Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick My New Rig!!! 4REELZ!!! j/k...sort of summarized

davio

Just to clarify, you'll have to buy Bergs at an authorized dealer. If he'll see you, you'll be treated to a complete explanation of how his stuff works and why it's so cool. Then I can try to set you up with The Groove Shoppe on LI for purchase. I know it's pricey, but don't forget there is an amplifier inside.

Don't be in such a hurry. Despite you telling others to "just buy", you need to take time to do this right.

Tom

I've been considering trying out some bergs, I could replace my Acme for a 1x12 and a 2x10 as long as they are really lightweight, I'm getting really lazy lately. :D

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay, I don't care where I purchase the stuff if I can try a like model out first. That's where my trouble's coming from. If it ends up coming from a retailer where I can return/exchange within a certain timeframe (ie. musiciansfriend.com), I can try stuff out that way.

I've always had pretty good luck with Zzounds -- good pricing and good CS, although I've never had to return anything, but they have a 30-day no questions return policy.

Anyways, if you want to try out any Eden gear and can't find any local, you can make a trip down to me when you're roadworthy again -- I have D210XLT, D210XST and D115XLT cabs.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'd offer to work some kind of trade with you for my SWR Super Redhead 2x10 combo, but I don't think it's quite right for your needs. Sounds like you really want a smaller, lighter combo.

That said, the Super Redhead combined with another 4 ohm 2x10 or the compact Son of Bertha 1x15 would give you plenty for any situation. However, it's tough to picture it sitting in the orchestra pit, where a 1x12 combo might do better.

Anyway, PM if you want to explore this.

Lots of good choices out there. I think you may be best served by looking for a lightweight head w/ 500W or so into 4 ohms -- plenty of those around, but they vary in terms of $$$. Then two 8 ohm cabs -- some combination of 1x12, 2x10, 1x15. Don't be put off by the 1x15 option. Some of them come in small packages with nice low mids.

Maybe it's time for you to write a summary post about where you are now given the advice you rec'd thus far.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'd offer to work some kind of trade with you for my SWR Super Redhead 2x10 combo...

That said, I've really enjoyed using this amp at a couple of gigs this past year and been delighted with it. We'll see if it actually stays on the FS/FT block.

Peace.

--SW

PS: Lightweight head and a Bag End 1x15 could be positively delightful. You can probably find the Bag End used for a decent price.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Pretty tempting, SW. I'd probably dig something like that and get another, smaller cab to use with my current head or as an extension but at 80lbs it doesn't really solve my problem with 3 flights of stairs.

I'll see what I can do for summarizing.

Facts:

Currently playing Fender Bassman 400 head (350W @ 4 Ohms) through AccuGroove Bill Dickens (~90 lbs).

I live up 3 flights of stairs and havent played a loud enough gig to justify the monster cab in ~2 years. I want to downsize and become modular for a variety of gigs.

Currently playing URB in a big band and bass guitar in a blues band with possible R&B and pit orchestras (for musicals) on the horizon.

Would prefer fairly powerful/light combo with extension cab or 2 good cabs (110, 210, 112 or 115not a huge fan of 15s but Ill try to remain open) to use with current head (Ill keep passively looking for a new head but not too worried about it for the moment). Would also prefer to keep each piece under 50 lbsunder 40 lbs would be awesome but that's not top priority.

Will be financing the bulk of purchase with sale or trade of current cab and (in the case of a combo) head. ~$1k for cab, ~$200-300 for headmaybe.

Plausible options so far from suggestions and my own conjecture (I wont necessarily be buying new from listed retailers, prices are just for reference):

-Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T + NEOX-112T ($1840 @ MF, 32+37 lbs)

-Markbass 121H combo + 121H cab ($1510 @ MF, 39+35 lbs)

-Mesa WalkAbout Scout 1x12 combo + Scout 1x12 cab ($1760 new @ Brians place, 50+37 lbs)

-Aguilar AG 500SC-112C combo + GS 112NT ($???, 69+40 lbs)

-Pair of Aguilar DB or GS 112s (~$1010 & $915 respectively @ MF, 45+42 & 42+39 lbs respectively)

-Pair of Acme Low B-2s ($1140 direct, 50+50 lbs)

-Acme Low B-1 and Low B-2 ($990 direct, 31+50 lbs)

-Markbass 102P and 121H ($1130 @ MF, 33+35 lbs)

-Eden D210XSTx2? ($1560 @ MF, 59+59 lbs)

-Pair of EBS NEO-112s (~$1200 nobody has prices online, 27+27 lbs)

-Bag End S10X-D + S15X-D ($1125 @ MF, 27+44 lbs)

-Bergantino HT112ER and EX112ER ($1180 @ Bass Cetral, 43+40 lbs)

Of those, the options that are piquing my interest most before trying more stuff are:

-Either Markbass setup

-Pair of Aguilar DB or GS 112s

-Acme Low B-1 and Low B-2

-Bergantino HT112ER and EX112ER

So far, these are judged on initial appeal from little bits of previous experience and stuff Ive read online, weight, immediate availability and retail price (even though Im just as likely to buy used if I can find it). However, Im not ruling anything out just yet.

If you have any more suggestions, experiences, pros and/or cons I havent thought of yetplease chime in.

FWIW I used to have a pair of the Bag End S15 cabs - the ones without the coax speaker. Great cabs and very extremely portable. I eventually wanted something with a faster response than the 15's were giving me. I wouldn't be sad if I had to use a single one for smaller gigs again.

I have raved on about the Bergs (as have others) over the years. Keep an eye on the used market, and maybe let some key retail locations (BassNW, BassCentral) know that you are looking in case they come in used.

I have to leave it to Acme owners to discuss what you've got there. I think one Acme B2 would be enough, but I could be wrong about that. Fine sounding stuff.

I did play the MarkBass 2x10 and thought it was pretty cool and very light - it would give you the option of buying a lower cost amp rather than spending for the full MarkBass package.

I have come to believe that the cabs are more important. If money is tight, I'd go for the cabs first and stay with a less expensive amp until later (I did this as well).

I am never in favor of "powerful" combos. For URB/small gigs they can be great. To be big enough for larger gigs, I have found that you are putting the weight of two items into one package. If need be, I can still carry a Berg (40 pounds) separately from my EA head (20 pounds with cables in the bag) - this is how they get from car to basement each time! To carry approximately 60 pounds at once seems unnecessary and less flexible. That's my opinion based only on the "carrying" part. I loved the sound of plenty of combos from old SWR Workingman 15s to Mesa Scouts.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Personally, I think you might be able to get away with one D210XST cab. There are quite efficient.

You're probably right, but I wouldn't want to tote one to a blues jam in a cramped corner or a pit orchestra. I think at least one single speaker cab is in order.

Today, I'm liking the idea of an Acme Low B-1 as the smaller cab and a more effecient 210 (Eden, Berg, Markbass...) as the larger since Acme's site says they crave power (like AGs) which I don't currently have. Still reading... Still waiting to get out and try them... Still accepting write-in votes... Batman and Ralph Nader are still in the running...

Man, I'm bad at this game.

I've been reading more and more and at the moment I'm thinking 2 similar cabs will be the way to go for what I want. Tom Bowlus's 1x10 shootout doesn't give the Acme Low B-1 the greatest review and I'm starting to think that if I get different cabs, I'd prefer one to be a small 3-way stand-alone cab for clarity and definition and the good ones aren't cheap...and then the bigger cab is likely to get heavy. Again, I'm drifting back towards 2x112.

Maybe I'll check around for good deals on a used Berg IP112. TB had a few go for $1200-1500. Maybe I can live with just one of those for the moment until I can get up the scratch for another 112...if I end up needing one.

Either way, I've emailed Jim Bergantino to see if I can drop by his shop...so the first step to trying new gear has been taken. I'm going to call the 2 accessable GCs and see if they have anything in stock that I'd be interested in.

Or go a 1x12 and a 2x10 -- I hear that the Eden D112XLT and the D210XST cabs match nicely, and are both nice cabs in their own right.

You can then use one, the other, or both.

Best of both worlds.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Oh man...

I just found out that a certain retailer is having a limited time sale (which they're not advertising the prices of online) on their Aguilar GS 112s...I could pick up a pair for under $700! I might do that and see if they'll suit my needs. If not, I can always resell them for a profit!

I've also been emailing Don at Low Down Sound and he's been kind enough to give me some of advice and might actually get a sale out of me in the end. We'll see...

Still no reply from Jim Bergantino.

Aguilar GS 112s...

do not want.

have you played them yet? make sure you play them first.

(this is, incidentally, the advice that capasso gave me. i ended up buying an HT-112 after about three minutes with it; i played a GS112 for nearly an hour with a bunch of different amps and never got comfortable.)

I've also been emailing Don at Low Down Sound and he's been kind enough to give me some of advice and might actually get a sale out of me in the end. We'll see...

do it. do it.

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/7138/dooit3ht.gif

Still no reply from Jim Bergantino.

call him. that is the only way to reach him.

i am glad you're looking at genzbenz, because i was going to suggest their 212 -- it's about half the weight of the dickens, and will feel rather spritely at its size.

the other one that i would suggest is the eden nemesis 210 combo. i'm sure you can find them used for cheap in varying generations. i have always enjoyed the sound of nemesis amps -- moreso, even, than eden's main line.

have you considered avatar?

robb.

have you played them yet?

I have not.

i played a GS112 for nearly an hour with a bunch of different amps and never got comfortable.

It's good to hear a negative oppinion since just about all of the reviews I've been able to find online have been glowing. Can you tell me what you didn't like about them?

do it. do it.

:D I just might... He just emailed me again and I feel like he's pulling me over to the blue side.

call him. that is the only way to reach him.

I'll do that.

genzbenz...212

greenboy suggested I check those out some time ago before I bought the Dickens. Might be worth a revisit. I seem to remember running across one at Sam Ash some time ago and really liking it.

eden nemesis 210 combo

I've also played one of these at Bass Central and I remember digging it. I played the 410 version at my dad's church (I filled in for their bass player who has one) and I remember thinking the 210 sounded better...probably because it's the same power going to 1/2 the speakers. *shrug*

have you considered avatar?

Not yet, but I'm reading about them now.

Behringer baby...

Your mother smells of elderberries.

i played a GS112 for nearly an hour with a bunch of different amps and never got comfortable.

It's good to hear a negative oppinion since just about all of the reviews I've been able to find online have been glowing. Can you tell me what you didn't like about them?

i sure can. no cut. no definition. i'm using an amp, presumably, so i (and others) can hear me. and i think it's kind of essential for a small cabinet to cut through the mix because it won't overpower the mix.

i've played them alone and a stack in a noisy room. it just never got the tone that i like. i'm not looking for thick bass. i like a cabinet that forgoes the really low numbers for some tightness and definition. i want to cut through with some coherent mids. the GS-112 sounded like just another scooped cabinet, but without the high end to zing through and too small to really get the deep lows. i honestly don't understand why anyone likes them. obviously they do, but i don't get it.

i fart in their general direction.

robb.

There was a 1x12 shootout in BP some time back. The Aguilar GS112 won, but I heard some scuttlebutt that it was extremely close, with the Berg being the "next". It was at a time when the previous tech editor went to work for....Aguilar.

My experience with the GS112 is exactly like Robb's (which is why I warned him to play first). They have a certain sound, and you may like it (lots of people seem to, since they've sold well). I think you won't, but only your ears can tell for sure.

I haven't played much of the other stuff you are looking at.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Doing some comparison shopping can be VERY helpful. I did that when I was shopping for my own 1x12", and that's how I wound up picking my EBS cab. I was able to do a few direct comparisons, but in other cases I had to go by my memory.

The constants I tried to maintain? Using the same bass and preferably the same amp. Set everything flat and take it from there.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I really appreciate the input, guys.

I've been calling around to just about every music store I've found around the area and with the exception of the Markbass stuff at GC, it doesn't seem like anybody has anything I'm particularly interested in trying.

I've exchanged a few messages with greenboy this past week and from reading a bunch of his past posts on TB I've been looking at the Carvin LSx1503 as another option. It's a full-range 3-way PA speaker that's a little heavier than I'd prefer but still a big relief from the AG and it's sinfully inexpensive...and has an uncannily flat frequency response across its range (52Hz-18kHz (-3dB), 46Hz-20kHz (-10dB)). He's also suggested a direct replacement Eminence Neo 15 for the woofer that would improve the sound and make it a little bit lighter.

I'm looking forward to my phone call with him. I have entirely too many questions.

i sure can. no cut. no definition. i'm using an amp, presumably, so i (and others) can hear me. and i think it's kind of essential for a small cabinet to cut through the mix because it won't overpower the mix.

i've played them alone and a stack in a noisy room. it just never got the tone that i like. i'm not looking for thick bass. i like a cabinet that forgoes the really low numbers for some tightness and definition. i want to cut through with some coherent mids. the GS-112 sounded like just another scooped cabinet, but without the high end to zing through and too small to really get the deep lows. i honestly don't understand why anyone likes them. obviously they do, but i don't get it.

I had the exact same experience as robb with the GS112, at Rudy's in New York. I wanted to like the cabient (even though it is bigger than it looks because of the depth), but couldn't do it. I ended up with the Bergantino, too.

The Bergie AE112 is actually not that pricey, IMO. Rudy's in Manhattan wanted $600 for that. I'm just not sure of the weight though. But it sounded fantastic. Even when I tuned down to low A, it was able to handle that pitch pretty well.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived