Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A good 88 weighted $300-500??

fb000

I like the feel of the P140 but too expensive.

Looking for something basic to practice on with speakers and

don't need various sounds or sequencer....just something with weighted keys used new or otherwise.

What is standard fare for this price range?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback.

Would you agree that in comparison to yamahas the Priva's keys seem a little on the light side.(that was my impression when I flirted with it)

I guess you get what you pay for.

Do the P85 and P70 have weighted keys?

Thanks for the feedback.

Would you agree that in comparison to yamahas the Priva's keys seem a little on the light side.(that was my impression when I flirted with it)

I guess you get what you pay for.

Do the P85 and P70 have weighted keys?

I don't know that you would like the Yamaha a whole lot more, but yes, they do have weighted keys. Full specs and info on these units would be on Yamaha's website if you wanted to research the basics.

I like the feel of the P140 but too expensive.

Looking for something basic to practice on with speakers and

don't need various sounds or sequencer....just something with weighted keys used new or otherwise.

What is standard fare for this price range?

If it's just for the house, an acoustic rental is also an option.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Yeah, the Privia keys are a bit heavier to the touch than the Yamahas. Somebody confirmed this by measuring their resistance a while ago. My hands can confirm it, too. :)

If, on the other hand, you find the response of the Privias easier for your own playing, that's a different matter. Touch is highly subjective.

+1 on the Privias. They are, indeed, a bit heavier, but that's exactly what my hands need -- keys that push back. I use a privia 555R (discontinued model) that I got for around the middle of your price range and it's pretty good. I'm able to do a lot of midi stuff, the on-board sounds are more than adequate, and it's fine for gigging, too.

Yep, for the money, the Privias deliver the goods. Not sure I would tour long term with one, but hard to go wrong in that price range.

If you want to notch it up just a bit and have a better controller experience, check the Yamaha CP33, which has pitch and mod wheels as well as a few assignable sliders. Under 40 lbs and just over $1k. I like 'em.

If you want to notch it up just a bit and have a better controller experience, check the Yamaha CP33, which has pitch and mod wheels as well as a few assignable sliders. Under 40 lbs and just over $1k. I like 'em.

Thanks, specs look good, and under 40lbs. :thu:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I think the Privias sound better than say, a Yamaha P80 (which is rather dated, after all). I'm less familiar with the 85 and 70.

Yes, the Privia action feels heavier.

BTW, static key weight measurements can be misleading, though in this case they're not. Static measurements measure the counterbalance torque. But the heaviness of an action depends just as much, or more, on rotational inertia (mass). The two are related, but a designer can increase one while decreasing the other and vice versa (by changing the weight distribution, i.e., distance from the fulcrum).

Archived