Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We are going to play Freebird

Ross Brown

I saw The Outlaws at BB Kings in NYC last month.

With both Huey Thomason and Billy Jones dead, what pack of vultures are daring to call themselves "The Outlaws"?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw The Outlaws at BB Kings in NYC last month.

With both Huey Thomason and Billy Jones dead, what pack of vultures are daring to call themselves "The Outlaws"?

The same could be said of the current incarnation of Lynyrd Skynyrd. With Ronnie, Steve, Allen, Leon, and Billy dead.......

And this from one of the most rabid Skynyrd fans on the planet. I grew up listening to Skynyrd, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, and the Outlaws. I was privileged to be able to play in a bar band with Artimus Pyle in my late teens and early twenties. Then some band he used to play for did some reunion tour......

Play the song. Play it with joy. Play it with enthusiasm. Play it with reverence. It's still well-loved in spite of itself.

BTW, my favorite Skynyrd songs to play were "Call Me The Breeze", "T for Texas", and "Saturday Night Special". We were good at these songs. We played "Breeze" for a sound check at a bar in Murfreesboro, TN once. The owner pitched a fit because he "was paying us to play live music, not pantomime to a recording". The only way we could convince him we were really playing was to let him turn of any amp he wanted to while we played. Ah, to be young again.........

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

I had to listen to Freebird on YouTube to remind me how it went, it's so rarely played in the UK.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Alright then - Henry Paul, Monte Yoho and four other guys...

That would be like Paul & Ringo getting two guitarists and calling themselves the Beatles. Without Huey and Billy's lead playing, it ain't the same band. Sad they have to do that. I guess Henry and Monte need the bux...

It's an absolute standard in the US. On a par with Stairway.

I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but if a classic rock band in Belgium plays Skynyrd, it usually does "Sweet Home Alabama". As for Deep Purple, it's "Smoke On The Water" and "Black Night" mostly, but this forum has taught me that "Smoke" is a big no no in the US ?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

That would be like Paul & Ringo getting two guitarists and calling themselves the Beatles. Without Huey and Billy's lead playing, it ain't the same band. Sad they have to do that. I guess Henry and Monte need the bux...

Then don't bother to see The Temptations when they come to town.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It's an absolute standard in the US. On a par with Stairway.

Oh yeah, but I'd prefer to play "Freebird".

I remember reading a news article about the a performance by the band Modest Mouse, an audience member shouted "Freebird", and the lead singer goes off on some tirade about not playing someone else's songs, they were there own band, etc. Funny, but kind of pretentious at the same time. I mean, who the hell is Modest Mouse in comparison to Skynyrd?

Personally, I think any band, up to and including symphony orchestra, should have that song down cold, and ready to whip out the first time some dumb-ass in the crowd starts calling for it. Play the opening, cut to the chase and finish big, it immediately proves that your group has the chops, and is a polite "F#@$ You" to the dumb ass who called for it.

On a related note, if a band goes on tour after the death of key players, I don't mind if they use the originl name, it tells me who they are, and what kind of music I am going to hear. Just play it well.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

okay, first of all, regardless if the song goes on stage or not, ANY band playing heavy music needs to learn Simple Man. that is angry feel in an effing nutshell. gimme 3 steps is awesome as well (i LOVELOVELOVE self-deprication in c@#k rock).

on a slightly more related note, i once played a show at the Continental with a pop-core band and some drunk swedish dude kept heckling me. part of his rant was to keep yelling "Freebird!" at the top of his lungs between songs. i tried to reply from the stage as best i could but he kept getting worse. the fight after the show was not pretty and he did not come out on the better side of it. shortly thereafter there was a sign ung in the club reading "do not shout out 'Freebird' as a request." just sayin.

also, on the Freebird request thing, the same band did a 45 second hardcore arrangement for just that occasion. it was TONS o fun.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Then don't bother to see The Temptations when they come to town.

Tom

No problem, Tom. Without David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams, and the Funk Brothers, The Temptations are nothing but a high-priced cover band with choreography & costumes. In any event I couldn't afford the tickets, even if I wanted to see a bunch of dudes sing "My Girl" who mostly hadn't even been born when it was a hit.

Archived