Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond C3 Preamp rebuild

Blues Disciple

Hey all,

I just got a quote on a rebuild for my Hammond C3 preamp---$500 to 700. Is that about right? Less than can be expected? Or more than should be expected?

The place requires payment on the barrelhead up front for repairs and I don't have that much, so I guess I'll bring my silent beast home.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sounds pretty high to me since you can get a total replacement for the same or less. If the beast is silent right now it may only need some tubes which can be bought as a set from Goff or individually from Antique Electronics. If it were me, I'd try that first. It can't hurt and you'll probably get a better deal on this part of the restoration than you would from your rebuilder.

It's important to see what is included in the rebuild. For that money it should be gutted leaving only the transformer(s). All caps resistors, tubes etc replaced. It's a typical price, but if you shop around you may be able to get it for more like $500. Also note that these are available from a variety of Hammond places for that price or less. This rebuilder may just have a few of these around and swap them out. You don't get the original preamp back, just a generic rebuild.

Do the research

Regards,

Musicale

Archived