Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We are going to play Freebird

Ross Brown

We are going to do it! :freak:It has been sort of a running joke with our recurring followers... they always ask for Freebird. They know we aren't going to play it.

A couple of weeks ago our guitarist sent me an e mail suggesting we give it a try (he played it for years, years ago and up until now had no interest in playing it again).

We have run through it twice now. Instrumentaly, we are bass, drums and guitar. We laughed because it actually sounded very good. :rawk:

I find it rewarding that the three of us can fill some of the songs that we play musically. I wonder if I were to play with a band that had more instruments (guitars) would I even enjoy it. Would I have to back off or would it give me a chance to do different things with the bass lines. I am busy now with the basslines I play and I enjoy that. Our guitarist is incredible in the way he can play a lead and also fill. It is like he is playing two different parts.

So much for todays ramblings....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://binrock.net/permanent/2006/0102_christmas_present/stewie_banjo_md.png

How deliciously white trash!

Mommy, I want a mullet!

Dude. "Saturday Night Special." For reals. I will put a $20 in your tip bucket and wear The Hat for this.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

http://binrock.net/permanent/2006/0102_christmas_present/stewie_banjo_md.png

How deliciously white trash!

Mommy, I want a mullet!

Dude. "Saturday Night Special." For reals. I will put a $20 in your tip bucket and wear The Hat for this.

I'll let you know when it is ready....

I am tired of the these songs but everytime we play them the dance floor fills up. Then I am not tired of them anymore.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I have to confess, we play it too. We're a three piece too and we've shortened the song it a bit also. It's actually a fun song to play. I've sort of added a fun twist by finger picking the beginning folk guitar style doubling as the rhythm while the guitarist does the begining lead riffs.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

On hearing the news of the death of Billy Powell, we decided that, in respect to him, we wouldn't play Freebird, but several other Skynrd songs instead.

We think he'd have approved.

We won't play the keyboard part.....

You know that if you do it once, you'll never be able to drop it again, do you? We have the same problem with our rap song. We did that once to conclude our set and voila, a year and a lead guitarist later we are still doing it.

Maybe we will be able to drop Gimmie 3 Steps or Pride and Joy....

:cry:I suggest a day of mourning for our brother Ross and his band. No news could be sadder, unless one of them came down with hyperacidity of the left hind leg or something... :cry:

:deadhorse:DIE!:deadhorse:FREEBIRD!:deadhorse:DIE!

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

It's iconic because it's good. There was a long time where it was played out. I'm not sure if we've crested that wave yet...

Having said that, we should play it. With the abilities of our guys and the preferences of our crowd, it would go over well. Maybe some day. For now we do 3 Steps and Simple Man.

My favorite is still Swamp Music.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

IF I had to choose, "On The Hunt" would be my favorite Skynyrd tune, closely followed by "The Needle & A Spoon". Maybe add "Saturday Night Special". But if I had my druthers, I'd play Charlie Daniels and The Allman Bros instead of Lynyrd Skynyrd, any day.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

IF I had to choose, "On The Hunt" would be my favorite Skynyrd tune, closely followed by "The Needle & A Spoon". Maybe add "Saturday Night Special". But if I had my druthers, I'd play Charlie Daniels and The Allman Bros instead of Lynyrd Skynyrd, any day.

The Allman Bros. by a mile any day.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

You need to knock some of the front teeth off your fans' mouths if you're gonna play Skynyrd. One full set of teeth in the front row only.

And this would be great if you play the guitar solo on a 6 string bass. I will do that one day, but I'm not going to tell the guitarist. :rawk:

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Warwick Corvette Proline 2005

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

You need to knock some of the front teeth off your fans' mouths if you're gonna play Skynyrd. One full set of teeth in the front row only.

This is already the crowd we have.... I am serious.... Our crowds are not pretty. They fight too much, drink too much and smell bad. But they show up every week wherever we play.... can't beat it.

Saturday Night Special was the song that caused my personal discovery of Skynyrd and southern rock. No sacrilege playing Free Bird if you can carry it off.

I saw The Outlaws at BB Kings in NYC last month. The opening act closed with Free Bird (after several funny, funny a-holes yelling for it:deadhorse:). I rolled my eyes when they started but damn if they didn't pull it off.

Good luck.

Push the button Frank.

Archived