Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

synth solo "Desdemona" from Kids from Fame

zephonic

As a kid I loved the 80's TV show "Kids from Fame". I recently found those songs again and am awed by the sophistication of the music. There's one song on the album "Kids from Fame" called "Desdemona" that features an absolutely phenomenal synth solo (one of the BEST I've ever heard). Can anybody tell me who the player is? I've googled this to no avail. Thanks.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fact, there's killer synths all over that album! The "Desdemona" solo sounds not unlike Robbie Buchanan's solo on George Benson's 1983 rendition of "Feel like making love".

Just found credits on Discogs. It lists David Garfield, Jai Winding, John Hobbs, Lee Curreri, Michael Boddicker and Robbie Buchanan as the keyboardists on that album. I'll wager it was Buchanan!

Another question: is that solo done with an Oberheim, Chroma or Prophet?

Thanks for that Jerry, but the solo in that YouTube vid is not the one on the record! This one is just so-so, but the one on the record is absolutely off the chain. I'll risk a copyright infringement and post the original recording on YouTube.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HsD1Ni9MtA

Solo starts at 2:07

You owe it to yourself to check it out. Not only is the playing great, the sound he uses is PHAT as well. I'm still thinking Robbie Buchanan (on account of the solo he did on the Benson) but if you know who it is and/or what synth he's playing please fill me in.

k, Tusk, thanks for that. Meanwhile, I'm uploading the George Benson song with the Robbie Buchanan solo for comparison. Anybody agree it is the same guy on the Fame thing? And what synth does he use on "Feel like making love"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejr46EUH2g

The second example sounds a bit like a Memorymoog to me (can't be sure by any means), but the first one is so buried in the mix that it's hard to guess. Also, the excessive (to my ears) use of mod wheel-controlled vibrato makes it even less recognizable. I'd say it's safe to say that it's the same player, though.

If it's not the same player, it's from the same influence set. This reminds me of a particular kind of writing that emerged around that time. Straighter than prog, but with some "pattern-based" classical idiom. You see the rock versions of this solo by the Toto keyboardists (especially the runs in 3rds). (Much later) I've heard Scott Wilkie structure his solos in a similar manner. Perhaps he is drawing from the same influence set.Regards,

Jerry

Archived