Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this an authentic Bill Evans transcription?

Jazz+

I am wondering if this arrangement of "Time Remembered" could be authentic. I don't recognize this version, can anybody identify it? It's similar to the three versions I do know and Evans played the intro almost the same each time.

"Time Remembered" transcription (spelling mistakes in bar 13):

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/scorch.asp?ppn=SC0018363

The Scorch browser is required to view the above score. If you don't already have Scorch, here is a link to the free Scorch downwload:

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/download/get.pl?com=sh&prod=scorch

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaargh. When I connect to the site, it says that "Time Remembered" is not available for sale in Italy, and shows no score. Sorry.

I know four or five version of the song, and I have transcriptions for two.

Here it is on an Italian site:

http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/se/ID_No/31432/Product.aspx

I have not purchased it yet.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

That Italian site wants the chart to be purchased to view it. Well, I tried - sorry. If I could even see the handwriting, I'd know.

edit: I tried again, and after it crashed by browser, I finally got it. There's no handwriting on the page, so it's not an authentic Bill Evans handwritten chart. You had mentioned something about spelling on the chart in your first post, which is edited out now, but the handwriting would have told me.

Thanks playsthe88s.

Dr. Whack, on the learnjazzpiano.com forum, says he recognizes it from "The Bill Evans Trio - Since We Met" album.

Interesting. Out of the 80+ Bill Evans albums I own "Since We Met" aint' one of them....

The first page (all I could see) is note for note from the Half Moon Bay version. Is it possible that he played the intro exactly the same on "Since We Met"? Seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened!

I suppose he could have played it the same. Those two sixteenth pick up notes do not occur on the four versions I have heard, none of which are the "Half Moon Bay" or "Since We Met" versions.

On "Bill Evans - Half Moon Bay" is it one chorus of solo piano before the bass and drums enter?

Archived