opening attachments is a good plan, as I rarily do, but a few weeks ago I found I had 12 infected file using the Norton AV scanning software. I also downloaded the removal tool as was back in good shape in no time. I have no clue how the viruses got on my machine, but Norton got them off. I still like having my music software completely isolated from the net, on a second hard drive.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Really.... never ever open an attachment from an unknown source. I think you could use a Linux computer like [url=http://www.ultramesh.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=2]THIS[/url] , as your connection/firewall to the the internet and then network your DAW to that if necessary. That's a wireless AP but you can get that without the Wi-fi if you don't need it. You need it.

Archived