Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio WK-3000 for organ sounds?

shniggens

I've heard good reviews about the organ tones on this cheapie.

I'm considering picking one up from Craigslist just so I can add a decent organ board without breaking the bank.

My Alesis board just ain't cutting it.

Anyone have experience with the Casio?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one and use it for organ. My WK3000 sounds better on organ sounds than most if not all of the keyboards i have found on the floor of samash,guitar center ect. I think most club audience members would think it sounds good. I have recorded with it as well. The recordings sound good and do the job as long as you are not trying to pass the sound off as "sounds identical to a B3". I am getting serious enough about playing that i'm ready to step up to an XK1 or XK3c, but untill that time i will enjoy recording and gigging with my mighty Casio.

PS. I doubt anyone else here will stand up for this keyboard. Its a pretty tough crowd here.

FunMachine.

shniggens,

While you are on craigslist, keep you eyes open for a Voce organ module. You might be able to find a MicroB for pretty cheap, and you can control it with your Casio. I gigged with a MicroB for several years, not too shabby. Good luck.

Regards,

Joe

I had a CTK-691 for a while a few years ago, which has the identical sound engine. The organs do sound good, however they are not up to the standard of a modern clonewheel. They have done a nice job of emulating the hammond, with percussion decay and most of the basic features (including tonewheel foldback I think). With only 4 levels for each tonewheel (one of which is OFF) you can only approximate some registrations. I think it uses pure sine waves, so the organ sounds are very clean unless you dirty them up with effects. I don't think the rotary effect includes any speaker tone emulation, which is important for getting an authentic sound. Connected to a real rotary speaker you would probably fool a lot of people. Overall it is fun to play and to learn, but if you need a really good hammond sound you'll need something better.

Great job Casio for getting this working on such a cheap and basic keyboard. Bad job for everyone else for not doing the same on much more expensive keyboards that could easily do it.

Michael

I have had a WK3700 for the past four years or so. Excellent board. I use it primarily for pianos, electric pianos, strings and other sounds. I have used the organ sounds in a pinch when my Hammond cut out during a gig or was in the shop. It handles itself well in a pinch. The sounds are decent though they can be bit tinny....if you ran it through it mixer you could fix it up a bit by boosting the mids and lows and cutting the highs some.

The modulation wheel on the 3700 and 3800 serves as a "leslie" controller...at slow speed it isn't great (kind of thin sounding), but at fast speed it is better. Some of the patches are very good such a the jazz organs that have some nice percussions. The thicker the sound though, the weaker I think they tend to be...especially full drawbars.

I do think that Casio has the makings in this sound engine of a reasonably priced clone.....take the small buttons out and make them real drawbars and improve on the Leslie sound and it could be an entry market contender.

The 3700 has been worth every dime I have paid for it and more. It has surprised many other musicians expecting it to be something other than a Casio. It is an excellent board as are those in the same family like the WK 3000, 3500, 3800 and the CTK900 (the 61 key version of the WK).

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Keep in mind you're getting what you pay for. Casio had some serious issues with the WK series crapping out. Many of the units out there are reconditioned due to the problems they had. I have some clients who have had issues with these in the past and when I did some investigating I found their issues weren't unique to them.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Archived