Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question on Knobs for Strat Project

Derrick1642607670

Ok so I have a project Strat that I'm putting together that I'm trying to keep semi original or at least have a little dose of uniqueness. Right now its too plain for my tastes; aged pu covers, switch tip, and knobs, mint green pick guard. Fender's design for a standard strat's knobs has been fairly static throughout the years So I thought about this. Is there any way I could find out if the spline of these would fit the standard american pot spline.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I realise that they are intended for their reissue amps but thats kind of what makes them appealing to me is that you won't find that on your everyday strat. I did find out that the limited edition series of the john mayer signature uses these knobs although finding just the knobs from the guitar will be a difficult task it seems

http://bp3.blogger.com/_VlUcqpDWx3c/R3bD1AsXR5I/AAAAAAAAABY/FYLf8aXrCTk/s400/John+Mayer+strat+2.jpg

Hmmn; do they have a set-screw like most vintage Fender amp-knobs, or are they a press-on fit type?

If they use a set-screw, then chances are good that you'd be able to use 'em; if the pots have split-shafts, just align the knobs set-screw with the split on the shaft, so that the tip of the screw will press against the opening there, and snug it up.

Find some retailers that you can buy those from, and ask them if they'll fit the shafts of the pots that you're using.

EDIT: After I posted this, your reply with that pic of Mayer's guitar came through; looks like they'll probably work for you.

You might also like some of these, or some of these...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I don't think there is anyone around me who carries them so I guess I'll have to just cross my fingers and get a set online somewhere or on ebay. I have the same theory as you Caevan, my options on ebay are knobs with set screws so that should give me some wiggle room if any.

Thanks for the help guys.

You can get those same amp-knobs from online retailers; I ran across a few looking for any info for you. If you can't find any in a search or two, Lemmy know and I'll backtrack and post links for ya... :cool:

For myself, I've been "researching" gold-plated skull-knobs and dice for switch-tips, for when I get my "Ruby Red" Les Paul with three P-90 "soap-bars" back from Gibson Repairs... !!

[font:Book Antiqua]Skull knobs! Yeeeaahh!![/font] :evil::rawk::thu::D:cool:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/8/8/4/250884.jpg

Here are some links for those white Fender amp-knobs:

MOJO Parts Fender White Barrel Knobs

(Hey- looks like they do have set-screws; at least the following do... )

Antique Electronic Supply KNOB - FENDER ORIGINAL, WHITE VINTAGE PKG OF 6 Genuine white vintage style Fender amp knobs

Antique Electronic Supply KNOB - WHITE, SET SCREW Generic white vintage, priced per single knob

Antique Electronic Supply Pricing & Ordering 'page

Most Fender amps (incl. all vintage models) use pots with 1/4" shafts. Those blonde knobs you're looking at will be too big for the split shafts on a strat. If you want to use these knobs, you'll need to put in pots with solid 1/4" shafts.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I imagine that on that Fender John Mayer Strat, the Fender Custom Shop guys either used pots with 1/4" shafts like Gabriel says, or possibly shimmed the knobs.

One of the 'pages I came across when I was searching for my previous posts here showed installation instructions for knobs that had a removable shim sleeve for either size shaft; I think it was a retailer's 'page detailing something from Q-Parts knobs, but I'm uncertain and haven't run across it yet (and please forgive me if I don't backtrack through a lot of "History" entries to find it again).

I imagine that it wouldn't be impossible to shim these in a simialr way yourself, but it would be a bit of detailed work just to essentially be able to use the "wrong" knobs.

I still think you aught to consider these, or these...

Not only will their installation be much simpler, but their smaller size makes them much more suitable to quick adjustments and volume-swell and fauxe-wah effects done on the guitar with the slip of a little finger. It's a ratio thing.

________ http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1sm/4937/Ivoroid_Dome_Knob.jpg ____________ http://www.allparts.com/store/images/thumbnail/PK_3270-000-307.jpg

Archived