Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who played organ with Tony Williams Lifetime?

heard the "best of" off an unlabeled ripoff CD... some very original organ playing, playing with the drawbars almost constantly, like I dearly love to hear.... so who is it? I gotta get a legit copy for my own consumption!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be Larry Young. From Allmusic - "If Jimmy Smith was "the Charlie Parker of the organ," Larry Young was its John Coltrane. One of the great innovators of the mid- to late '60s, Young fashioned a distinctive modal approach to the Hammond B-3 at a time when Smith's earthy, blues-drenched soul-jazz style was the instrument's dominant voice. Initially, Young was very much a Smith admirer himself. After playing with various R&B bands in the 1950s and being featured as a sideman with tenor saxman Jimmy Forrest in 1960, Young debuted as a leader that year with Testifying, which, like his subsequent soul-jazz efforts for Prestige, Young Blues (1960), and Groove Street, (1962), left no doubt that Smith was his primary inspiration. But when Young went to Blue Note in 1964, he was well on his way to becoming a major innovator. Coltrane's post-bop influence asserted itself more and more in Young's playing and composing, and his work grew much more cerebral and exploratory. Unity, recorded in 1965, remains his best-known album. Quick to embrace fusion, Young played with Miles Davis in 1969, John McLaughlin in 1970, and Tony Williams' groundbreaking Lifetime in the early '70s. Unfortunately, his work turned uneven and erratic as the '70s progressed. Young was only 38 when, in 1978, he checked into the hospital suffering from stomach pains, and died from untreated pneumonia. The Hammond hero's work for Blue Note (as both a leader and a sideman) was united for Mosaic's limited-edition six-CD box set The Complete Blue Note Recordings."

I thought the name Young sounded familiar... being a Hendrix fan I picked up a funny looking album some time back - Hendrix looks like Einstein a little on the cover. Inside are some really cool [long] jams with Larry Young on keys... besides the album I think some of it has been released on CD. http://www.me.umn.edu/~kgeisler/jjazz.html I haven't read much about this phase of either Hendrix or Youngs career but the article above gives a little taste... kylen

I thought it might be Larry Young. I remembered the name from a discussion of TW Lifetime. But I'd heard Larry Young with Hendrix, and the organ playing is *nowhere* as good on that 9 to the Universe album. I'm gonna have to find some more and listen up!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived