Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Led Zep; DVD; SRTS (long post)

Hi, I've been searching the web for an answer to my questions but keep coming up short. I thought I should ask you very intellegent folk if you knew what was up. I have been watching the Led Zeppelin DVD alot lately (My 5 year old son is hooked on it; I may have created a monster). The Earl's Court segment is, IMHO, the cleanest and best I've ever heard Page play; alot less slop than normal, great tone, like he'd really been practicing/playing ALOT. Due to my son's recent discovery, we rented The Song Remains the Same (SRTS) DVD. I hadn't seen it in a LONG time. (Saw it in the theater and a couple of times on VHS). I was amazed to see how LITTLE (practically none!!!) of the video was in sync with the audio. Time and time again, Page was shown playing chords while a lead was going on, Bonzo's snare hits are off etc, etc. (I am actually going somewhere with this). Here is my question/hypothosis: 1. SRTS would have been in post production about the same time as the Earl's Court show. 2. The band's sound on SRTS is almost identical to the Earl's Court show. 3. It's obvious (from repeated viewings) that most if not all of SRTS audio was replaced. So... was audio on The Song Remains the Same completely redone in studio around the time of the Earl's Court show? Sincerly, Sherlock Holmes (John's "smaller" brother)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if any of the audio was [i]replaced[/i]... I do know that it was alot easier [faster/cheaper] to edit film footage if you weren't too concerned about it syncing up to the audio... ;)

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

I enjoy reading this kind of trivia from time to time - how much is true I couldn't say. Here's a link the just scratches the surface of the splicing of SRTS: http://www.buckeye-web.com/ifmtl3.html There is a more detailed one out there that attempted to correlate splices with which concert it came from... Someone else might remember the link if this'll jog a few memories. kylen

Thanks Rob ! That's exactly what I was speaking of ... incredible cataloging of the commercial Led Zep live source material. Looks like the commercial stuff was matched against bootlegs of the same shows. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was listening for while watching the new DVD... all I heard was incredible power, isolation and clarity. kylen

Archived