Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official New England Sticky-Fingered BBQ Bassfest

davio

No chowdah at the Ribshack. If your daughter doesn't like pork,like my daughter, get her the BBQ chicken. The Ribshack as of last week won several awards. Best BBQ in the state, and the hottest bartender in Manchester. Will Leah work that day, is anyones guess. A few others as well. They do have smores at your table,,yes it has hershey candy bar, graham crackers, marshmellows and a flame to heat them with. Sometimes they have Bacon ice cream, I never tried it. YUM.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, we use the West Coast pronunciation which is, in fact, "chowder."

Which is not real chowder. :)

Oh, I beg to differ. It's "chowder" - but I have no doubt it isn't "chowdah".

Whatever it is, that's what you are.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

That's a long wait for lunch.

:P

I'm still hoping for a NYC-area person to join me, but it looks like I'm fully cleared to make the trip.

I told my daughter not to feel obligated to make the drive up to NH - I could stop by and buy her dinner. Her response? "It's pulled pork, dad." So I guess the chances of her coming are pretty good.

Tom

Hope it works out! We'd love the company!

Sometimes they have Bacon ice cream, I never tried it. YUM.

Ohhhh man. I'm so there it hurts. That sounds like something one of the local ice cream shoppes (take that Phil W) would have in their monthly specials.

+ wicked pissah 1

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

+ wicked pissah 1

+1 to you for that last comment sir!

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

Just trying to keep this in the top page or two for anyone who needs the reminder or might not have seen it yet since we're only two weeks away and I can smell the BBQ already...

As a reminder, I'm offering a ride from Boston to Manchester and back for whoever wants/needs one. I can pick somebody up outside of Boston (within reason) if necessary.

I'm still thinking yes, though none of my "local" friends will be joining me. Not sure quite what I'll do to stay awake on the way home, but I'll think of something....

How many are coming so far? Did somebody talk to Maisie?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I've been trying to get a hold of her for a few weeks now. She hasn't been on line but I called her dad and he said to send him an email and he'd forward it to her (which I did) but I still haven't gotten a reply. Maybe I'll try MyFace if I remember to get online when I get home.

As far as I know it's just the 8 of us that kicked things off plus you, Tom. I'd love to have more people, but I'm sure it'll be a great time with just us as well.

Not sure quite what I'll do to stay awake on the way home, but I'll think of something....

Coffee, energy drinks and really loud, screamy music has worked wonders for me in the past. Have you considered crashing at your daughter's? I can offer a couch but the gf's little bro will be inhabiting the second sofa that night.

So it's about 8 days from this event.

I see we have the room, bassists, and a plan for food. My daughter is increasingly interested in pulled pork, and may be bringing a friend.

It looks like I'll be loading up and bringing everything bass that I have. You should do the same (especially with basses).

I've been at a number of these bass meetings. When it's a room full of players and equipment, it's a lot of fun. I've also done this with a drummer, and that can be fun. I've even seen the bassists sit in on drums (some of us can actually keep a beat). Is a drummer available who would be willing to sit quietly while we're gawking at amps and gushing at basses, but play along when 3-4 of us get started jamming?

And sometimes I've played with a guitarist - one who is flexible, can at least fake many styles, willing to play with lead bassists (you'd be surprised how inspired you can get). I'd volunteer to bring these people, but it's a bit too much of a trip.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

If you have a decent camera, please bring it (my photo skills are not good). Video?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I've even seen the bassists sit in on drums...

I don't really need to make a joke do I?

I've got a camera but the more we have the more likely we'll be to get some good pics.

I might be able to get another bass player to come along but I haven't gotten a response from him yet. There might be SOME tiny chance I can find a guitar player but I can't promise anything. Kevin said something about his drummer might be down.

I'm so in! For a while I was concerned I might have a gig with my new band, but that turns out not to be the case. Don't know how much gear I'll bring, one bass anyway; I might not schlep an amp unless we're planning on doing a multi-bass cover of Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom..."

Not sure quite what I'll do to stay awake on the way home, but I'll think of something...
Drink lots of water during the trip. Hard to fall asleep when you have to pee really, really, REALLY badly...

Can nobody put Tom and his daughter up? Or at least his daughter? :D:D:D

Can nobody put Tom and his daughter up? Or at least his daughter? :D:D:D

My daughter is far too tough and competent for any of you - no worries there.

I've recently been thinking that I may visit another friend nearby, or make other arrangements. My wife just said today that maybe I should stay at a hotel. I have some Marriott points on file....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Have you considered crashing at your daughter's?

It's only about an hour from the restaurant so you can sleep off the bubble belly and return refreshed the next day at your leisure.

My daughter is far too tough and competent for any of you - no worries there.

...and as the only one brilliant, charming and handsome enough, I'm already spoken for. ;)

Well, Chad and Brocko have pooned out on us but that's ok...we'll send some pics to rub in what they missed.

Onward to pick up Kevin, lay down sweet sweet gruuves and indulge in some BBQ bubble belly!

Well, Chad and Brocko have pooned out on us but that's ok...we'll send some pics to rub in what they missed.

Onward to pick up Kevin, lay down sweet sweet gruuves and indulge in some BBQ bubble belly!

Poon this.

Have fun! :(

Home again, home again, jiggity jig.

Tons o' fun.

As sweet as it was to try everybody else's gear, I had the overwhelming urge to just sit and talk for most of the time. That and my fingers and mind just weren't moving in muscal ways today after not playing at all for the last week or two. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

I'll try to put some info together for the eventual posting of gear pr0n.

For now I'm going to wallow in my own disgustingness and try to recouperate from Cardiac Sam:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G006.jpg

Hello All!

First, I was disappointed that we missed meeting Chad and Brocko (jcadmus, I should have picked you up along the way). Hopefully next time. I love meeting LowDowners. Which is why Saturday was such fun. We had Jim (mro), Kirk (Jim's bass-player friend), Davio, Kevin (CaptainCutthroat), and myself.

First, that food picture is a small view of the outstandingly delicious BBQ that we had. My daughter Marie and her friend Shannon came up for the food and were not disappointed. Top shelf eating at a very comfortable place.

Davio, I know what you mean about the talking. I was somewhat tired from the driving, but I could have hung out for hours more just because you guys are pretty cool. For example, Kevin started talking about the agricultural HS he attended, and it was very interesting hearing about his early life.

That said, I'll do the obligatory gear stuff. We didn't swap heads and cabs, but did plug basses into whatever rig was open. There were some very fine rigs and instruments, with a large sampling of red basses (see the asterisks). It went something like this:

Kirk

Spector Euro 5 (natural) special model, fancy inlays, etc.

*Spector Euro 5

Variax 5 ($400 blowout from Musiciansfriend)

Squire fretless 4

Eden 400

Eden 4x10 (XLT? Kirk wasn't sure)

Rocktron Utopia B200 pedal

Jim

Eden 550

SWR Goliath JR III (2x10+horn)

Peavey Cirrus 4

Warmoth body/Status neck (sweet)

Kevin

Ampeg SVT III

Ampeg 4x10 classic

ESP LTD C-305 (natural wood finish)

Carvin Bunny Brunnell 5 (natural wood finish)

Davio

Bassman head

AccuGroove tri-12

Fender Jazz 5 (MIM)

*Ibanez BTB 5

Epiphone 4 fretless

Pedalboard

Tom (me)

EA iAmp500

Berg 12s (HT with horn, EX without)

*Kinal SK5B

Fender BenLoy

*Gibson EB3

Mauryboard with SansAmp, TU12 (tuner), Mutator mic switch (custom made by Cohizzle Enterprises)

(all corrections welcome)

My Comments:

• Kirk's Euro special had the most powerful output I've ever heard. It was easily 3-4 times louder than any other bass. It may have blown speakers in two cabs it was so frighteningly loud.
  • Both of the Euros were smooth to play, but the "regular" red one felt nicer to me. The Spector neck profile is a bit chunkier than I usually prefer, but the red one was nice.
  • Jim's basses were great. The Cirrus felt great and sounded solid. The bass he recently put together (Warmoth body, Status neck) seemed like it needed a boost somehow (low output), but the body was fairly light and comfortable. The neck was awesome - a joy to play.
  • Kevin's Carvin (BB) was quite smooth as well. I remembered liking the Carvin neck, and the BB body is comfortable. I liked it very much.
  • All of the rigs sounded good - from Kevin's abused Ampeg to the AccuGroove. That said, I still like my Bergs best.
  • We all had fun with the Variax, but Davio found a setting where the notes changed randomly when you held the string muted and tapped it. He also treated us to synth-versions of the Mario game theme.

My daughter came in time to watch us position all of the "toys" for the picture and had a nice laugh at our (geeky) expense. Note that Kirk's Euro "special" was too special to leave it's case for the "group photo".

Thanks again to all for coming.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

The only ammendments I can make to the list is that my BTB is a 4. The Bassman is a 400 if you want to add that.

Now for the gratuitous gear pr0n (see Tom's list for info):

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G001.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G002.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G003.jpg

The dudes, from left: davio (me), Madball-sans-slideychair Capasso, James (mro), Kevin (CaptainCutthroat), Kirk (James's friend):

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G004.jpg

Trying to look like badasses. We're total badasses:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G005.jpg

Across the table:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G007.jpg

BFFs...I mean, dudebros that are totally manly:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G008.jpg

Kevin comparing his drink (left...he had two in preparation for the Bruins (who?) game) to mine (right...I was driving):

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G009.jpg

Group shot thanks to the waiter (Tom's daughter Marie, left, and her friend Shannon, right):

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/NE%20G2G/NEG2G010.jpg

Well, if I'd been there my gear list would have read:

homemade lefty J-Bass

homemade lefty P-Bass

Dean lefty Edge 5

POS Peavey 200w keyboard amp (Sorry, my Hartke rig doesn't go out unless there's money to be made...)

Have we ever seen a picture of Kevin when he's not drunk?

Well, it looks like a great time and I'm sorry I missed it. Tom and I have communicated via this board since 2001, and I really am sorry not to have been able to meet him in person.

My wife's family is from the Boston area, and I'm hoping the next tim we get down that way I might be able to hook up with a couple of you local guys?

Well those basses wouldn't have done the rest of us much good! Actually, I love tryign to play weird instruments so trying to play a lefty the right way only makes sense. :D

Still would've loved to have you and the others wusses there. ;)

Have we ever seen a picture of Kevin when he's not drunk?

You don't understand, Kevin's a big guy and young with most of his liver still intact. I don't think he was drunk yet. :)

My wife's family is from the Boston area, and I'm hoping the next tim we get down that way I might be able to hook up with a couple of you local guys?

Most assuredly.

Well those basses wouldn't have done the rest of us much good! Actually, I love tryign to play weird instruments so trying to play a lefty the right way only makes sense.
Um, yeah... Important to get things right... ;)

My wife's family is from the Boston area, and I'm hoping the next time we get down that way I might be able to hook up with a couple of you local guys?

Most assuredly.

Cool. I was thinking maybe Johnny D's at the Sunday afternoon jam sometime?

Archived