Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dead spots ???

tarsia

O.K. ~ I've heard this term before, but I just realized

that my Jazz Bass has a dead spot on the G-string at the 7th fret "D", is this common ? it almost sounds like a harmonic

overtone.. truly weird ! I've tried adjusting the action & truss rod, no go... any ideas ? wasn't there a brass clamp

thing to put on the headstock to eliminate these ??

Anybody have any experience with this ?

None of my other basses seem to suffer from this ~ could it be a neck or fret thing ? I'm about to go O.C. about this !

HELP !!!!

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could try the clamp, although that usually just moves the problem somewhere else.

You could do the same thing with a woodworking clamp as an experiment - see if it does anything.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I found a dead spot on my bass once but I don't know if it was an actual "dead spot" as I'm not sure what they are exactly but anywho I found the C on my G string was really dull and didn't ring properly so I got someone to do a fret dress on it. Changed the bass completely. Definately my favourite axe now.

Maybe try that?

Status 6 String

Fender Jazz V 24

Fender Jazz Deluxe V (Mex)

Trace Elliot RAH400SMX

Gallien Kreuger MB2

Epifani 210

What to do depends on the bass but it relates to mechanical resonance some of the time. On my Jazz Bass I find that slight relief, rather than very-nearly-straight relief, provides the best resonance and sustain and eliminates the most dead spots. On either of my two Ric basses it's the opposite--they like to be straighter. But in any case you are seeking to set the relief in such a way that the highest mechanical resonance occurs between the neck and body portions, and you will know you have when the notes ring a bit louder and clearer and your dead spots will probably disappear, at least in large part.

If it is something else causing it like a bad rod, I can't be of help, as I've never been through that. Sorry :( Someone here would likely know what to do, though...

That dead spot in that position is fairly common among Fender jazz basses. It's actually one of the things I was watching out for when I got my MIM 5. It still has a slight dead spot there but with fresh strings it's unnoticeable. My Ibanez active 4 has one on the 5th fret but again, between setup, EQ and right hand technique, it's pretty unnoticeable.

Sorry, I can't really advise on what to do about it since I haven't had to deal with one bad enough to worry about.

I only noticed this as of recently & wondering if I have a bad string or the particular size of the string might have something to do with this (strings are fairly new) ?? I guess some experimentation is in order ~ beside what I've did already.....

I'll try a temporary clamp device, the old string if I can find it, or a different gauge etc... I did try re-tuning & it seemed to be the note that was dead rather than the fret, makes me think more of a resonance issue ~ no ?

Anyway, Thanks for all the Hints & Advice I'll be trying anything if it works ! & I am also working on a replacement fretless neck for this Bass, so that should be interesting.

Rock On !

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

all my basses have dead spots. just so you know. they are all passive (3 precisions and 1 jazz bass).

when you listen to the basstrack of a lot of songs from the 60's and/or 70's you'll notice a dead spot here and there. it hasn't bothered me and -as far is i am concerned - is the nature of the beast.

cheerio!

...is the nature of the beast.

cheerio!

Oh, but it's not... There are many many beasts out there of a different nature without dead spots. Whether the dead spots bother you or not is a totally different story.

...and leave your cereal preference out of this. ;)

Have you had any fretwork done on this J? Just a thought..if the trussrod adjustment doesn't work, maybe that's it.
Just when you think you've seen it all, a 53 year old woman (whose basses are taller than she is) comes along and blows everybody away. Strange days indeed.

Archived