Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick My New Rig!!! 4REELZ!!! j/k...sort of summarized

davio

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D

I'd love the NV412 if I had a roadie or three. They could carry the DB750 and subs as well.

Still haven't gotten a hold of Jim. Don and I have bounced around a couple ideas but I haven't committed just yet.

The Dickens is about to go on the block. I'm going to try and call Mr. Bergantino this week and see if there's any way to get out there in the near future.

For the moment, I'm leaning in the direction of (and we already know that that can change rather easily...especially with more gear to be played) the Carvin LSx1503 and an Acme Low B-1. From what I've gathered, the Carvin should give me what I'm looking for and it can give me plenty of sound when I need it (if not, it would be pretty easy to pick up a second one down the road since they're so inexpensive...but I think one will be plenty). The B-1 should be pretty sweet for my smaller gigs and rehearsals and my current head should have plenty of headroom. I'm considering picking up a 1U power amp that's used at Daddy's for a pretty good price to slide into the Bassman head for powering the Carvin if I go this route. The nice thing about this setup is that if I can sell the Dickens for my asking price, there won't be any out-of-pocket expense which is a BIG plus.

I ain't gonna lie to ya, I know a few folks who have not been pleased with the B1 even if happy with the B2 and B4. I also know a few who have liked it just fine. Compared to what I hear about the B2 and the B4, I think that the B1 gets more mixed reviews.

Good luck.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about it, as well. If I end up going this direction, I'd really like something very small and light (and inexpensive) but as far as the stuff I'm currently considering, I'm the least sure of the B-1.

I really like the idea of a tiny, light-weight 3-way cab that I can push with my current head for URB and low volume gigs (blues jams, musicals, coffee houses, etc.) but I'm not sure what to do since I'm feeling pretty limited in what I can try. I think I'm just spinning my wheels at this point, though, until I can get out somewhere to try stuff.

Brainstorming on lightweight alternatives around the same price as the B-1:

Genz-Benz Shuttle 10T

EA Wizzy 110

Epifani UL2-110

I've read stuff about EA speakers blowing. greenboy said the same thing when I talked to him over the weekend.

I dunno...

I tried out an Epifani 1x12 when I was shopping for my EBS. I was actually able to A/B it with the EBS Neo112. I felt like the EBS cab had a lot more booty and overall "umph" than the Epifani. The Epifani sounded like it was emphasizing some not-so pleasant mids.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

My line of thought right now is that if I go for the "larger cab, smaller cab" scenario, I'd only be using the smaller cab for URB, jams and rehearsals...stuff my ~25W practise amp can handle (it jsut doesn't sound good handling it). If this is what I end up doing, I'll want to make the smaler cab as compact and light as possible (because I'll be transporting it with the URB) while still getting a usable and somewhat flexable sound out of it. I was hoping that I'd be able to get good tones at low levels with the B-1 but everybody seems to think it's not up to snuff. Maybe I'll fall in love with a Berg AE112 if and when I get out there. We shall see.

I got an email response from one of my posts on craigslist offering a B-2 with padded cover for $350 but I don't think that's the way I want to go. I can get the Carvin for about the same price for the larger cab and the B-2 is larger and more power hungry than I'd like for the smaller gigs. Again, we shall see.

So...the dude from CL emailed me again and said that he was mistaken. It's a B-4, not a B-2. Easy to confuse the two...

If anybody wants to come to Boston to pick up a B-4 for $350, I'll put you in touch with the guy.

Currently I have a whopping 350W @ 4 Ohms. I know it's a killer deal, but at 70 lbs and 700W RMS, it doesn't put me much closer to my goal.

If you want it you can send me a check or something and I'll hold the cab until you can get to Boston...but it wouldn't help me unless I re-sell it which can be difficult locally (I already have one to deal with) and it's a pain to ship.

You guys are feeding my appetite for a 1x12...

Glad that my B2 is

4omhs otherwise i'd have pulled the triger already...

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Oh shit. That just threw everything out the window. I know it's not the newer extended range version and neither of those have a tweeter, but still...

Maybe if I can get this beast of mine sold soon I can snatch up two of those and maybe even flip one for an HT112.

How did I not find that before?

How 'bout a Fresca?

http://www.billjerome.com/tedknight/pics/caddy2.jpg

I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I...owed it to them.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived