Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Early fuzz effects. How?

RocketRick

Well ifn ya gotta know, look at the sine waves on a oscilloscope.

How do I know, well in 1964/65 I heard the Almond Joys in Daytona Beach. Now that was you know who. Side note: I went out with their sister that night to and she was a cutie. We just enjoyed being alive, dancin' in the moonlight sort of thing. Literally.

Well anyways, nest summer I was reading a magazine about guitar

effects. There was a schematic for fuzz tones. Might have been GP don't remember. Well I was working with this supper smart electrical engineer from Ga Tech named Ronnie Thompson in Macon.,.. I showed him the article and guess what.

Well I worked in the metal shop making those round turrets for Gatlin guns on the Huyies. Viet Nam and all. Well he developed a fuzz box circuit and I made the anodized metal box. It had an in and an out and gave that same tone that the Bros used in Daytona Beach.

Now guess how they made that tone in Daytona. Well it was at some sort of civic center in Brevard County. Maybe not in Daytona proper.guess.???????

Can anyone guess how they did it back then.

I bet ya can't. I stood there on the floor and the song they played was "Heart Full Of Soul"

Ok guess. Who can tell me how the early Bros made that tone/sound?

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opps ...a senior moment.

I heard the Joys in ard 1966 in Fla and we built the very first fuzz tone in the summer of 1967. That was my first year back from college.

I stink that magazine was electronic musician but not sure of that.

Well I thought since the story was about the early Allman Bros Band more folk would appreciate the story. Weird..!!!!

Here's how they did it. They took a comb and wrapped cellophane around it and blew across the comb. Worked great as far as that song went..Neat huh?

Necessity is truly the mother huh?

Funny! (You'll see that I already laughed and went on about this on that other thread where you brought this up.) Funny, and got the job done, but not very guitar-hero like! ;):thu::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I heard the Joys in ard 1966 in Fla and we built the very first fuzz tone in the summer of 1967. That was my first year back from college.

I stink that magazine was electronic musician but not sure of that.

Electronic Musician didn't exist in the 60's. It was originally called Polyphony & started sometime in the mid-late 70's as the house publication of electronic kit company PAIA.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Man Paul that's a interesting site for sure.

We didn't have that in the summer of 1967. What was cool about the one we made was it plugged into the guitar sos you could adjust it on the fly and it in turn plugged into the amp(my orig Twin from Bibb Music in Macon)

rick

it plugged into the guitar sos you could adjust it on the fly and it in turn plugged into the amp...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rick, that kinda jogged my memory. Around that time I remember quite a few guys using something like that(store bought), but never paid enough attention to commit the name/brand to memory. Just a little black box with a knob. Sure sounded sweet tho, and the adjustment right there at your fingertips.

Best, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

paully,

I never saw one in the store at that time. The elec Eng made the circuit and it worked just fine. I may have had it in the case when the Firebird got stolen..

No doubt the circuit we used was prob just about what you saw.

Archived