Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help me again please

simus35

after reading my first post i made i decide to not buy a multi-effect for bass and buy a better bass ( I got OLP StingRay 5). but now. for the bass head (transistor or all tube) i know for guitar is better tube (is what i had for my guitar) but for bass i don't know. i just find the new traynor YBA200-2 and i would like to know if is a good choice

thanks again and excuse my bab english

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh, those Canadians are ALWAYS making excuses. ( :) )

YIKES!!! $879?!?! IS that your budget? You can EASILY find a head (used for that matter) in that price range with a better reputation.

The thing is WHAT YOU LIKE!! Take YOUR bass and plug into everything at stores on gigs, in the park. Try out everything and make your decision that way. We can tell you what WE use but it don't mean squat. We don't tell you want to eat (Rice Krispie Treats ROCK) and would you like it if we did?

Use yer ears and you'll be a happy thumping fool.

Brocko

oops, hope this is understandable!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

First, tube or solid state (transistors).

There are two parts to a bass amp - the preamp and the power amp.

Many bass amps have a tube in the preamp to give you a tube tone.

Not as many bass amps have tubes in the power amp. The main reason that bass players don't always get tube power amps is the weight of the amp.

That Traynor has tubes in the power and preamp. I haven't played it, so I don't know if it sounds great or has enough power for you. You should try out lots of amps (as Brocko says). If you have a speaker cabinet (you didn't mention speakers), bring your bass and your cab to the store and test everything. And take your time - that much money should be spent wisely.

Best of luck.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I agree with Brocko. Go to a big music store, take the fish with you and plug it into stuff. Everything you find. John Moyer uses a Randall guitar amp for his dirty channel, so go figure.

Personally I've never used Traynor, so I couldn't tell you. Also in many ways it depends on what you play, what sound you're going for.

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Warwick Corvette Proline 2005

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

Thanks for the answer. I forgot to tell you the style i like to play (i like to play Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Black Sabbath)

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

Yorkville is a fine Canadian company and I wouldn't worry about the quality. I used a Yorkville/Traynor amp happily for many years.

That amp head weighs 41 pounds. I'm sure it sounds fine, but there are a lot of great amps in that price range and most weigh a lot less.

p.s. I notice that Quebec license plates say "je me souviens".

What is it that a Québécois remembers?

yes Jeremy, is that (Quebecois remembers)

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

I have had a Yorkville (Traynor)keyboard amp for years and that baby is rock-solid.

Back in the early 1970's I used a Traynor bass head (tube) and that was for the time a great amp.

OP, you certainly could do worse than going Traynor....

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Well since you seem to be looking for exact answers

Geezer used to play through an Orange alltube guitar amp I believe (saw pics of him with one. After that i believe he went to Ampeg SVTs :D

I think the 350 watt solid state SVT is in your price range, and so is some SWR gear, which is really nice imo

Or just get a line 6, ive got the LD150 and that thing will do anything I tell it to

Archived